Veganishm

Convenient in that the word "vegan" is widely understood and reflects my lifestyle even if I don't agree with all veg*ns about everything.
Perhaps in Portland it is widely understood, but I don't think that is true in general. But I still don't get why its convenient to self-identify as a vegan, I can't see where this would be useful rather than just saying something nearly everyone can understand like "I don't eat meat or dairy".

It's my experience that vegans are, in aggregate, less consumerist than the average population. Moreover, your depiction of veg*n events as being largely about consumerism also does not fit my personal experience.
I'm not sure what it means for someone to be "less consumerist". They buy less commercial products? If so I'd suggest that is usually due a lack of means. But I have no idea whether vegans are, in general, "less consumerist" or not.....I just know that veganism has become a very commercial movement which seems fairly natural development since it was never founded on any strong ethical basis. For example, your friends at Vegan Outreach continuously promoting very particular vegan products (e.g., Tofurky) .

It's hard not to look at the tremendous progress in animal welfare over the past 5 years or so and not be hopeful!
I'm not aware of any"tremendous progress" and what progress that has occurred wasn't due to vegan groups, instead animal welfare organizations like the Humane Society. It seems that vegan groups are primarily interested in gaining converts.