News Want people to eat less meat?

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan

Want People to Eat Less Meat? Fake Burgers Probably Won’t Cut It.

“Alt protein” companies think they can curb America’s carnivorous appetite.

But some experts are doubtful.

“If we really want to help people cut down on the amount of meat they are eating, we need to stop subsidizing cattle feed, stop giving tax breaks to cattle ranchers, require feedlot owners to pay the costs of cleaning up the mess they make, and issue dietary guidelines with clear ‘eat less meat’ messages,” Nestle told me. When it comes to reining in meat production, she argues, “policy is what matters.”

just something I saw today. might need some fact checking.

US government subsidizes $22b for meat and dairy and $27m for agriculture. That's at the federal level

Those numbers are misleading because a lot of the agriculture funds are for crops to feed animals rather than humans

Reactions: silva
This is a fear that some food scholars have long had about meat substitutes: that fake burgers reinforce people’s belief that meat must be at the center of every meal.
This logic is absurd. It states that meat sales were down as a result of fake meat being available then claims that fake meat doesn't lure people away from meat on the above grounds. That is blatantly contradictory! They also need to realize that it is not belief that keeps people eating meat but addiction to something that is not easily replaced (enjoyment wise) with beans and lentils.

• Agree
Reactions: silva and Tom L.

Want People to Eat Less Meat? Fake Burgers Probably Won’t Cut It.

“Alt protein” companies think they can curb America’s carnivorous appetite.

But some experts are doubtful.

“If we really want to help people cut down on the amount of meat they are eating, we need to stop subsidizing cattle feed, stop giving tax breaks to cattle ranchers, require feedlot owners to pay the costs of cleaning up the mess they make, and issue dietary guidelines with clear ‘eat less meat’ messages,” Nestle told me. When it comes to reining in meat production, she argues, “policy is what matters.”

The price hikes are having an affect on sales:

Tyson Foods to close 4 chicken processing plants across U.S.

The news was shared as part of Tyson’s Q3 earnings report, which noted the company’s sales were down 3% from the same period last year. The company’s adjusted operating income in Q3 was $179 million, down 82% from the prior year.

Tyson’s decision to close four facilities in Indiana, Missouri, and Arkansas comes months after the company ceased operations at two other facilities – one in Glen Allen, Virginia, and another in Van Buren, Arkansas – on May 12.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: bEt

Sliding beef sales send Tyson stock down 16% as the meat producer slashes its outlook

Tyson Foods shares tumbled to a three-year low as a drop in beef sales contributed to pushing the company to a quarterly loss and lowering its outlook for revenue

Tyson said in the second quarter, average sale prices for beef declined by 5.4% during the three months ended April 1. Beef sales overall slumped by 8.3% to $4.62 billion as volume pulled back by 2.9%.

I blame inflation mostly. Food prices are still too high, IMHO. I know I haven't bought as many Beyond burgers as I have in the past, unless they were on sale.

I blame inflation mostly. Food prices are still too high, IMHO. I know I haven't bought as many Beyond burgers as I have in the past, unless they were on sale.
Plus I think there was a novelty component. When beyond products would come out I would rush out and buy them - just to try them.
I may have to re-read the article but I'm also thinking that now that every brand makes some kind of meatless alternative - it's sort of diluted.

Reactions: PTree15
Also, I've found that convenience foods of all kinds are appreciably more expensive than meals you mostly prepare yourself from basic ingredients. Still, our time is worth a lot. Sometimes it's a worthwhile trade-off if you can get nutritious, tasty convenience foods at a reasonable price.

Reactions: PTree15