Vegan foundation ... the struggle is real

Cas

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Yo!

So I'm gradually transitioning all products in my house over to vegan-friendly ones and I've worked my way round to the one I think is toughest - makeup, or more specifically, foundation 😫

I really really liked the look of Body Shop's All-in-One Face Base, only to find out that it has been discontinued and their alternative is turning people orange 😆 so I've been searching for that kind of thing, i.e. a compact cream-to-powder type deal, as I don't like a non-matte finish on me and also don't want to be faffing around with separate liquids and powders. As if that wasn't tricky enough, throw into the mix that my skin tone is extremely fair and you've got a match made in hell 👿

Fast forward through hours of online digging and throwing out brands such as Cover FX (not matte) and GOSH (they say cruelty free - I say how, when you've used animal gunk to make your products 🤨 p.s. I do know the difference, I'm just contesting it!) and I'm actually no closer than when I started...

Anyway, rant aside I would reeaaally appreciate some help, please and thank you!

Much love
Cas
X

Reactions: Lou
Welcome to VF Cas. :hug:Being a man, I don't know a lot about make up but my wife likes a lot of Lush products. Have you tried Lush? Better than supporting Procter And Gamble via the Body Shop. :)

Reactions: Lou
Hey Brian 😁 thanks for replying and getting stuck in!

I did infact look at Lush, however the only foundation they do seems to be an odd-looking solid block 😂 I do really love their shower stuff though!

And UGH, don't get me started on P&G and parent companies in general! Only recently occurred to me that they were an additional problem and I had to go through all the bits I'd been replacing to see who was actually legit 😑

Reactions: Brian W
Hey Brian 😁 thanks for replying and getting stuck in!

I did infact look at Lush, however the only foundation they do seems to be an odd-looking solid block 😂 I do really love their shower stuff though!

And UGH, don't get me started on P&G and parent companies in general! Only recently occurred to me that they were an additional problem and I had to go through all the bits I'd been replacing to see who was actually legit 😑
Be gentle with yourself though or you will burn out. :zen: You have only just started your journey. M (my wife) often buys me Lush bath bombs that turn the water all kinds of attractive colours as well as smelling lovely. :bath:

Aww what a gal!! Yeah I do frequently burn out 😆 I'm just all or nothing!

Reactions: Brian W
Be really careful and don't use any powder foundation that contains mica, like Bare Minerals.

Mica mining uses very young children, working in horrifying conditions, as "diggers" in mica mining. Many of the children have been killed by collapses of these shallow mines.

Manjoraza is among thousands of children working in Madagascar’s mica industry — an underground army of little laborers who go largely unseen in a country famous for its lush forests, vanilla crop and lemur population.

Here, where Madagascar’s mica supply chain begins, the boy and his family are trapped in a cycle of extreme poverty, exploitation and child labor that spans generations. Without clean water, access to health care or schooling, children like Manjoraza see their present and their future as revolving around the shards of mica buried in the pits down below.

This one shows children as young as 5 years old working in a mine in India

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 1956 and Brian W
Wow - another thing to watch out for! I do feel that this whole 'cruelty-free' thing is halfway between no where, especially if you start bringing human rights into it... it's just insane.

I wasn't too impressed with what I saw from Bare Minerals if I'm honest, but they are on all the vegan blog recommendations!

I guess when I'm talking about a powder finish it's just really that matte texture, as opposed to it being an actual pressed powder and potentially putting poor little Manjoraza to work 😓 although the ingredients could be the same I suppose...

Not helpful for your question, but have you ever quit foundation completely, for a length of time?
I had a terrible complextion- blackheads, large pores, uneven tone. I quit makeup, and soap, instead using natural food based scrubs and masks like sugars, amla powder, oils. I used to think people that didn't wear makeup were lucky, but it turned out makeup was causing my need for makeup!
And the eye liners-- my eyes look so much better. I didn't realize they got, I don't even know now, but kinda puffy?

Reactions: 1956
I found this. A little pricey, but it seems to fit the bill. I checked and they do ship to the UK.

Without titanium dioxide, mica, and so much more, the Loose Powder Mineral Foundation is the best-selling choice for those with very sensitive skin that tends to react to nearly every other - even mineral and 'natural' makeup products.

Omiana products are formulated without talc, bismuth oxychloride, parabens, phthalates, SLS, petrolatum, coal tar, fragrances, silicones, BHT, and so much more. We've options without titanium dioxide, zinc oxide, mica, tocopheryl acetate as well as tocopherol, coconut oil -- you name it!

It goes on easy and feels like nothing at all, naturally. This foundation evens your skin tone, enhances your complexion, and reduces fine lines and pores' appearance.

• Vegan
  • Clean mineral ingredients
  • Natural shades with buildable color
  • Matte finish
  • All-day color

Last edited:
  • Informative
You should be able to find vegan and Leaping Bunny products from Superdrug stores. You can also order products online.

https://www.superdrug.com/blog/ask-the-experts/guide-cruelty-free-vegan-makeup

https://www.superdrug.com/medias/cu...s/Superdrug-Modern-Slavery-Statement-2019.pdf

Brands that have been linked to India’s mica mines include Estée Lauder, MAC, Rimmel, Bobbi Brown, Clinique, Toofaced, Schwartzkopf, Intercos, Sun Chemicals, Tesco, Asda, BMW, Vauxhall and Audi (as mica is also used to make glittery car paint). However one of the most notable is the world’s second largest cosmetics company: L’Oréal.

L’Oréal, who owns Maybelline, Lancôme, Garnier, Yves Saint Laurent Beauty, Kiehls, Urban Decay (a very well known cruelty free brand) and more, buys mica through intermediaries such as the German company Merck and the Chinese company Kuncai.

The biggest example of this would be Lush, who are well known for their cruelty free and vegan products. Their active use of mica for many years shows that we must go further than cruelty free in our products. Back in 2014, after being confronted with the issues surrounding mica, Lush committed to removing mica from all its products. However, despite not knowingly purchasing materials containing natural mica since then, this has still proven to be difficult. In 2016 The Guardian reported the following:

https://ethicalunicorn.com/2018/03/...t-enough-lets-talk-about-slavery-and-make-up/

• Informative
Thanks guys for all your help!

silva - it's funny you should say that, since all our lockdowns, I can count the times I've worn makeup on one hand for the past year. Having said that, I do really still like to have the option for when I want to go somewhere and I want to make sure I pick the right product!

LoreD - thank you for looking, I'm really touched you would go out of your way to search for me 🥰 I'm not sure if powder alone provides sufficient coverage though?

shyvas - I did in fact look at Superdrug as I am aware they have come a long way in their search for ethical beauty. However, there was nothing that seemed quite right I'm afraid, but thanks for the recommendation! Also, interesting that Toofaced are listed as cruelty free in most places - I guess Toofaced by name, Toofaced by nature 🤣

• Agree
Reactions: silva
Thanks guys for all your help!

shyvas - I did in fact look at Superdrug as I am aware they have come a long way in their search for ethical beauty. However, there was nothing that seemed quite right I'm afraid, but thanks for the recommendation! Also, interesting that Toofaced are listed as cruelty free in most places - I guess Toofaced by name, Toofaced by nature 🤣

I'm not quite sure what kind of product you are looking for. If it's a foundation that gives you a natural look without that heavy, clogging feeling perhaps Amazonian clay from tarte would suit you.

Thanx for your feedback; :)