Vegan split end treatments?

Llama

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
So this is something I don't admit to many people except my parents because it's quite embarrassing but I'm about to. For the last year or so, I've had a bad habit of pulling apart all my split ends and snapping off hair where there's a white 'bump'. It's not quite as bad now as I've been forcing myself to do it less in preparation for getting some serum or something. But for a while I would sit for about an hour and just pull apart split ends and snap hairs off. And I'd do it whenever I could during the day. I don't even have a reason why, I just enjoyed doing it . It's got to the point where my hair is so dry and frizzy at the bottom because it's so damaged that to get rid of all that damage I'd have to chop half my hair off and I'm not doing that!!!

So my question is, now that I've managed to get my bad habit under control a little bit, can anybody recommend any vegan and cruelty free treatments for repairing split ends and making my hair strong again? Obviously I will get the very bottom bits cut off because they are really bad but I really need some sort of treatment to repair the split ends and make it smooth and healthy again.

At this point I'm so desperate that I'm willing to resort to non cruelty free products. So any recommendations would be much appreciated .

Thanks.

Oh - I'm so sorry about what you're struggling with. The sad part of this story is that there is NO WAY that you can heal the hair you damaged. Not with any oil, not with anything. Anything that says it going to "repair" your hair is purely marketing and total BS. Ask *any* hairstylist. Fun fact: Your hair is *dead* the second it come out of your head.

But the *good* news is, hair grows back - and as long as you take care of it properly, you'll be on your way to having a full head of beautiful hair again. Until you actually cut off the dead, split ends, you're going to be stuck with what you have. I've had super short hair multiple times in my life and each time - it has grown back. I LOVE short hair on women, TBH. Until you try it, how do you know? @Lou - mine was as short as you are suggesting. I kind of miss it :)

(((Hugs))) xo

feel your pain. I have fine hair thin that breaks a lot and so I get split ends galore.wish I could help.

Last edited:
About five years ago I had very dry hair that were full of split ends. I tried cutting them myself (because I didn't trust the barber to take only a little bit) and adding olive oil to the ends. It didn't help. At all.

What helped me, was going to the barber and then, I reduced washing my hair to only once a month. That sounds gross, and I can't recommend this to everyone, but my hair has always been dry and fine, so it almost doesn't get greasy at all. I don't use any chemicals at all, like for example hair spray, either, so I only have to wash the tiny bit of grease, once a month with this vegan shampoo named "Ole Hyvä". I apply shampoo only to the scalp, never ever to the lengths. Washing my type of hair once a week would make my hair so dry it would fall off when wind blows, so I'm not doing that anymore. When I was in high school, people called me scarecrow, because I was so badly underweight and my hair was as dry, as a pile of straw.

But now that I have changed my hair care routine, my hair is almost hip long and looks very healthy. I have reduced everything, instead of increasing or adding something, if going to the barber doesn't count. It's said that growing lengths takes dedication, but now I just ignore my hair and let it grow by itself..
I cut my hair once a year, at the barber, and I don't use any special methods or products, only common sense. That's free, vegan and everyone has it.
I protect my hair, by keeping it tied up most days, and also always when I sleep, hair is up on a bun or braided. I recommend using somekind of hair ribbon or something, instead of those with rubber band, because the rubber causes damage, just like plastic combs are almost like desingned to kill hair, there are options as for example, wooden brushes. I have never used hair dryer, but if you do, know that it can be bad for your hair. I don't dye my hair either, because it is potentially devastating to the lengths.
Also, remeber to eat enough of nutritious food and drink more water than coffee. Adding one tablespoon of grinded, roasted flax seed in your morning oatmieal is one cheap way to make your hair more healthy. Flax is even given to horses as well, to keep their fur beautiful. Another cheapscate tip is to add frozen vegetables to pasta, if you like pasta. Remember, that proteine is important too, tofu, beans, TVP, what ever you like, but eat proteine every day.
If you and your family are very poor, or you have some other problems at getting food down, maybe one vitamin pill in a day could be helpful? But I don't know, haven't tried...

Hair is like a diary of what you have eaten, and what medicine you have used, along the years it has grown. The ends can not be saved, after they have been damaged. What you can do is to take care of the new growth.

When you figure out what type of hair you have and start taking care of it accordingly, things get easier. After going to the barber, if you decide to do that, it'll be depressing for a while, if you like long hair, as I do. Some women look very beautiful with short hair as well, like Lou demonstrated.

Hair only takes time, and it'll grow back eventually. It took my hair five years, and for two of those years I awated nervously when my hair starts to look better, I searched information on the internet and wrote down notes. Well, I must say, my hair would have grown even without all that fuss. Instead of stressing out, I'd recommend meditation, 5-10 min. a day, can help you feel more grounded and relaxed.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: TofuRobot
Instead of stressing out, I'd recommend meditation, 5-10 min. a day, can help you feel more grounded and relaxed.
Since I mentioned meditation, I feel like I have to specify... Some people like to make meditation seem like a complicated task that requires huge amount of concentration and discipline, for example, some people say that there is only one way to meditate: you have to cross your legs in a certain way and quiet your mind and be alone in a calm setting. And that's one way to do it. But it can be hard, if you have to share a room with a sibling, or if you have many thoughts running through your mind all the time. It's okay, let the thoughts come and go.
But actually, you might be meditating every now and then even without realizing it.
I meditate, (and have been doing this for ages), while listening to metal music, drawing and coloring, or when I walk in the woods. Or in a bed, before going to sleep. It really isn't that complicated or mystical.

And I'm not saying that anyone should meditate, if they don't want to.
Just do what works best for you. :)

Last edited by a moderator: