Veganism and clinical trials?

SummerRain

I dreamed that God would be forgiving.
Reaction score
So I was just curious about this really. I've done clinical trials before, mostly for the money, but it's nice to know I'm helping research too. I got thinking though, because I applied for a trial which involves taking pills, realising it will probably involve gelatine capsules. I was going to ask about the capsules, and then I thought... well the medicine wont be vegan anyway, it's going to be padded out with lactose and tested on animals, so does it matter? Then I thought, maybe I shouldn't do it then. Then I thought, maybe I should, because it's helping people? Then I came to veggieviews!

So, I know what most people here think about medicine and veganism, but what about if you're opting to take medicine? I.e. if you're not sick, you're taking it out of choice? Does that change the rules? Is it better or worse, if you're taking the medicine to help research rather than make yourself better, or does it not make a difference?

Do we need more volunteers for clinical trials, does this have any affect on the animals used in the medicine industry? Would you guys take "non vegan" medicine for a clinical trial, and would "how vegan" it was (i.e. if it had a gelatine capsule, etc) make a difference?

Hmm. I've never thought about this one... Don't really know where I stand here. My initial reflex was that I wouldn't do it, but then I thought about the fact that some of the medicines I take are more 'elective' than 'life saving' (birth control, painkillers for headaches, etc). So I don't think the elective thing makes much of a difference.

Looking at my life right now, I don't think I'd join a non-vegan clinical trial. But if I needed the money and was out of other options, I'd probably do it. Also, if I was sick and the trial could save my life/someone's life with the same disease, I'd do it then. But only under those circumstances, I think, regardless of exactly how un-vegan it was.

Thought about it, but I'd be scared of dying o_o
I dunno, maybe they could give veg capsules? But it's not like animals die to make gelatin?

Do we need more volunteers for clinical trials, does this have any affect on the animals used in the medicine industry?

No, it's a different stage in the trials. Human testing comes after animal testing. It wouldn't have any effect on the nonhumans.

Reactions: SummerRain
Very interesting.
I think to answer this we must all assume that we wanted or needed the money for whatever reason, and there was no risk to our health.
So the question is, would I willing take a non-vegan already animal tested drug, to aid medical research?
I think I would. Not 100%.
My reasons are that I hope that one day there will be no animal testing stage. Other forms of testing will be used prior to human trials. If there is not enough interest now, no1 will ever believe that there will be any willing volunteers when the drugs have not yet been tested on animals.
Does this make sense? Xxx

Well I think there's no different either your vegan or not but the most important reason why you join the clinical trial is to help experts for their medical research and this clinical trial are only for those who interested, but any clinical trial has no risk with the health of volunteers.