Vegetables that taste like meat

When you are transitioning, especially if you are the only vegan among meat eaters, it is very useful to have meat substitutes. My husband tries them as I buy them and if I could get him to swap some for the meat version it would be very good. It is nice to have something that has the texture of meat, not necessarily the flavour, as otherwise it seems a soft diet unless you want to chew on uncooked vegetables. I think the texture is something you have to come to terms with rather than taste.

Anyone tried smoked chickpeas?

Well, you're in for a real treat! I tried a smoked hummus for the first time today and my immediate thought was how awesome it was and I had to tell everyone. The smoking process changes the colour of the chickpeas every so slightly, making it more yellow. My thoughts were - smoked haddock! Honestly, smoked haddock.

This makes sense to me since the other occasion I tried a vegan dish that tasted fishy was mouttabal, which is a smoked aubergine dish of Turkish origin. Darn it, it's so good (dipping into it right now). :innocent: