Vegan products in meat section

ChristineHart

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
I noticed that my local Sainsbury's had some of their vegan burgers in the same section as the meat burgers. It seemed strange as, like most supermarkets, they have a dedicated veggie/vegan cold section. Two things struck me. Firstly, because there's a separate section for vegan and veggie stuff I assumed any chilled products would be there so only noticed the vegan burgers out of the corner of my eye as I was walking down the meat aisle. Secondly, I know meat is pretty difficult to avoid in a supermarket but if you're a vegan do you really want to be looking through the meat products to find plant-based ones?

The fake meat companies can make more money if they put some in the meat aisle. Most people who buy fake meat are not vegans, according to this:

Edit: Actually this article has more info about the economics of it:

Last edited:
I both love and loathe the placement.
I love that it's normalizing alternatives to meat for people who still think it's strange. This is exactly what brought people to non dairy substitutes- it seemed to start with Silk and Blue Diamond and then they all took a chance and they're now viewed as acceptable.
t
I hate it because I certainly don't want to be anywhere near the meat! I went looking for Beyond Burgers and was floored by how many new plant meats there were! Now Nestle is even on the bandwagon with their Sweet Earth products, so you can be assured they're lots of profits.

I also notice many "organic' or whatever, meats are being labeled with a slant towards plants. Not sure if they're trying to convince people to stick with meat or confuse vegetarians

I hate it because I certainly don't want to be anywhere near the meat!

Maybe in some grocery stores the fake meat is only in the meat section, but at my grocery store, which is Wegmans, all the fake meat and other vegan products are in the vegan section and they also have more Impossible Burger in the meat section, but no other fake meat is there.

And that seems to be the case with the OP's store, where the vegan meat is in both places. The blends of real and fake meat are a different story. They will be meat section only I imagine.

Reactions: David3
Maybe in some grocery stores the fake meat is only in the meat section, but at my grocery store, which is Wegmans, all the fake meat and other vegan products are in the vegan section and they also have more Impossible Burger in the meat section, but no other fake meat is there.

And that seems to be the case with the OP's store, where the vegan meat is in both places. The blends of real and fake meat are a different story. They will be meat section only I imagine.
This was a store I rarely frequent, it's known for being "organic" and health concious, but not all that friendly to vegans! They literally have the vegan products in front of the deli, some vegan cheese in the vegan section--and others in the cheese section! I went specifically for a sale on Beyond Meat and found a section of plant based meats next to meat, but not in both. It was quite a variety!

I didn't mean to infer blends of plant and meat, just the how the labeling looked, but then again, maybe they were! I picked it up thinking it was plant based then found nope, it was meat

• Informative
Reactions: David3
I didn't mean to infer blends of plant and meat, just the how the labeling looked, but then again, maybe they were! I picked it up thinking it was plant based then found nope, it was meat

I was bringing up blends independently of what you were saying. I didn't think you were inferring them. I don't know if blend burgers are out yet but I have seen a TV commercial for some blend dinosaur shaped chicken/'chik' n' nuggets.

Edit: "a slant towards plants" does sound like a blend actually.

Last edited:
Our main grocery store also has a ton of PB products in the meat and cheese section and I discovered a ton of vegan frozen food too which I had never seen because they are mixed in with the regular frozen foods, meatballs, chicken nuggets and strips etc. We have a whole area that is organic and plant-based but they don't have any of those specific items there. So strange and I talked to a lady that works there and she didn't have any answers and also thought it was strange. They are the store label, in Canada it is President's Choice, and they are less expensive. As I don't buy a ton of processed foods I haven't tried any of them and I really don't think about it as it isn't an area that I go other than to buy pickles.

Emma JC