What are your favorite kitchen gadgets and tools?

I guess if you have a gas stove, it is fast enough.

So that is a business opportunity ... provide an electric kettle with a nice electronic (programmable) whistle sound...

I have a glass ceramic hob which is faster than gaz. I have a cup of boiling water in a few seconds in my electric kettle.

I got this one, mostly because of low price-
Hamilton Beach 70740 8-Cup Food Processor, Black
Go to amazon.com . I can't get the link in!:confused: It's $21.59

It's lightweight. Does a good job processing. I haven't done anything really heavy duty, but things like bean dips, with cooked beans, were very smooth. It has a low, high, and pulse setting. You can store the top upside down for easy storage with things inside. I haven't used the slicer, grater blades as I just use a hand grater.
Glad I checked back here. There was no official "reply" so I didn't get an alert. Thanks for the heads-up! :)

However, we do have quite a few Bed, Bath, & Beyond coupons... and maybe I can get an even sweeter deal for Cyber Monday! There is no way in hell I'll go to ANY store on Black Friday. :brood: LOL

Knife set, 2 different sizes of mini-graters (for garlic, fresh ginger, citrus), medium and large pots with lids, large frying pan, cutting board, vegetable peeler, can opener, colander, wooden spoons, big plastic spoons and ladles. Oh, and my set of metal mixing bowls. I also use small plastic bowls when I'm prepping ingredients.

I could probably live without this (so long as I have a blender) but I love my blender stick and its attachments. It attaches to a mini processor that's great for blending sauces, marinades, and pesto. The immersian blender attachment lets me puree soups (which I make fairly regularly). It also has a whisk attachment that lets me froth milk for coffee or tea or whatever, though I hardly ever use it.

I could also live without my pastry mat (or whatever you want to call it) but I really like that too. It saves me the trouble of scrubbing dough off the kitchen counters.

Last edited:
Reactions: PTree15
One of my favorite tools is my coffee grinder. Actually, I have two--a Krups and a Mr. Coffee. I do not grind coffee in either.
The Krups I use for kudu, which comes in a rock-like formation but must be put into powered form to mix in gravies, etc., as a thickener. I use the Mr. Coffee one for pulverizing powered laundry detergent which was stored in my basement, absorbed moisture from the air, and formed rock-like clumps that seem not to dissolve in the washing machine.

View attachment 5400
Ooh, that's on my list. I want a coffee grinder. I plan to use it for grinding up spices, and I wouldn't mind grinding my own coffee beans either. I do have a mortar and pestle, but I don't like using it.

I want a mortar and pestle! I use a cheapy coffee grinder for all spices. I just wipe it out with a paper towel, not really fussy. Obviously I can do without!
I love my pastry scraper! Just a 6 inch wide metal scraper I got from a discount store, I use it for scraping veggies off cutting boards, bread, often. One thing I didn't know I needed till I got one
I also love my immersion blender for taking to the stove and kinda blending soups, as well as other things to blend right in the bowl
Couldn't do without my cast iron skillet
My "TV" knife- the long serrated one

This is my mortar & pestle... right in front of my brand new food processor!! :D

But if I have to really work at grinding stuff (like impossibly tough dried rosemary) it just kills my aging hands. :(

What I'd like to get someday is a big-*** molcajete! :)
images.jpg

I love my steamer basket. It has saved me hours of cooking, especially for stuff like sweet potatoes, potatoes, and carrots. I can have my sweet potatoes soft in ten or fifteen minutes. I also love how crisp and clean it leaves veggies like broccoli or leafy greens.

I ordered a yogurt maker a few days ago online. I have a credit card from Sears I have never used and was told it would be canceled soon if I didn't use it, so I bought a relatively cheap yogurt maker. I have attempted homemade vegan yogurt without one several times and had some success but controlling temperature was a nightmare. Can't wait to try it!

ps I can't forget my Blentec. I have had it five years now and it is still going strong. How did I ever survive my first 39 years without it?