Wearing Animal Sourced Fabrics

Jai

Forum Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
Interesting to hear from a life long vegan who aquired a very cool vintage lambswool coat that was from the 1970s. Her reasoning was that the suffering was long ago, it was a used item that has changed hands and that the suffering is long done with.

And I agree with her. It's of no impact at all to any animal, and her purchase of said jacket has contributed nothing to the animals suffering.

It got me thinking... When I first travelled abroad as a young guy, way off the grid into tribal regions no traveller typically goes to, an ancient old man with an even more ancient hand loom spend three days making me a blanket woven from camel hair. And I have this blanket to this day, it's a very rustic piece and it has some sentimental value. I don't even feel the slightest bit uncomfortable in having this, because as with the earlier jacket, the suffering is long over (this was early 1990s).

Just opening a discussion, not for any answers in particular, but simply for the sake of discussion. What, if any, animal products do you have around the home from a time before you switched to a plant-based diet?

I think im too afraid of inspiring a non-vegan to purchase a new non-vegan article of clothing

and parallel to that thinking, I wouldnt want to remove something from a vintage store that a non-vegan could purchase instead of buying a new article of clothing that did involve suffering