What’s your favorite plant milk?

Mbeth

Forum Practitioner
Reaction score
I’ve never really strayed from just plain, unsweetened, unflavored Walmart brand almond milk. Am I missing out on any better options? I typically don’t buy anything with added sweetners of any kind, or added flavors. I never drink milk straight- just use it in various recipes.
Would also like to try making my own at some point, if anyone has any tips I’d appreciate it! I have a ninja blender and a nut milk bag, so I think I should be able to do it.

Been a while since I've made almond milk. From memory - boil almonds (this loosens skins, I think soaking overnight might do the trick as well, though never tried with almonds), cool, remove skins, blend with just enough water (too much and you'll have almond peices in milk), then when smooth, add water to desired consistancy.

If I need milk in a pinch here are two that are quick and easy:

Pulverize rolled oats until it's a flour, then add water and blend - Oat milk

Blend Tahini with water - Sesame seed milk (more fatty, but delicious with the right flavors).

Others:

Soy milk you need to soak beans overnight then boil, but similar steps otherwise.

Pepitas are a quick soak - less than an hour, and you can make a green milk or add with other ingredients like rolled oats as flour.

Just about any nut, seed, legume or grain can become "milk", some need to be soaked/cooked, some don't - it doesn't need to be white to be good. :)

Full Circle Foods' original/unflavored soymilk.

I've never tried making my own plant milk...probably time I change that

Light Vanilla Soy Milk when I can find it. It used to be really common. But all these other versions of plant milks are squeezing soy milk off the shelves.

Plain unsweetened is what I've been buying mostly lately. It's good for everything but drinking plain.

I usually buy Silk unsweetened almond milk in gallons. I use it for smoothies and cooking. I also like soymilk, macadamia milk and coconut milk for coffee or to drink.

Almond, unsweetened, natural flavour. Occasionally coconut to add to curry. Sometimes banana, made at home.

Emma JC

I drink a lot of plant milks each week. I buy a carton of Soy plain for cereals and smoothies. A carton of soy vanilla for drinking straight. And last winter I started drinking a cup of hot Silk chocolate-flavored Protein instead of a cup of coffee. Last week I was in the store for the first time in a long time and I saw that Silk Protein came in different flavors.

Silk protein is a combination of almond and cashew milk with added pea protein.

I became curious. Should I stick with regular plain soy milk or switch to the Silk Protein products. The Silk proteins come in 4 flavors: unsweetened; unsweetened vanilla; original; and chocolate.

Although Silk products are Non-GMO verified not all their products are verified organic. None of the Protein drinks are organic. in my comparison, I choose to use the Organic Unsweetened soymilk because that is what I usually buy. depending on which soy milk product you buy you get different amounts of things like protein, calories, fat, sugar, and some vitamins.

ORIGINAL SILK PROTEINORGANIC UNSWEET SOYMILK
IngredientsAlmondmilk (Filtered Water, Almonds), Cashewmilk (Filtered Water, Cashews), Pea Protein, High Oleic Sunflower Oil, Cane Sugar, Calcium Carbonate, Sea Salt, Sunflower Lecithin, Gellan Gum, Ascorbic Acid (To Protect Freshness), Natural Flavor, Salt, Vitamin E Acetate (To Protect Freshness), Vitamin D2.Organic Soymilk (Filtered Water, Organic Soybeans),Vitamin and Mineral Blend (Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin D2, Riboflavin [B2], Vitamin B12), Sea Salt, Gellan Gum, Ascorbic Acid (To protect freshness), Natural Flavor.
Calories13080
Total fat84
Sat fat.5.5
Fiber<12
Sugars21
Protein107
D10%15%
Calcium30%20%
Iron10%6%
Potassium2%7%
A15%
Riboflavin30%
Folate10%
B12120%
Phosphorous6%
Magnesium40%

Right now I'm thinking of sticking with Soy milk. the organic part is part of it. Plus the added B12. In fact i may switch from chocolate-flavored protein to chocolate-flavored soy milk. A couple more grams of protein is no big deal. however, they say that too many soy products are bad for you. Besides soy milk, I also consume tofu a couple of times a week. So maybe subbing some Silk protein daily for soy milk is the best compromise.

Oh, BTW, the Silk chocolate-flavored Protein tastes really good. and I liked the Original too.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Emma JC
Earth's Own is Canadian made with Canadian oats, love it and it is the best price, unsweetened original is what I buy and also they have a cashew that i really like as well.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: KLS52 and Lou
Unsweetened almond milk for taste and baking/cooking. Soy for cooking (not fond of the taste, but I like it in a latte). I have tried oat, but I think I need a better brand. It was flavorless (I forget which brand I tried), and sometimes I will have rice milk.

Unsweetened almond milk for taste and baking/cooking. Soy for cooking (not fond of the taste, but I like it in a latte). I have tried oat, but I think I need a better brand. It was flavorless (I forget which brand I tried), and sometimes I will have rice milk.
I had Planet Oat extra creamy and it was pretty amazing! I didnt' get the typical oat taste, or that slime-grit texture, just really creamy and neutral. I don't take anything in coffee, but think it would be good. I did have it in tea.

I only get soy milk for yogurt, and I like soy milk, but I think it's the worst to use in a hot beverage-like tea, and worse in coffee! Which is strange since others seem to think the opposite 🤔

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
I usually get the Silk Cashew because it is so low in calories. Sometimes I get store brand almond for the price. I like oat milk pretty well but it is higher in calories and sometimes in price as well. I don't use that much milk as I don't drink it as a beverage, except hot cocoa once in a while. I don't use it in coffee or tea either so mainly just for cold cereal. I don't like the taste of soy milk.

My favourite flavours are brazil, cashew and hazelnut but these are very expensive.
My everyday milk is soya and oat I always add soya milk to coffee & tea.
I don't count calories but I always buy unsweetened milk.
My favourite brands are Alpro, Oatly & Bjorg. The former is by far the best tasting plant based milk. I'm pleased to
see that they are now exporting worldwide.

I use mostly coconut milk for cooking and oatmilk for everything else, mainly coffee/lattes.

I do like soy, but just like oat better. I always found almond milk a little on the bitter side for coffee.