What would happen to our pets

vegansarecool

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hey there I have a Question,
If the world went vegan -I don't mean overnight- what would happen to our pets?
I mean dogs, cats, some reptiles, fish etc. I know that some People have put their dogs
and cats on a vegan diet but I am not very sure About that. So if all the humans went vegan
we would stop consuming animal products, so we wouldnt have to kill animals
so that we can eat them but what would we feed our pets?

Thanks in Advance!

Not sure. Many hardcore vegans don't believe it's ok to keep pets.

We have a resident expert here called VeganDogs who has explained about vegan diets for dogs AND cats. You can look up some of his/her threads.

Tell you the truth I can't imagine a vegan world. but then I don't have a great imagination. I think there might always be some people who eat animals. Some land is only suitable for grazing. So we might always have some livestock on that. Chickens do pretty good in gardens, providing fertilizer and eating bugs. And as long as there are some animals butchered there will be those extra parts that can be fed to animals.

Or maybe we will just all have vegetarian pets.

Reactions: vegansarecool
I think the pets would be fine although obviously it's trickier for cats.

But a solution is likely possible. Maybe the vegan world will have to accept lab grown meat for cats, or let their cats hunt where appropriate.

Anyway, this is the type of things that people can worry about if and when when the world is already 90% vegan, which is not likely to happen in our lifetimes at least. So it's probably nothing to worry about.

If the reason for question is to try and win a debate with someone who's arguing against vegetarianism/veganism just say "Cruelty free lab grown meat is widely expected to be available at low prices in the coming years, by the time we have a vegan world it will be easy to feed cats meat without anyone being hurt."

Reactions: vegansarecool
The ultimate goal of veganism is to cease ownership of animals.

It is not natural or ethical for an animal of another species to keep and feed another species animal all their lives. They are prisoners that we castrate and deprive of the right to have their own families etc as it suits us.

Farm animals would not exist if we did not force them into existence to kill them.