What 'Own Brand' Products Are Good?

I have some Asda Assam, chai, Earl Grey
Twinnings I have Lavender Earl Grey, Rose, Lapsang and Lady Grey.

I'm the opposite and haaate own brand baked beans. It HAS to be heinz or branston otherwise they taste watery. My mums's the same as yours Earth... Lord Snot, she only buys branded stuff and will only shop in Sainsburys, if not waitrose/marks and spencers (then own brand is ok). She's a bit of a snob, and "doesnt like the atmosphere" in the other supermarkets. Its not exactly like she has the spare money either.

Anyway, enough ranting about my mother. For me:

Bad:
Baked beans
Fizzy drinks (especially that 17p crap!)
Toilet Roll (the own brand stuff clogs our toilet, figures)
Asda brand hummus. Its so... lumpy.

Good:
Anything else. Generally, if an own-brand version of a product exists, I'll get it. Im not loyal to any supermarket, but tend to shop in Sainsburys since there's a big one one opposite my work.

In hotel rooms here, you get a coffemaker, some coffee pouches for the machine and tea bags. How am I supposed to make tea??? *sigh* run water through the machine without coffee and use the coffee temp water to make tea... *blech*...

Ok sorry we need a tea thread. Can we split topics here? :D
yuk!
a girl in halls at uni used to make her coffee with hot water from the hot tap! She attempted to make tea that way but got set right by the flat.

We really do need a tea thread

I'm the opposite and haaate own brand baked beans. It HAS to be heinz or branston otherwise they taste watery. My mums's the same as yours Earth... Lord Snot, she only buys branded stuff and will only shop in Sainsburys, if not waitrose/marks and spencers (then own brand is ok). She's a bit of a snob, and "doesnt like the atmosphere" in the other supermarkets. Its not exactly like she has the spare money either.

Bad:
Baked beans

Good:
Anything else. Generally, if an own-brand version of a product exists, I'll get it. Im not loyal to any supermarket, but tend to shop in Sainsburys since there's a big one one opposite my work.
Sainsbury's Basics humus is pretty good, their own brand ones are generally great.
Liking the Delphi foods one you can get from some local shops. My make picked up a 1lb tub yesterday for £2

Bad:
Baked beans

Good:

That's odd, for me ASDA baked beans are no different from Heinz in thickness and they don't have the burnt beans you occasionally get with Heinz.

I haven't been to Asda since I was a student, maybe next time I'm near one I'll give it another go. I never get burnt Heinz beans, or maybe I do but im too busy stuffing my face to notice them haha.

There are no other beans like Heinz beans. I've tried them all! Thy have a different taste which no others seem to be able to replicate. :p

However, I do like own brand beans. They're just not a good as Heinz. I tend to get Heinz in bulk & it doesn't work out much dearer than buying cheapy ones if you get them when on offer ( which is pretty often.)

Can I post U.S. stuff here?

If so, Kroger brand Worcestire is the only vegan version I've been able to find

Of course :)

I was aiming to keep mine general so that people from everywhere could join in, but there's no harm in recommending specific products too. I haven't had Worcester sauce in YEARS!

I buy cheap stuff like Sainsbury's tinned tomatoes and kidney beans and a lot of own brand stuff at Superdrug. I prefer nice brand name breads but own brand crisps are fine.

I buy cheap stuff like Sainsbury's tinned tomatoes and kidney beans and a lot of own brand stuff at Superdrug. I prefer nice brand name breads but own brand crisps are fine.

I find with the crisps that the portions are tiny, so once I've finished them I either get another bag or snack on something else too. I prefer to get something more substantial like McCoys so I feel full. The taste is good though :)

Tinned tomatoes, dried pasta and rice, soy mince, tortilla wraps, crumpets, sometimes crisps (I recently discovered that tesco do a vegan version of Skips, and asda do a vegan monster munch. Over the moon).

Tescos own baked beans are fine.

Their own brand ready salty used to have tonnes of salt in(the value bags), and I tried to complain about that and ended up sending an email to some council somewhere.....anyway they are generally salt ok theses days, but I did get a few multi packs where there was too much salt again

You can't really enjoy a bag of crisps if they are too salty, except by making a sandwich with them.

I will buy almost anything own brand/ value as long as I consider it ethical (fair trade for tea, coffee, bananas and sugar and recycled for toilet paper) as I am not really fussy and with beans, tinned tomatoes etc I will be putting them in a dish like shepherds pie or curry or whatever so I don't tend to notice taste difference anyway. If I buy something brand named it tends to be because I like certain qualities of that specific brand that other brands and the supermarket don't replicate, I.e I buy Lloyd grossman pasta sauces because I hate onions and they are the only ones I have found which are onion free. Also I will opt for brand name goods where they are the only ones that are vegan, like with croissants or pain au chocolats I have to buy jus rol as that's the only way to get those things vegan.

Good to know. Although the local health food store sells two brands of vegan Worcestire, I bet the Kroger's is more reasonably priced.

I saw a post on t'other forum saying Walkers Prawn crisps arent vegan. When I googled it it said they had prawns in them. I had a bag the other day and they were at least veggie, but Im pretty sure they are vegan..

Oops that was me, I was wrong, eat away!

Generally I think ingredients economy ranges = good, ready made products economy ranges = bad. Economy fruit and veg is as good as any from a supermarket, especially when it's in season, things like salt too, flour, sugar (sainsburys own brand is also fair trade) and one to break the rule is biscuits IMO which taste the same economy or not.

But economy isn't the same as own brand, I buy almost everything own brand, I find luxury own brand ranges taste nicer than most branded products and are cheaper, which makes sense because they don't spend as much on branding and advertising. Like sainsburys taste the difference or whatever, also in the UK sainsburys own brand are usually labeled vegan which is an added bonus.

Some things I always buy expensive/branded versions of, including coffee, tea, bread, toilet paper, alcohol and squash (the drink). Most things I make from scratch though, so I just buy the ingredients, which are usually cheap branded ones, and usually only a handful of items on my shopping list are actually brands the rest are supermarket own - but some of those are economy ranges and some standard ranges and some luxury.