Vegan protein and allergies

Faerystorm

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hello,
I have been a vegan for the past 9 years. In the initial few years I was able to eat a wide range of vegan foods. But in the 4 years the range has decreased due to allergies. I was able to eat chickpeas and lupin tempeh for my protein needs. But now I react to those (skin rashes and IBS).
I can’t eat the following vegan protein sources due to skin reactions, swollen glands and IBS: soya (and derivatives such as tofu etc), lentils, chickpeas, mushrooms, pea protein, oats, tempeh, nuts (all of them), quinoa, wheat (and seitan)
I also have severe reactions to onions, garlic, tomatoes and fragrances and I take anti-histamines on a daily basis. I have eliminated all sources of foods which trouble me. Now the problem is how do I get enough protein. Does anyone have any suggestions on alternative vegan protein sources?
Many thanks

Last edited:
Ohmygosh. That sounds terrible.

I have a friend who has IBS and we commonly share info. Lately, she has been telling me of new treatment plans for IBS. So I think the first thing you need to do is to ask your doctors if they are aware of some of these treatments and if you could be eligible for them.

There are also good tests for determining food allegies and in some cases treat them.

Good luck.

... what @Lou said and also is there any possibility that your allergies are from external factors? pollution in your home? in your town? at your work? Most people have the opposite happen when they choose a plant based lifestyle.

Welcome to the forum!

Emma JC

Reactions: TofuRobot