What would you do if you won a million dollars?

Hog

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Unfortunately, would do something responsible like investing it in an index fund. If somebody said that I could only spend the million dollars on fun personal indulgences the answer would be different. I would probably take a two week vacation in Las Angeles and see every tourist attraction. I would also stay in a fancy hotel and visit a bunch of vegan restaurants. I do not like driving. So I would use a chauffeur service.

We are in the fortunate position of being comfortably well enough off in our modest lifestyle. We have no need or desire to accumulate further riches. In fact I have the nagging thought that we are on the borderline of leaving inheritances to our children that might be a little too large for their own good.

Warren Buffet has described a similar problem but on a gargantuan scale. So, this would be my use of an extra million or preferably several millions:

I would set up a not for profit franchise business operating initially in University towns. Youngish vegan chefs would be supported and enabled to run their own restaurants on the understanding that they would not be just eating houses but social hubs and centres for the promotion of veganism.

Profits would be invested in similar enterprises and eventually it would be hoped to also found a school for aspiring vegan only chefs.

The future of veganism surely lies with the enthusiasm of the young.

Roger.

I would start a community that would accommodate older women and men, that are monetarily challenged, that would be self sustaining.

Off-grid, solar, water collection, gardens/greenhouse. A joyous, simple place.

Emma JC

We are in the fortunate position of being comfortably well enough off in our modest lifestyle. We have no need or desire to accumulate further riches. In fact I have the nagging thought that we are on the borderline of leaving inheritances to our children that might be a little too large for their own good.

Warren Buffet has described a similar problem but on a gargantuan scale. So, this would be my use of an extra million or preferably several millions:

I would set up a not for profit franchise business operating initially in University towns. Youngish vegan chefs would be supported and enabled to run their own restaurants on the understanding that they would not be just eating houses but social hubs and centres for the promotion of veganism.

Profits would be invested in similar enterprises and eventually it would be hoped to also found a school for aspiring vegan only chefs.

Roger.

Rogerjolly, what world are you living in? You've said that we are so well-off that it may be just too much for us. It's quite contrary, and this also concerns the whole Western world. Poverty is extreme. I'm writing right now a paper on the poverty of formally educated persons. People who eat meat and who are against animals are not, however, my concern, so I don't care. Still, many vegans who have worked very hard at school live in extreme poverty.

Roger.
Rogerjolly,. surely, there is no adequate promotion of veganism all over the Earth and your idea is very interesting. People are too mindless to support animals on their own: a promotion would work where there is no Reason.

Reactions: Hog
I'd probably go back to school, and after I would have graduated as an veterinary technician, I'd move into a house with a balcony and spoil my cat. I'd also like to have a food forest. After all that, I'd give some money to animal rights movements.

And, let's be real here... I would of course still work, because I love working... but I'd probably be working only part time, and the rest of the time I'd dedicate to playing Skyrim, reading all the books I don't usually have time to read, writing my stories and being with loved ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Hog and TofuRobot
A million dollars at what age? 1 mil would only earn about 24K/mo in interest just sitting in the bank, maybe a little more. Given that the average american over 50 spends approx 45K/mo, where is the rest going to come from? What if you live to be 90 or even older? If you're young, 1 mil isn't very much at all. Nowhere near what it was when I was younger.

Perhaps some of you are fortunate enough to already have money put away for retirement, or you have investments currently, but I do not. 1 mil would basically be a jump start for me to start doing what I need to do to be able to retire at a reasonable age (I just turned 54 on Thursday).

If we're talking about a million extra dollars upon passing, honestly, I'd give some to worthy animal rights and environmental causes, distributing among several, including animal sanctuaries 'n' such, but I'd also make sure my final expenses and arrangements were completely paid for (something along the lines of one of these ideas ), and a decent chunk of that I'd leave for my son. I'd very likely direct some funds towards new technologies that have the potential to reduce the need for plastics, or are developing eco-friendly replacements.

But the real question then becomes what would I actually do... If I had enough money to retire right now, I'd probably spend a lot more of my time volunteering (The Gentle Barn or Sea Shepherd are 2 that come to mind), traveling (biking tour around Europe, anyone?), exercising, making art (sewing is my thing), and like @StrangeOtter , spending more time with my loved ones - none of which I seem to find the time to do right now.

...I have a friend who needs a couple of front teeth. I'd set him up with some. Heck, I might even take care of the final expenses for my son's dad. My primary goal is not only not to be a financial burden to my son when I pass, but to have something to leave behind for him. If there's cash left over to give away, it's going to animal sanctuaries for rescued farm animals, and other animals that are rescued from various other exploitative practices around the world. Some would go to my local ASPCA.

Reactions: Emma JC
Rogerjolly, what world are you living in? You've said that we are so well-off that it may be just too much for us. It's quite contrary, and this also concerns the whole Western world. Poverty is extreme. I'm writing right now a paper on the poverty of formally educated persons. People who eat meat and who are against animals are not, however, my concern, so I don't care. Still, many vegans who have worked very hard at school live in extreme poverty.
I'm pretty sure Roger was talking about himself and his family, personally. Not "we" as in the vegan community.

Reactions: Emma JC
I really like the people at this form a lot. I would do one more thing if I won a million dollars. I would fly us all down to Las Vegas. They have huge buffets. I bet lots of that food is vegan. We could catch a few shows. Drink some vegan beer.

I really like the people at this form a lot. I would do one more thing if I won a million dollars. I would fly us all down to Las Vegas. They have huge buffets. I bet lots of that food is vegan. We could catch a few shows. Drink some vegan beer.
I certainly know how you feel.