Vegan pet owners

louise virgo

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hi all, I am a relatively new vegan and adore everything about 'my' food choices now. But what about pets? I have 2 dogs who I have reared on a meat diet - I feel very unhappy to buy their food now but at the same time I don't want to upset their diet. What do other vegan pet owners feed their animals?

Reactions: Vegan Dogs
I have three cats and feed them canned meat cat food, not kibble (dry food). I would say that vegan pet food is dubious for dogs and inappropriate for cats. Dogs are omnivores that evolved from carnivores (whereas homo sapiens and our ancestors are omnivores that evolved from near vegans) and cats are obligate carnivores. I wouldn't judge anyone either way, because there are strong arguments on both sides. On the the one hand, it is no more justifiable to raise pigs and chickens to feed to dogs and cats than it is to raise dogs and cats to feed to pigs and chickens, and a lot of people seem to have healthy dogs and cats on vegan diets. But on the other hand, we domesticated dogs and cats and are responsible to feed them a species appropriate diet, regardless of our own moral sensitivities. This is why if I had the last two dogs and the last two cats in existence I would not breed them but let these domesticated animals die out. There is an inherent evil in the domestication of animals.

Hypothetical scenario: If everyone on the planet went vegan overnight, then I would suggest that we convert all the factory farms into places for breeding crickets and mealworms (beetle larvae). This would give cats the animal protein they need. Insect sentience is not as definite as the sentience of farm animals or fish and they are better suited to being raised in cramped conditions. I still would not advocate honey for humans, who don't need it. But our cats and (to a lesser extent ) dogs do need animal protein (arguably).

hi, nice write up about the ethical ownership of animals points raised. whilst we do own pets...having created them from wild species that they are now remotely related to...we do not have to feed them flesh. both dogs and cats exist in their thousands healthily on vegan diets now. I did a blog page with loads of supporting links about this including the Guinness world book of records dog Bramble who lived to 25 years old and Little Tyke a vegetarian lioness. thousands of healthy vegan dogs and cats out there. I did a blog page summary of links to Bramble the vegan Guinness world book of records in 2002 vegan dog who lived 25 years healthily. plus little tyke the vegetarian lioness true story. if it were unhealthy or not possible those as well as the thousands of others would not have thrived and lived so long. take a read ! http://vegan-information.com/Vegan_Dogs_and_Cats.html

Hi all, I am a relatively new vegan and adore everything about 'my' food choices now. But what about pets? I have 2 dogs who I have reared on a meat diet - I feel very unhappy to buy their food now but at the same time I don't want to upset their diet. What do other vegan pet owners feed their animals?
No one here seems to be aware of BRAMBLE ! astonishing. vegans unaware of the Guinness World Book of Records Book in 2002 longest lived dog then ! VEGAN ! 25 years old fed on home made veggies ! like most peasants hunting dogs have been for decades I add.

It is a "modern" phenomenon to buy dog and catfood.

For decades and still now...hunting dogs we kept and others still keep...get fed not MEAT but boiled veggies pastas etc ! people in the country with hunting dogs do not feed their huskies laikas etc meat ! that is expensive and wasted on hunting dogs.

Super fit...fast obviously as hunting dogs need high energy

My MODERN fancy breed dogs...like my cat...were fed bought flesh content foods...what a mistake that was.

It is Poison...giving DEATH and CRUELTY to dogs and cats is ridiculous and unnecessary . especially for vegans.

Cancers...antibiotics...low grade below human flesh etc. it is all unhealthy besides cruel.

My relatives LAUGHED at me...more money than sense they said.

Then my female dog got stomac ulcers...vet said go vegan the acidity in stomac is the issue...and now both my dogs are fed vegan kibble and super healthy. no more stomac ulcers.

There are thousands of long lived healthy vegan dogs and cats out there. BRAMBLE is the most famous of course.

Hope this is informative as i am astonished that vegans do not know these things.

http://vegan-information.com/Vegan_Dogs_and_Cats.html

I am facing this issue soon too. My dogs are 12 and 13 years old and I don't want to change their diet drastically. At the moment, as I am a very new vegan they are eating all the meat out of my freezer so are very happy right now! I think the way to deal with this for me will be to buy dog food that is as ethically produced as I can find.

The reason my dogs can't go out and hunt for their own meat is because of us humans, they would never choose to eat a vegan diet so I don't think I should impose it on them.

I don't think its at all appropriate to try and feed cats a vegan diet. If you don't want to feed them meat, don't get a cat, there are lots of other pets.

Reactions: Deleted member 3018
there is no ethically sourced dead animal meat. dead animals are dead. that is not ethical so get that stupid idead out of your head it isnt difficult to understand...dead animals are not ethical

you dog...has no choice in anything in his or her life

he has no choice to live free

what you feed your dog is the LEAST of the problem regarding choice

Noelle Obcarskas added 42 new photos.
3 hrs ·
Pulford Chester England Belgian Shepherd Groenendael Vegan Black Dogs in the Snow 10th December 2017 morning.

Happy Healthy Vegan Dogs !

The Weather Forecasters GOT IT RIGHT yesterday...had snow first then so a safe bet wink wink !
1f609.png
1f609.png

My vegan high energy EXOCET Belgian Shepherds need high quality high energy dog food nutrition that is GMO free...antibiotics free...and not based therefore on dead animals full of those cancerous heart attack and aggression encouraging foods. Blood breeds blood. Smell and get used to the taste of blood ? bites more likely. Ask the military they know. That is why the Belgian Shepherds of the British Royals are again being destroyed.

Save lives...save your health...save the planet and wildlife...Go Vegan World.

I have often heard the argument that humans should be vegans because of their teeth. If this argument is true then dogs and cats are clearly meat eaters. I have little doubt that a dog can exist on plants but I firmly believe they will not do well. I will continue to feed my dog meat based diet.

My goldendoodle is accidentally vegetarian. He doesn't like beef or liver, is allergic to chicken and lamb, and the only treats he'll eat are freeze dried cheese or sweet potato (i'll make them by myself sometimes). He has a vegetarian kibble that we buy from our breeder (she breeds doodle's for service dog training as well).

I am facing this issue soon too. My dogs are 12 and 13 years old and I don't want to change their diet drastically. At the moment, as I am a very new vegan they are eating all the meat out of my freezer so are very happy right now! I think the way to deal with this for me will be to buy dog food that is as ethically produced as I can find.

The reason my dogs can't go out and hunt for their own meat is because of us humans, they would never choose to eat a vegan diet so I don't think I should impose it on them.

I don't think its at all appropriate to try and feed cats a vegan diet. If you don't want to feed them meat, don't get a cat, there are lots of other pets.
Vegan Cats. Examples of living healthy thriving VEGAN FED CATS in the slideshow ! Healthy Vegan fed cats have lived to the long age of 20 years old.

Those 2 in the picture that includes the Ginger cat with a Blackie cat eating with relish their UK Vegan catfood figured recently in 2018 on BBC TV also recorded talk ! Fed since 7 years and 2.5 years vegan fed cats thriving ! Magic and Jonke.

Celine and Poppy saved from Hillgrove Vivisection laboratories in the UK ! Poppy died just a few days before his 20th birthday Celine was under the Christmas Tree December 2018 a glossy coated bright eyed bushy tailed healthy vegan fed cat on this webpage. http://vegan-information.com/Vegan_Cats_List_Examples.html
Vegan cats Celine and Poppy. The Siamese boy died last year just a few days short of his 20th Birthday. He had been vegan for about 10 years and remained very healthy, he died in his sleep (in owner bed). Celine the black cat was rescued from a vivisection farm estimated age 9 to 18 months old. 15 years later she had a routine check-up and the vet said she has the blood profile of a 7 year old cat! Celine has also enjoyed a vegan diet for 10 years as at December 2018 her age now 20 years old. Fed Benevo Kibble from www.vegepets.com in the UK.

Not only CRUELTY DEATH FREE food...but HEALTHY ingredients without any of the crap and below human standard ingredients so common in other non vegan petfoods !

Talk on USA Vegan Nation Radio of December 2018 here..
The talk ! http://wcuw.org/vegannation/V.N.12.27.18.Evolution.VeganCats.NoelleObcarskas-UK.mp3

Petfood protein based on animals content would constitute the 5th largest continent in the world population. It is a multi billion USD etc income to this deadly business.

The word OBLIGATE CARNIVORE comes from the FRENCH language. It means FORCED ! OBLIGE means FORCED ! to eat what was available at the time only that in fact gives the feline cat species HIGH RISK UTI/KIDNEY/CRYSTALS diseases if fed raw flesh....fact ! go see the scientific autopsies reports on 87 percent renal kidney diseases found in Wild Lions on those diets provided links to where to find those article in the links below. We are no longer FORCED to live off other animals lives !

Taurine...is SYNTHETIC so VEGAN as standard in ALL so labelled when quantified petfoods ! Fact ! many people do not realise this.

Cats as a species are WEAK genetically for health in having 30 percent heart murmers and UTI/Kidney/Crystals common problems. This is LOWER than their wild counterpart lion type felines who suffer 74 percent more than double the renal/kidney diseases (on raw flesh diets so obviously not healthy for them) but the same 30 percent species high heart diseases. Male cats especially neutered ones suffer more urinary crystals than females due to their narrower urine anatomy system. Links to the scientific studies with these findings on the general information page link.

To reduce the massive deaths of animals for human and pet animals' consumption we need to not support the animal agriculture industry.

Vegan Nation....a USA Radio Station recently aired a talk on VEGAN CATS.

The link to the recorded talk to listen to is on this page with after dinner and pre talk comments ...

http://vegan-information.com/Vegan_Nation_Radio_Vegan_Cats.html

some of the 20 year old Vegan cats mentioned also on this page....

http://vegan-information.com/Vegan_Cats_List_Examples.html

General links to expert vets etc on this page.

http://vegan-information.com/Vegan_Dogs_and_Cats.html

Direct link to Andrew Knight highly qualified expert in Cat and Dog nutrition provides many scientific reports and finding here....
http://www.vegepets.info/

Dr Armaiti May also a highly qualified USA vet nutrition expert videos and webpages available links provided on information links provided here and on youtube also.

Evolution in USA have been providing healthy vegan petfoods for 30 years now in 2018.
https://www.evolutiondietstore.com/...38DC01B4CE53CF9D.p3plqscsfapp003?categoryId=5

Benevo in the UK have been providing healthy vegan petfoods for cats dogs ferrets also for years now.
https://veggiepets.com/

Ami in Italy, Yarrah in the Netherlands....Spain....All over the world now we have vegan health petfoods available to us. VEGUSTO a Switzerland based company also...Evolution. https://www.vegusto.ch/product_details/146

We can make our own home made with Compassion Circle kitten, Puppy as well as Adult Dogs Cats Ferrets foods recipes.
https://compassioncircle.com/cats/

Greetings: Pls do an internet search and ask your vet BEFORE you feed your dog #vegan dog food
As far as I know they are omnivores and can go without meat, BUT you should ask your vet first.
If you need #vegan dog food I found this

Looking for #vegan dog food? Here is a promo code for you: I've got a promo code for 60% off #vegan dog food from Wild Earth on your first order: Promo code for 60% off for dog food at Wild Earth #GoVegan #AdoptPetsDontBuy #WildEarthPets
Offer valid until August 18 2020

It seems strange to try tell people to ask their vets what to feed their dogs...then in the next sentence advise people to go buy some promote dog food.

People who own animals as pets or whatever are perfectly intelligent enough to know whether they need to speak to vets about anything or not.

Vegan Dogs

I have to admit I know nothing about the subject so I did a little Googling and people mentioned vitamin D a lot. Do vegan pet food producers usually add vitamin D or do you need to supplement? It strikes me that as long as the nutrition is adequate and the animal is happy with the food, what is "natural" becomes irrelevant.

Vegan Dogs

I have to admit I know nothing about the subject so I did a little Googling and people mentioned vitamin D a lot. Do vegan pet food producers usually add vitamin D or do you need to supplement? It strikes me that as long as the nutrition is adequate and the animal is happy with the food, what is "natural" becomes irrelevant.

Vitamin D is included as standard in any dog pet food labelled "complete"

The term "complete" is a legal nutritional term...as are terms mentioning ages or life stages of the animals.

Any pet food which were NOT "complete" meaning containing the complete recommended species appropriate nutrients ...would not be sold as complete nutrition and make it clear what was missing

There is therefore NO risk of missing any required nutrients when buying specially produced by vegan companies complete vegan pet food.

I would not choose to buy vegan pet food from a non vegan pet food producer.

I prefer like most vegans to support vegan companies.

Wysong additionally a pet food maker produces vegan pet foods that have been tested as inferior to other vegan brands in studies...and they themselves do not recommend their vegan pet food for long term main feeding so beware.

There are over 20 totally vegan pet food producers in the world...so plenty choice of high quality assured vegan pet foods.

I did a thread with links to them all on a previous post i did here...

• Informative
Reactions: Brian W
People need to realise that pet foods are regulated by government authorities.

Like all food sold to the public..there are laws about labelling and quality standards that foods have to comply with ...be they human or non human designated foods

Digestion...species appropriate...nutrients quantities...are all criteria that are in pet food standards by law needing to be met.

It is illegal...to put on labels for example "taurine" unless it has been measured, quantified...and therefore NO raw cat foods bought will ever have the word "taurine" on their labels as it is not possible to quantify if there is any taurine in the sold product...taurine is destroyed fast once an animal dies and by freezing water run offs cooking etc.

Any mention of the nutrient "taurine " on pet food labels means it is synthetic so vegan in ALL commercial cat foods.

This is something many people just are plain ignorant about...but when understood...it is clear...anyone claiming taurine is only available in "meat" meaning bred and killed by humans animals...is totally wrong...in all commercial pet foods where taurine is mentioned on the labels...it is totally synthetic so vegan.

In the USA...pet foods are controlled by the FDA...in Europe...it is the FEDIAF organisations.

In addition...the standard setters in the USA are AAFCO who list in great detail exactly what nutrients in what quantities any pet foods sold to the public need to provide at all life stages.

These details are easily visible by a google search for AAFCO i add. And i am sure I provide a link to them in my post done specifically on vegan pet foods mentioned above...the link i provide again...

So it is actually not sensible to tell people that they need to speak to their vets to get any approval for what they feed their pets...no one needs to do that...people need to know about the pet food standards set by AAFCO and check whatever pet food they buy is compliant or not with those standards in the labels and descriptions of contents.

I did review the vegan pet foods...and in particular EVOLUTION of the USA who have been selling vegan pet foods for dogs and cats for over 30 years....are ABOVE AAFCO standards ...so this is very clear and reassuring.

Vets...who earn from selling specific pet foods...as many do...are NOT therefore independant persons to take advice from about what pet foods to feed pets. For obvious reasons...no one who is earning from specific brands is independant on this matter so the buyer needs to be aware of this and make their own decisions.

I could welcome a system where no vets were allowed to sell or make money from pet foods...that then would make them independant ...until that day...their views on pet foods are not valid for obvious reasons.

Last edited:
Summary of reasons for feeding dogs cats ferrets readily available vegan pet foods that have been out for over 30 years without any recalls.

1. They have been sold publically with never any recalls, not one, never any published cases of sick or dead pets due to the foods for over 30 years now world wide.

There have been in contrast THOUSANDS of deaths and sick dogs and cats from proven caused by pet foods of non vegan content. In 2020...5 out of 7 recalls by the government pet food authorities were RAW pet foods.

Those FACTS are easily verifiable as the Government Food Authorities publish public notices of recalls of petfoods easily found by a simple google search and reproduced in many websites and online sources.

2. There are government pet food authorities who set the standards and control recalls of any lacking or causing serious health or death problems pet foods.

In the USA this is the FDA and the standard setters are AAFCO. In Europe this is the FEDIAF.

These are independant nutrition scientific experts...not earning from selling any pet foods but independant standard setters and controllers of pet foods.

3. All pet foods sold publically have by law to be "species appropriate" and by labels state if "complete" and for what life stages.

There are laws governing these issues and therefore it is totally incorrect to speak of vegan pet foods not being "species appropriate" as by LAW that is what they are if sold to the public.

4. There are many health benefits well documented from freeding vegan pet foods.

There are many prescription pet foods that since decades have been mostly vegan to cure many health problems in many dogs and cats.

Both those statements are easily verifiable by easy google searches and knowledge of what are in prescription pet foods and why. Many cats dogs have allergies to animal pet foods is a fact.

Many heart diseases are alleviated by feeding plant based foods.

5. Many not peer reviewed websites make erroneous statements about vegan pet foods.

One has to be aware of influences of the meat industry on those linked to earning from the pet foods they recommend.

TAURINE is a matter many seemingly knowledgeable websites get very wrong....and any review of the details on labels on pet foods of the TAURINE content would reveal that it is synthetic so vegan in all commercial cat foods so those claiming it is only found in meat and that vegan cat foods would make a cat go blind or die due to lack of taurine...are totally wrong...and have not understood the first point about PET FOOD LAWS controlling pet foods as well as the taurine nutrient source of all commercial cat foods.

Those are the NUTRITIONAL reasons for feeding cats and dogs vegan.

Now to the ETHICAL VEGAN reason.

6. Veganism means..."animals are not ours to use"

So breeding and killing animals is simply not vegan.

7. Cruelty...ethical not legal cruelty...is an important distinction.

One needs to realise...there is a difference between "cruelty" as defined by the LAW...for which animal welfare act laws exist...which allow killing of animals legally as not cruel as defined by the law...nor is vegan legal pet food "cruel" of course per the law.

The ETHICAL judgemental view of "cruelty" that sees as veganism does the breeding and killing of animals as "cruelty" is what vegans believe in ethically.

Therefore...there is a huge distinction between describing feeding an animal food as cruel as compared to killing an animal.

The 2 actions are totally incomparable i suggest. Anyone who thinks they are similar needs to re examine their ideas or explain why they would be similar.

Before anyone writes accusing anyone of "cruelty" and "forcing things on animals" again on this topic...

Can i ask..that ALL such comments.....include mention of the "cruelty" of "forcing death" on forced into existance as prisoners captive baby life stage animals owned by humans.

Describe...what "cruelty" is involved in putting food in a dish that an animal clearly thrives on and does not ever die of...compared to..the "cruelty" of force breeding animals and forcing them to die as babies ? i mean most killed animals are between 1 day old and a few months old when killed by humans...so far...there are 20 year old healthy vegan fed cats around and less old vegan fed dogs albeit Bramble famous example lived to age 25 similarly to her unrelated companion dogs.

There are legal definitions of what "cruelty" to animals is...and nowhere is pet food included as one of them.

Morally if not legally cruelty is surely killing baby animals ? if anyone does not think so...then explain that or admit one is not vegan if not believing this to be true.

Do people talking of "forcing things" on animals owned by humans think animals owned by humans that are slaughtered to willingly to their deaths ?

Do people talking of "forcing things on animals humans own" not think forcing death on these animals is not forcing them ?

My view....is that "animals are not ours to use"

So as baby chicks...lambs...turkeys...fish...are not ours to use...i have no right as a vegan to take their lives.

What is not mine...is not mine to take the life of.

i see no cruelty meaning suffering or death in 20 year old vet tested healthy vegan cats and vet tested healthy long lived vegan dogs. Bramble 25 years lived healthy vegan dog famous example is well known and several companions fed the same not related dogs lived similar long lives with Anne Heritage the owner.

Working Huskies scientific peer reviwed studies showed vegan fed working huskies out per formed the meat fed ones...and there is no breed needing more high quality energy than a working huskey.

That study as well as other PEER REVIEWED scientific studies on vegan diets for pet dogs and cats and reference to Little Tyke the famous vegetarian Lioness in the USA who never ate meat at all and never had any health issues due to diet are referenced in this website in particular of highly qualified international expert Dr Andrew Knight...

www.vegepets.com

PEER REVIEWED means not just individual vet or individual scientist views...but checked verified as independant valid conclusions by independant experts.

Andrew Knight BSc (Vet Biol), BVMS, CertAW, MANZCVS, DipECAWBM (AWSEL), DipACAW, PhD, FRCVS, PFHEA

Andrew Knight is a ridiculously busy bloke. He is Professor of Animal Welfare and Ethics, and Founding Director of the Centre for Animal Welfare, at the University of Winchester; a EBVS European and RCVS Veterinary Specialist in Animal Welfare Science, Ethics and Law; an American and New Zealand Veterinary Specialist in Animal Welfare; a Fellow of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons, and a Principal Fellow of the UK Higher Education Academy.

Andrew has over 65 academic publications and a series of YouTube videos on animal issues. These include an extensive series examining the contributions to human healthcare of animal experiments, which formed the basis for his 2010 PhD and his 2011 book The Costs and Benefits of Animal Experiments. Andrew’s other publications have examined the contributions of the livestock sector to climate change, vegetarian companion animal diets, the animal welfare standards of veterinarians, and the latest evidence about animal cognitive and related abilities, and the resultant moral implications. His informational websites include www.AnimalExperiments.info, www.HumaneLearning.info and www.VegePets.info

Last edited:
The thing with companion animals is that their health and well-being comes first meaning that when you have pets, you must be willing to make sacrifices. What feels good to us is irrelevant, because pets rely on their guardians.
With dogs I think that they could in theory live as vegans or at least vegetarians, because they are more adapted eating whatever humans have given them over the years they have lived with us (there are some other reasons too that I'm not aware of). But you must do your research and not only that, consult your vet and monitor the dogs with your vet incase something goes wrong.
You can have carnivorous pets as a vegan, as a matter of fact saving cats and dogs from shelter is crucially important because many of them end up being euthanized if no one is willing to foster or adopt them. I'm against breeding and buying pets: I think it's insane that we have so many homeless pets and still people are supporting the breeding industry.
And irresponsible pet ownership is of course also a horrendous thing, since pets are so vulnerable. I'd advice you to do what you must to keep them healthy, that might not mean that you must feed them meat, but if it does, continue to do that even if that makes you uncomfortable.

Personaly, I don't think I can handle carnivorous pets myself anymore. I had a cat for 15 years and even though I deeply love and adore cats and am interested in everyhting cat, I'm not so sure if I would be up to it anymore. The best food for cats is homemade raw meat based food, as far as I know and I would want to give my cats the best, not just "good" (meaning the wet meat based cat food, which can be oftentimes more questionable than actually a good option).
But if I'd still adop or foster, I would make the sacrifices needed to keep them as healthy as possible. If in the future there would be an safe and well tested vegan option for cats I'd try that out while long-term monitoring the situation with a vet. With an elderly cat or a cat with health issues, I wouldn't dare to put them on a vegan diet. Also male cats are questionable, because they are more prone to die from struvite stones that can be caused by vegan cat diet.
I don't think that the fact that I'm not comfortable adopting and taking care of cats right now makes me a better vegan. And there are other reasons for not adopting which I will not discuss here.
Jackson Galaxy and Hannah Shaw are vegan and they have carnivorous companion animals. They have spent their lives saving cats and other animals from shelters and I think that's a noble cause.
It's not the animals fault that they live and to do so need appropriate diet. We humans have caused the problem that shelters face by irresponsible breeding, consumerism attitude, not spaying/neutering and abandoning or neglecting pets.

I hope that your dogs live a long, happy and healthy life. But if you are to adopt after them, you could consider adopting herbivores instead, or pets that needs much less meat, like rats for example. But taking care of a pet is never easy, so what ever you chose to adopt in the future, it'll still be a sacrifice and a huge responsibility.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Calliegirl
The thing with companion animals is that their health and well-being comes first meaning that when you have pets, you must be willing to make sacrifices. What feels good to us is irrelevant, because pets rely on their guardians.
With dogs I think that they could in theory live as vegans or at least vegetarians, because they are more adapted eating whatever humans have given them over the years they have lived with us (there are some other reasons too that I'm not aware of). But you must do your research and not only that, consult your vet and monitor the dogs with your vet incase something goes wrong.
You can have carnivorous pets as a vegan, as a matter of fact saving cats and dogs from shelter is crucially important because many of them end up being euthanized if no one is willing to foster or adopt them. I'm against breeding and buying pets: I think it's insane that we have so many homeless pets and still people are supporting the breeding industry.
And irresponsible pet ownership is of course also a horrendous thing, since pets are so vulnerable. I'd advice you to do what you must to keep them healthy, that might not mean that you must feed them meat, but if it does, continue to do that even if that makes you uncomfortable.

Personaly, I don't think I can handle carnivorous pets myself anymore. I had a cat for 15 years and even though I deeply love and adore cats and am interested in everyhting cat, I'm not so sure if I would be up to it anymore. The best food for cats is homemade raw meat based food, as far as I know and I would want to give my cats the best, not just "good" (meaning the wet meat based cat food, which can be oftentimes more questionable than actually a good option).
But if I'd still adop or foster, I would make the sacrifices needed to keep them as healthy as possible. If in the future there would be an safe and well tested vegan option for cats I'd try that out while long-term monitoring the situation with a vet. With an elderly cat or a cat with health issues, I wouldn't dare to put them on a vegan diet. Also male cats are questionable, because they are more prone to die from struvite stones that can be caused by vegan cat diet.
I don't think that the fact that I'm not comfortable adopting and taking care of cats right now makes me a better vegan. And there are other reasons for not adopting which I will not discuss here.
Jackson Galaxy and Hannah Shaw are vegan and they have carnivorous companion animals. They have spent their lives saving cats and other animals from shelters and I think that's a noble cause.
It's not the animals fault that they live and to do so need appropriate diet. We humans have caused the problem that shelters face by irresponsible breeding, consumerism attitude, not spaying/neutering and abandoning or neglecting pets.

I hope that your dogs live a long, happy and healthy life. But if you are to adopt after them, you could consider adopting herbivores instead, or pets that needs much less meat, like rats for example. But taking care of a pet is never easy, so what ever you chose to adopt in the future, it'll still be a sacrifice and a huge responsibility.

Non vegan animal fed cats get crystals in urine big time...fact.

in fact...74 percent of wild lions die of renal kidney diseases so obviously the "raw" food they are forced to eat naturally is not healthy for them. fact.

I keep a cat and dogs and that is my right and i feed them pet food laws controlled species appropriate cruelty free vegan pet food. end of problem

plus...vegan means..."animals are not ours to use" meaning it is hypocritical to campaign against animal breeding and killing by humans and then pay for exactly that. total nonsense. either animals are ours to use and kill or they are not.

The truth is...no one adopts chickens but chooses to kill them to feed to the kind of animals people prefer to keep as pets. Dogs and cats. it is about entertainment value to the owner not the lives of animals.

There are no lives saved...by feeding 3000 chickens to 1 cat or dog over their lifetime. In fact 3000 lives are taken. It would be better to kill the 1 dog or cat. Seriously. That however is not necessary. They can are are fed vegan pet foods that by law are species appropriate.

Vegan pet foods are by law "species appropriate" and long lived cats and dogs exist.

It is ignorance to believe that the government controllers and recallers of pet foods do not have vet experts in nutrition...far far more highly experts in nutrition of course than the average run of the mill earns from injecting vaccines vets on the make injecting animals to death on farms also.

Celine and Poppy...UK 20 year old healthy vegan cats no crystals. Nor has mine. I am a forum admin of vegan cats group...so I would know of any health issues vegan cats have that are different to non vegan cats...there are none...and studies done show there are none. Peer reviewed studies. celine vegan cats.jpg

Last edited:
People can "get" whatever animal they want to "get" as a pet so long as legal.

Just as people can kill whatever animal they want to kill so long as legal.

People therefore can "get" a cat or dog and feed them legal species appropriate pet food and not kill other bred and killed by humans animals.

I do not tell other people what to "get" or who to "kill" i am vegan so I do not believe that "animals are ours to breed and kill" is why not. Whatever other people think "vegan" means is up to them of course...i simply quote the PETA simple easy to understand slogan of..."animals are not ours to use" meaning "kill" of course and "breed" of course. Now i fail to understand why dog breeding would be not "vegan" or killing and eating animals generally is not "vegan" if people think animals are ours to breed and kill is all i explain about my confusion about what is vegan and not vegan...but i sure do accept...people call themselves the pope or vegan or whatever they wish and believe they are based on whatever their understanding of the word vegan is.

I could wear a dog fur coat and call myself vegan i am sure in fact. Everything can be justified.

Others do as they please. I would not recommend killing animals to anyone however vegan or not. The title "vegan" is simply a title people give themselves...it has not real meaning or test to prove anything. Anyone can call themselves vegan...that is legal...and everyone can have a view on who is or is not vegan. If anyone takes offense at not being called vegan...i remind us..there are non vegans in this group. Now if we cannot contradict someone who calls themselves vegan if they wear fur animal coats...then fine...i will end saying...yes i own several animal fur coats and i wear them and one is a dog fur coat. I can also say i am vegan...and i do not lie about the fur coats. But everyone anyone can kill animals bred by humans and call themselves vegan is fine with me from now on.

ps Dog fur coats are warm. Any excuse will do. I needed warmth so I bought a reddish coat fur coat. I also call myself vegan.

Maybe i should have got a chicken feathers fur coat ? maybe all those bred and killed chickens who end up in pet food could be used to provide fur coats to vegans too ? why not ? well actually mink is a nice fur coat too. People use animals and call themselves vegan easily ...as i and loads do. People decide which and how many animals they want to kill is the truth....any excuse will do...and we can all call ourselves "vegan" because the PETA 1 liner of "animals are not ours to use" is not a vegan principle just some waffle.

Let no one call me not a vegan for wearing a dog fur coat. There are no rules for veganism...animals are ours to use is really what some believe so I accept that.

Oh another point I just add...

The previous commenter stated they were against breeding animals.

Well how...do animals appear in non vegan pet foods ? surely we realise rabbits in particuarl ar especially bred only for pet foods ? if people do not know this i suggest it is time to realise ...that is the truth...billions of rabbits are bred just for the 30 percent of all bred and killed animals for pet food

So now what ?

we stop breeding animals ?

oh the comment made was only about stopping breeding dogs and cats...well why ? why only stop breeding dogs and cats and not rabbits ? i see no sense in that matter.

One possible solution would be...kill the unwanted pet dogs to put in pet cat food...totally legal and takes place actually in the USA by the way...and kill unwanted pet cats and put them in pet dog food.

Why not ? they are "just animals" and "meat is meat" and it would save thousands of chickens bred and killed lives.

Or...feed pet cats and dogs that are wanted vegan...look forward to the extinction of pet domestic breeds of dogs cats rabbits chickens ..and a vegan world.

Once we agree that "animals are ours to use" meaning breed and kill...it really does not matter which "species" of animals we breed and kill does it !

We can kill dogs and cats in fact ... sorts out the problem ...if there is one.

1 killed cat compared to 3000 killed baby chicks lives...seems a fair deal. Minimal harm. They are all "just animals" after all.

I do not need to kill 3000 baby chicks...i feed healthy legal vegan pet food to my captive unnatural prisoner pets.

Last edited: