Vegan Shoes

Hog

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
I need some vegan shoes.

I have flat feet and wear custom orthotics. The shoes do not need to be cool looking. But, they must provide good support. I would appreciate any recommendations for high-quality shoes.

Dress shoes or casual?

Are your feet wide? (I have flat feet too, and need to buy wide) Do the orthotics provide enough support in non-supportive shoes?

These are not inexpensive, but I've had two pairs of women shoes and they wear very well. If you need wider, the width descriptions will tell you which styles might suit.

Wills Vegan Shoes

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
I need some vegan shoes.

I have flat feet and wear custom orthotics. The shoes do not need to be cool looking. But, they must provide good support. I would appreciate any recommendations for high-quality shoes.

There are lots of new options on the marketplace. And there will be even more next year.

The old school tried and true solution that I can recommend are New Balance for casual and Doc Martens for less casual. Both companies are really good at sourcing. my Brooks runners, Brooks admits that they don't know where the glues come from. New Balance are like twice as expensive as Brooks. So I don't usually buy them anymore. but... New Balance are made in America. Almost all other shoes are made in China and SE Asia. Probably by children.

• Informative
I am going to admit I have such difficulty with shoes. Fortunately at the job I work now I can get away with Converse or some other canvas shoe, but I have had very little success with leather look-alike shoes. I still have leather boots from before I was vegan that will probably last me 10, 20, maybe 30 years from now. My Docs are the newest and I swear those will last me the rest of my life. I cannot say this for any pair of synthetic shoes I have owned. Buying shoes that are made of plastics just seem so wasteful and not good for the environment, which is a different problem. For this reason, I haven't bought a pair of shoes other than Converse and my running shoes in the last 2 years. A lot of the vegan shoes you find online are either ridiculously expensive, or just plain ugly, IMO. I'm really hoping they make some improvements in this area soon.

• Friendly
I really need to try shoes on before I buy them, and online shopping is not very compatible with this approach.

When I visited the US last time, I went to a shoe shop in Chicago as I badly needed new winter shoes that are also suitable for my workplace, and I was lucky to find a comfortable pair of shoes made from all man-made materials from Dr. Scholl's. I don't know about the glues.

I should clarify my needs for shoes. I have no need for leather looking shoes. The shoes can look ugly and I might not even notice the difference. The shoes only need to provide good foot support. I also do not mind paying a premium for a durable product.

Thank you very much for your suggestions. :)

• Friendly
These just appeared in my inbox. they look cool.

I really need to try shoes on before I buy them, and online shopping is not very compatible with this approach.

When I visited the US last time, I went to a shoe shop in Chicago as I badly needed new winter shoes that are also suitable for my workplace, and I was lucky to find a comfortable pair of shoes made from all man-made materials from Dr. Scholl's. I don't know about the glues.

I often order shoes from Zappos - a size up, a size down, two widths if available and in different colors, etc. and return any and all I don't like. (I know, zappos/amazon, but still sooo convenient to try on at home, wear around the house, try with various socks, free returns and drop off any that won't work when I go to the grocery store.) I'm becoming super picky about fit in my old age and I find that I just can't tell how a shoe is going to work in a store - and that usually means a trip back to the mall. Zappos might hate me because I return a lot, but they still seem to want my business. Lol.