Literature What did you read as a child/teen?

as a kid, I used to like Asterix & Obelix, I think I bought all of their comic books.
Swallows and Amazons
Later Arthur C Clarke and other SF
Catch22, quite a bit of Graham Greene, all the HHGG series

Hmmm..

Enid Blyton, Sweet Valley High, Flowers In The Attic Etc, Classics like Bronte books, Judy Blume :) , Jackie Collins as mentioned :) , books about Queen Elizabeth I, or Henry 8th, books about women living in Islamic countries ie Saudi Arabia, Ie Princess by Jean Sasson, and many others that I cant even remember. I was a lot less sensitive then so I read pretty edgy stuff ie Trainspotting when I was 18, and things even more graphic/hardcore, but as I got older I have become allergic to those kinds of books and now only want to read about nice, cutesy stuff : ) .
. You read Jackie Collins? I've read every one of her books with the first one being Hollywood Husbands. I absolutely LOVE LUcky Santangelo series! I always loved her powerful, women characters ;)

anything and everything Sci Fi / Fantasy. I was a member of the Sci Fi Book club, so I got fresh books every week. And I read everything in the library.

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever
The Chronicles of Pern - OH YES
Dune
The Chronicles of Amber
The Foundation Trilogy
etc...

Roger Zelazny
Tolkien
Stephen King - everything I could get my hands on
Anne McCaffrey
Robert A. Heinlein
Asimov
Orson Scott Card
John Varley

When I was very young, I was addicted to the Three Investigators series.

Reactions: Scorpius
The first novel I read was 'White Fang', when I was 7 or 8. It took ages because I was only at that house on weekends. There was a series of small books I cannot for the life of me recall. Then at some point an 'Axis Trilogy' that I also remember little about.

Anything by Dr. Seuss. I can't remember the title, and perhaps someone here can help me, but there was one Dr. Seuss book that showed a lonely creature out in the middle of a swamp and I identified with that character immensely. It was kinda dark, at least for a child, but I identified with it.

. You read Jackie Collins? I've read every one of her books with the first one being Hollywood Husbands. I absolutely LOVE LUcky Santangelo series! I always loved her powerful, women characters ;)

Yes I read them as a Teen. I had Chances, Lucky, Hollywood Wives and Lady Boss. Yes Lucky is really awesome. And it is a great name for a daughter if I were ever to have one...

Anything by Dr. Seuss. I can't remember the title, and perhaps someone here can help me, but there was one Dr. Seuss book that showed a lonely creature out in the middle of a swamp and I identified with that character immensely. It was kinda dark, at least for a child, but I identified with it.
I'd look this up for you, but considering how Seuss named his creatures, I wouldn't know where to start.

These are somewhat mixed up but I tried to keep them in somewhat of the order I would have read them in, from when I started reading in 1st grade through 4th or 5th. However once I started reading I went nuts, and read just about anything I could find no matter how hard it was for me to do so and we had a shelf full of classical books in the living room.

Sambo, Dr. Seuss, Curious George, Mother Goose, The Ugly Duckling, The Box Car Children, Hans Brinker, or the Silver Skates, Red Riding Hood, Snow White, Encyclopedia Brown, Pippi Longstocking, Winnie the Pooh, Rapunzel, Hansel and Gretel, Swiss Family Robinson, Heidi, Treasure Island, Robinson Crusoe, Gulliver's Travels, Uncle Remus, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Wizard of Oz, Pinnocchio, Peter Rabbit, Peter Pan, Doctor Doolittle, Little House on the Prairie, Arabian Nights, Charlotte's Web, The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, The Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew (my Mom had them and I didn't know "boys" weren't supposed to read them), The Black Stallion, The Borrowers, David Copperfield, A Journey to the Center of the Earth, Twenty Thousand Leagues under the Sea, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer/Huckleberry Finn, Black Beauty, Robin Hood, King Solomon's Mines, The Jungle Book, Call of the Wild, The Lost World, Johnny Tremain, Have Space Suit Will Travel, Rocket Ship Galileo, Space Cadet, A Wrinkle in Time, Doc Savage, The Avenger

Anything I could find by the following authors: Mark Twain, Edgar Allen Poe, Rudyard Kipling, Robert Louis Stevenson, Mark Twain, Jules Verne, H.G. Wells, Jack London, Henry Rider Haggard, Arthur Conan Doyle, Daniel Defoe, Lewis Carroll, L. Frank Baum, James Fenimore Cooper

I read an awful lot when I was younger. I used to get through a book a day or one every two days.

Road Dahl was always my favourtie author, I loved escaping into the worlds he created... and The Twits was my favorite book of his.

A book that always stuck with me, that I read when I was about 10 was 'A child called It' - not very age appropriate but....

Reactions: Veggiemama

my parents didnt let me read dr.seuss they didnt like it so I read it as an adult....and like it.

when I was a teen I read little women, catcher in the rye, edgar allen poe, shakespeare, and romance always romance Danielle Steel....ect.....

peace:)

Anybody else like Curious George books? My favorite was where he ate the puzzle piece.
I loved that one--but always found it weird that the piece, after being in stomach for ages, came out undigested and able to fit back into the puzzle at the end!

Anyone read Frog and Toad books by Arnold Lobel? Now seeds, start growing!

Reactions: RabbitLuvr
Anyone read Frog and Toad books by Arnold Lobel? Now seeds, start growing!

I ship Frog and Toad.

frog+and+toad.jpg

I read a lot when I was younger and I read a lot now. Let's see:

The Wind in the Willows, The Boxcar Children (these were read to me), Nancy Drew, The Wrinkle in Time series . . . Matilda and The Witches by Dahl, dumb YA "thrillers" by authors like Caroline B. Cooney . . . then I started reading Stephen King when I was 13 years old and never stopped.

ETA: Sweet Valley High. I almost forgot about those gems of my childhood. :p

I was obsessed with the Warrior cats series for a really long time, I loved those books. I borrowed the Harry Potter books from a friend in 8th grade, and I started reading the Kingdom Keepers series in middle school as well.

My actual favourite book when I was a kid was a collector's edition Disneyland history book (which also had trivia, information on Audio-Animatronics, hidden things, etc.), which I bought when I was 7 (though I first decided I was going to get it when I was 6, I remember). I remember it was $30, and it took me forever to save enough money for it, and my mom didn't give me an allowance and I wasn't allowed to have the money I got from holidays or birthdays so it did take a long time. I would go to our family company, where my mom, uncle, and grandparents worked, and they would give me a stack of things to copy and I'd copy them all day to earn a few dollars, but then it'd be a while before they'd give me another stack between getting money.

And then I finally saved up enough, and my dad found out and told my mom he didn't want me buying a book so expensive, and she said, "She's been saving up for over a year for it, and she's 7 and it's a Disneyland history book, not something stupid," so I was allowed to buy it and I remember I read it so many times and would take it to Disneyland with me most weeks and in the queue for each attraction I'd re-read all the things that related to that attraction's background and tell my mom all about them and bore her half to death. :p