Weak immune system

Hi everyone,

Apologies if this should go in the transition forum but.....

I've been vegan for about 6 weeks now and am really enjoying it. I went pescatarian last summer. My concern is that I've had no end of viruses this winter - I'd say 80% of the winter from November up to now I've felt run down with various cold like symptoms. These seem to have got worse in the last 5 weeks coinciding with going vegan.

I'm pretty sure I'm getting enough protein and have been taking B12 supplements. I mainly eat a whole food plant based diet and try to follow Dr Greger's Daily Dozen as much as possible. I had blood tests before xmas for kidney & liver function, blood sugars, blood pressure and iron and it all came back fine. I'm going back for more tests for vitamin deficiency next week.

I realise that this is probably the worst time of year for bugs and I do work in a school as a teacher but......I'm definitely more run down this winter than my colleagues and my family. I'm getting a bit tired of the scornful comments and looks from people at work blaming it all on my diet (I imagine you've all been there!)

Did anyone else suffer like this when changing to veganism or am I just unlucky this year?!
Getting my hormone levels, adrenal function, immunity.. checked by an endocrinologist was a game changer in boosting my immune function and getting through my previously undetected Hashimoto's diagnosis. When your brain and chemicals are in balance accelerated with proper hormone function your body will absorb and utilize the nutrients more effectively. The end result is getting sick less. It will help to find the right doc for you as there are many horrible ones out there.

Reactions: 1956