What's in Your Fruit Bowl ?

Bananas, Gala apples, nectarines, Bing cherries, red grapes and strawberries. Actually, the strawberries are in the fridge because they’re the most perishable. I went a bit nuts, or should I say, fruity, at Target yesterday. 🤣 🍌 🍎 🍑 🍒 🍇 🍓

I also wanted a box of cut mango and some radishes, but the store didn’t have either. However, I have a medical appointment in Tarzana next Tuesday, and there’s a Whole Foods right next door, so I plan to make a quick stop in the produce department after my appointment. This will be my first visit to a Whole Foods since the company was bought by Amazon.

Reactions: Raven
I just finished freezing a case of blueberries. I'm still waiting for the half case of peaches to ripen, so I can start cutting them into slices and freezing. I split a case with my daughter.

I use the method of putting a couple cups of fruit on a baking sheet, so they aren't touching, and then freeze about 15 minutes. It works nice to keep the fruit from freezing together. I froze 5 pounds in a couple hours.

It works really nice for basil. I've been getting a lot of basil from the aerogarden, and I use the same method. Just lay the leaves on the baking sheet, and freeze solid in about 10-15 minutes.

Just went shopping so I have bananas, clementines, apples, blueberries, watermelon and some huge black cherries.

Reactions: Tom L.
Strawberries:
There is surely no fresh soft fruit to compete on flavour. (Perhaps blueberries?)

We grow our own and are just coming to the end of a very good crop. The worst problem is that they come in a huge flush and so we freeze a lot. That ruins the cell structure but they can go into smoothies. Or you can make jam long after the warm summer days are gone. And there is no greater treat than a hot strawberry pie in mid-winter.

Last season we had less than a single small bowl full. A family of grey squirrels took up residence in an old sycamore tree. They are such clever critters. They jump up and down on the plastic netting until a berry pokes through a hole in the mesh.

So this year we resorted to making a cage using chicken wire on a wooden framework made from roofing laths. Sorry squirrels. Had to do it.

Roger.

• Haha
Reactions: Raven and EllieW
When I lived in the country strawberries and raspberries grew wild, and they were the tastiest strawberries I've ever had! Smaller than conventional, and super super red, like candy

I finally got good nectarines! From Trader Joes. I think I have to go back for more- I was about to give up, the ones I got were so bad!
Now I need a good watermelon! I got a new tip--the dark green lines should be two fingers apart

• Love
Reactions: Raven and EllieW
I only buy pink lady apples now, I have them, bananas and oranges in my bowl at the moment.

Reactions: EllieW