What Do You Think About Donating Your Organs After Death?

Moll, yes, I donate blood. I don't mind watching the blood come out of me - I just can't look at the needle in my arm - that's the part that freaks me out. Thank goodness for that nice little pad that they lay over the needle. :p

Jen's post perfectly describes my feelings, other than the animal part. I have so many lives for whom I'm responsible, and their fates will be sketchy if my sister doesn't survive me.

What Do You Think About Donating Your Organs After Death?

That would be kind of hard to do, since I'd be dead. *bah dum ching*

I was listed as an organ donor on my ID (I don't drive), but I can't remember if my new one has it listed. I donate blood regularly, but count me in as one who is worried about the whole "she's-on-the-donor-list-so-you-don't-need-to-work-so-hard-to-save-her" thing. That kinda freaks me out.

So beyond the donating blood and wanting to be on the bone marrow list, that's pretty much it for me. If I matched up and someone wanted part of my liver or whatever, I'd probably do that.

I used to donate blood, but like Rabbitluvr said, they called me constantly to donate more. I worked nights at that time, and didn't need the phone waking me up. I have a kind of rare blood type, B- , so I would feel guilty when they told me they needed it.

I used to donate blood, but like Rabbitluvr said, they called me constantly to donate more. I worked nights at that time, and didn't need the phone waking me up. I have a kind of rare blood type, B- , so I would feel guilty when they told me they needed it.

my dad and brother are B- too, it is a rare one. if you explained to them about the calls being a pain, maybe they could have emailed you instead. :)

if you explained to them about the calls being a pain, maybe they could have emailed you instead. :)

My husband asks to be taken off the call list every single time they call. They always apologize and tell him he won't get any more phone calls from them. Then they call back again the following week. Frequently at dinner time, too.

I guess I understand the hysteria, it just kinda sucks.
I agree, I would have thought they would have stopped the restrictions. I took care of little boys with hemophilia and AIDS during those dark days, so I understand people freaking out back then, but things are different now.

I'm registered to donate my organs, but I'm also registered to be chryogenically frozen. I assume that with the exception of the brain, all other organs will be able to be cloned perfectly with future technology or even within our lifetimes. In fact, according to SENS my generation may be among the first to develop an aging vaccine (along with one for cancer, diabetes etc.) through stem cell research, dramatically increasing human life expectancy, so if I'm very lucky indeed I might not die for a while. But sure...if hypothetically something happens to damage my body so badly I can't be immediately healed, they can take everything except the brain. I'll need that later.

I don't care what other people choose to do with their remains but just leave my guts alone. In fact, don't even stick those huge needles in to drain me and fill me with fluid. Please don't dissect me.

Reactions: thefadedone
I'm registered to donate my organs, but I'm also registered to be chryogenically frozen. I assume that with the exception of the brain, all other organs will be able to be cloned perfectly with future technology or even within our lifetimes. In fact, according to SENS my generation may be among the first to develop an aging vaccine (along with one for cancer, diabetes etc.) through stem cell research, dramatically increasing human life expectancy, so if I'm very lucky indeed I might not die for a while. But sure...if hypothetically something happens to damage my body so badly I can't be immediately healed, they can take everything except the brain. I'll need that later.

Cloning your brain would probably be less of an issue than actually transferring any changes to it since its initial state. Perhaps you'll have a computer instead. Just be sure it doesn't run windows 20 or whatever is out by then, you really don't want to BSOD at such a time.

Oh it's not an irrational fear at all.

My uncle had a stroke, and his prognosis was excellent. Until they learned he had no insurance. Then all of a sudden he had zero chance of recovery, but if my aunt was willing to let them have his liver and his eyeballs they wouldn't charge her anything. She stood to lose her home if she had been billed for the little they had already done for my uncle, so she agreed. And they didn't wait for him to die before they harvested his organs. They took them while he was still alive and then they took him off life support.

That is just terrible ! Is it legal to cut up someone before they die ?

Oh it's not an irrational fear at all.

My uncle had a stroke, and his prognosis was excellent. Until they learned he had no insurance. Then all of a sudden he had zero chance of recovery, but if my aunt was willing to let them have his liver and his eyeballs they wouldn't charge her anything. She stood to lose her home if she had been billed for the little they had already done for my uncle, so she agreed. And they didn't wait for him to die before they harvested his organs. They took them while he was still alive and then they took him off life support.

So sorry to hear this Pickle Juice :hug: That's disgraceful and I don't know how they can get away with **** like that. :mad:

I'm on the organ doner register, I'm not religious or bothered what happens to my body after I have passed and would be happy for someone to have them to save their life or return lost vision etc. However, I'm really concerned about it now after hearing the above, thats so aweful. :(

I'm glad this thread reminded me to go try to donate blood again. I've actually tried a couple of times but they refused me because they said if you have had a piercing within 6 months they wouldn't take it. And I was always getting pierced :p

I don't even know my blood type.

But I will for sure donate my organs. I've had a sticker on my medical card since my mom made the decision for me. Mom always knows best.