Wanting to "practise" on Linux?

SummerRain

I dreamed that God would be forgiving.
Reaction score
Heya I hope this is in the right place, I am going to be doing some work using Linux soon and I wanted to practise/get familiar with it, to make it easier and also so I don't look like an idiot! Someone mentioned to me I can download something to open it up in a window on Windows, to see what it is like, but I didn't understand it well enough to be able to work out how to do this via searching the internet. Does anybody know what I am on about (I'm not sure I do!) and can point me in the right direction?

You may be thinking of some flavours of Linux that can be booted from a CD-ROM, DVD-ROM or USB disk. Here's a page describing the Ubuntu Live CD:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD

There is also a way to install Ubuntu from Windows so that the two operating systems exist side by side on the same hard drive partition. I believe from Windows the Ubuntu Linux OS then basically just looks like a big file, and you can use the usual Windows functionality to uninstall it in the event that you don't want it any more:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wubi

Hope that helps!

Ah that's perfect. I made a CD with Ubuntu and booted it from that and it worked :) Thanks a lot!

Slightly off topic, but still Linux related... What I love about Linux is it does not hide things from you like Windows does.

Just last week, someone at my job had a virus I couldn't get rid of it while the computer was booted up and running an AV scan. When I hooked the drive up as a slave to another computer, the files would not show up even though I had "show hidden files" and "show system files" enabled. I think that because they were in a user account, they refused to show. I booted to a Linux disk, found the virus files and deleted them. Virus was gone for good!

Also, Linux shows hidden Windows shares and hidden SSIDs from wireless networks.

I
Heya I hope this is in the right place, I am going to be doing some work using Linux soon and I wanted to practise/get familiar with it, to make it easier and also so I don't look like an idiot! Someone mentioned to me I can download something to open it up in a window on Windows, to see what it is like, but I didn't understand it well enough to be able to work out how to do this via searching the internet. Does anybody know what I am on about (I'm not sure I do!) and can point me in the right direction?

I think you may have been thinking of Cygwin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cygwin

I don't know that much about it.

(Booting from Linux/Unix live cds/dvds should work, too. But that would actually be using Linux/Unix.)

Yes, I thought of Cygwin as well. I didn't like it very much when I used it many years ago, but I suppose it may have improved since.

Another possibility is to install a Virtual Machine software such as VMWare which will allow you to install and try out several flavours of Linux.

VMs are good. Just be sure to enable hardware VM support in the bios first.