Vegan foods

SusanThomas

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hello all,
I am new here and this is my first post. I want help regarding a vegan diet, what delicious foods I can eat while remaining vegan? I have a bad habit of eating and I am working on it, of course, it will take time till then I need your support.
Secondly, I have a wonderful blog on the topic of how to break bad eating habits sharing in case anyone of you interested in reading this.

Thanks and waiting for your ideas.

Just took a quick look at your blog. I was very impressed. I'll try to take a longer look when I have some more time.

There have been countless words written and spoken on habits and veganism. My first adopted vegan guru, Colleen Patrick Goudreau, has discussed it, in her podcasts, books, and videos. Later this week I'll try to find a few links for you.

But basically she takes the typical psychologist stance: it takes 21 days to break a bad habit or form a new one.

The other thing she says and has been backed up by a lot of studies is that some of the food we consider a bad habit is really an addiction. Dr. Fuhrman discusses this in his book Eat To Live. Sugar, fat, salt, caffeine, al have addictive properties. Another concept that Fuhrman and others bring up is that a high sugar and low fiber diet change the make up our gut bacteria and the gut bacteria have the ability to send chemical messages to out brains demanding more sugar.

There is probably no best approach. People are all different. What really helped me is a well-planned meal plan and shopping list. Also, I think it really helps mentally in knowing that it just keeps getting easier.

Hi there. You've come to a Vegan website looking for food advice, and it's unfortunate one of the first names you read on your thread is that of Fuhrman.

The other thing she says and has been backed up by a lot of studies is that some of the food we consider a bad habit is really an addiction. Dr. Fuhrman discusses this in his book Eat To Live. Sugar, fat, salt, caffeine, al have addictive properties. Another concept that Fuhrman and others bring up is that a high sugar and low fiber diet change the make up our gut bacteria and the gut bacteria have the ability to send chemical messages to out brains demanding more sugar.

While it is true that high sugar, low fiber diets change gut microbiota and can cause addictions (primarily from what one is eating, namely, animal and animal based products, including their fats)...it is not helpful when you get television celebrity doctors tail-coating off the real researchers and scientists in order to create their own special niche market that includes animal foods, even small amounts of them - and that is exactly what Joel Fuhrman does. In addition, he is clearly in it for money, he sells memberships and recipes and a variety of supplements on his website (those you're supposed to get already with his "Nutritarian" program). Here's his food pyramid, also from his website:

48181d76452c62bf9b8028a82c666960d38dff407b823cf334bca4287c047019.jpg

pic archive:
https://web.archive.org/web/2017110...82c666960d38dff407b823cf334bca4287c047019.jpg

As you can see, this is not a Vegan food pyramid, as it definitely includes foods of animal origin.

As for ideas (at least from this website), why not try the food and recipe threads? In addition, there are plenty of websites/youtube channels out there that can help you out if you need pointers as a newbie. Good luck!

Last edited: