CA Vegan & Vegetarian Food

shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
I'm flying out to Vancouver Island on the 11 th September for one week for family reasons. I'm staying in
a selft-catering hotel and will be cooking my meals.

I'm not too sure in which supermarkets I'll be doing my grocery shopping. I will be popping into Thrifty's at Mill Bay and was wondering what kind of items can I find.
I gather that as this is the country of Gardein, I'll be able to find it without a hitch. Are there any vegan hard cheeses available ? Ice cream, sweets etc .
:thanks:

Bump

Can anyone help, as I have looked at the flyer's in the shops that are in the area and they don't seem to have any vegan stuff ?

what part of Vancouver Island are you visiting? EDIT: OOPS, just saw: Mill Bay

If you're in Victoria, there are so many awesome vegan friendly restaurants. I loved Green Cuisine and ReBar.

You should be able to get Daiya at Safeway. At specialty groceries you may find Sheese too. Ciao Bella is a brand of sorbet that has vegan flavours. You might see Screaming Bros but they have honey...and they suck actually (I bought it by accident)

Last edited:
At the Safeways, the Gardein will be in the "gluten free and natural foods" frozen section. The Daiya will be in the hard"artisan" cheeses section in the deli. You'll find tofurkey, Yves, tofu in the produce area with the prepackaged salads.

Awww someone has answered ! :starshower:

I'll be staying at Chemainus which is south of Nainamo. I have googled up the grocery shops and they are very small ones. I will be at Mill Bay on Thursday and will be shopping at Thrifty's which is owned by Safeway's - I think ?

I'm delighted to know that they do Gardein as I love the Crispy Tenders and love tofurkey. I'll call them and see if they stock Daiya.

Any other tips ? I'll only be staying for 7 days and won't have that much time except for on Saturday where I'm planning to do a day trip at Nainamo.

I'm not too sure as I've only been to the island a couple times. I'll ask my friend who used to live on Vancouver Island.

I'm not too sure as I've only been to the island a couple times. I'll ask my friend who used to live on Vancouver Island.

Sorry that I couldn't get back to you as my computer conked out last night. I thought that it had gone to computer heaven.

I'm so looking forward to be able to eat Daiya and Tofukey that I'm even more excited about my trip.
It also looks like the weather is going to be fabulous with temps around 22°C which is just perfect.

Where does your friend live ? I have met a bunch of girls from another forum but they are all low carbers so wouldn't know anything about vegan food. They were all lovely and we had a great meet up last time I was visiting the island. :D I really do enjoy forum meet ups.

However this trip is just going to be a short one and I am trying to organise everthing from here.

what part of Vancouver Island are you visiting? EDIT: OOPS, just saw: Mill Bay

If you're in Victoria, there are so many awesome vegan friendly restaurants. I loved Green Cuisine and ReBar.

You should be able to get Daiya at Safeway. At specialty groceries you may find Sheese too. Ciao Bella is a brand of sorbet that has vegan flavours. You might see Screaming Bros but they have honey...and they suck actually (I bought it by accident)

I'll be staying at Chemainus and will be at Mill Bay on Thursday. I'm planning to go to Nainamo on Saturday and don't know what other places to visit that are nearby. I will be visiting my mum who is now at a retirement home and that is the reason that I'll have to organise my own meals.

She USED to live on the Island in Qualicum Beach.

She says in Nanaimo there is a place called Rawmbas if you like raw food. And there is a cupcake shop, The Wee Cupcakery, that usually has one vegan option but you should call ahead.

I'm not 100% sure if Thrifties will have Gardein/Daiya but they probably do. Most chain stores in the West have one or both brands.

And good for your mum! The island is a great place to spend retirement years. Beautiful.

She USED to live on the Island in Qualicum Beach.

She says in Nanaimo there is a place called Rawmbas if you like raw food. And there is a cupcake shop, The Wee Cupcakery, that usually has one vegan option but you should call ahead.

I'm not 100% sure if Thrifties will have Gardein/Daiya but they probably do. Most chain stores in the West have one or both brands.

And good for your mum! The island is a great place to spend retirement years. Beautiful.

That is nice of her to give me information. I would like to buy vegan food as I do when I'm in California as I
will be cooking my meals. I'll give Thrity a call tomorrow.

So I just called Thrifty's and spoke to a floor manager who didn't know what vegan foods they had in store. He went searching the frozen and cheese sections and couldn't find any Gardein or Daiya. Came back and asked for
the spelling and after a while said that he had found Crispy Tenders and Daiya Cheddar shreds. At long last I'm going to taste Daiya.:p

As they don't stock many Gardein items he said that he would keep them for me in the storage room. :starshower:

I thought that was really nice of him as I don't want to drive around the island looking for Gardein and Daiya.
I also told him to try the tenders and he said that he would !:D

Reactions: mary1