Veganism causing trouble for bf's parents?

Would you tell them you're vegan?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Daya

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Flexitarian
So I am still transitioning into veganism and I've been doing really good for the past couple of weeks, I've had no slips, but in July I'm visiting my boyfriend in Australia and I'll be staying with him and his parents for a couple weeks.
Him and his family are not vegan or vegetarian, but I do not want to put them on the spot and make them either worry and go into trouble about what to cook or to make them dislike me and be like 'silly hipster white girl'. I've never even met them before.
I just want to know who in my place would do the same thing and just sacrifice a couple of weeks of veganism.
I think if this wasn't the first time meeting them I would tell them, but I feel like it wouldn't make a good impression..

Hello Daya,

It sounds like you've got a long time before you go to Australia, so that's plenty of time to give your boyfriend's family to adjust and 'prepare' if that's really what they need to do. Yes, Australians - like most countries of the cultural West - are heavy meat-consumers and judging by their 'Australia Day' commercial they are are little less ready for veganism than their counterparts (perhaps). On the other hand, there is a huge vegan base in Australia particularly surrounding Freelea the Banana Girl and Durianrider. It's also a pretty good climate for veganism where plenty more fruits grow than they do in the UK (or, in your case, Scotland).

I would simply ask your boyfriend to let your family know that you are vegan. The most inoffensive/understanding 'reason' to give would be 'for environmental reasons' and I would counsel you not to go beyond that if you are worried about creating antagonisms before your relationship with them has even begun. You can explain that veganism is a cheap and simple diet, and be prepared not to be 'picky' (that's when you're at risk of being called a silly hipster etc.). Or you can offer to prepare your own meals when you are there if they just provide the basic food stuffs (whole foods and rice/flour etc.).

Point is you have got plenty of time and the more time you give them to be psychologically prepared, as much as anything else, the better. It's more considerate and they can't dislike you if you give them over a month's notice. I would also bring a peace offering, such as vegan treats and chocolates etc..

Just my two pennies!

Thank you for the reply and you're completely right, I think I'll do that.
Maybe offer to cook if they'll be willing to try it. It's just that during the couple of weeks I've been vegan I've already met people who look at a meal differently after they hear it's vegan - and not in a good way.

I've already met people who look at a meal differently after they hear it's vegan - and not in a good way.

Well, there's the slight cop-out of calling it 'plant based' I guess. Lots of vegans don't like to use that adage, but personally my thought is 'whatever works'! :)

Reactions: Daya
Hi Daya,

I am new to vegan but I am always honest and up front. I believe like religion politics etc etc we have an opinion and right to choose or believe in what we like or as I like to call it "our God given right."

So I would be honest and say you're vegan and leave it at that. I found Australians to be very open and welcoming, I went to Perth W.A. in 2012 and it's a lovely place. The food is absolutely amazing I was a meat eater then but they had a very good vegetarian scene, I wasn't looking for vegan then but I am sure they are in tune with veganism.

If you feel uncomfortable telling them you're vegan just say you are allergic to red and white meat. The word Allergic should be enough for them not to ask you to eat it. Say you eat fruit and veg for that reason.

Good luck and safe trip hope it all works out...:)

Reactions: Daya