Vegan after thyroidectomy

AmyⓋKH

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Has anyone had success going vegan after a thyroidectomy? I had my thyroid removed 12 months ago and have since gained about 25 pounds. We have transitioned to vegan for all the reasons but hoping that I benefit from this with weight loss even with no thyroid.

Any tips related to this topic?

Thanks!!

welcome again @AmyⓋKH

I would suggest that trying to stay as "whole food" as you can and try not to fall into the vegan processed food trap. I do so myself, on occasion (like now, holidays) and the weight gain is immediate. When we stick to more whole foods, like lots of potatoes, root vegetables, garlic, onions, lentils, beans, fruit etc then the weight is easy to control.

Emma JC

There are quite a few Vegan Weight Loss Diets. You might try putting yourself on one of those.

I think one of the best is Dr. Fuhrman's. He describes it in detail in Eat To Live

Has anyone had success going vegan after a thyroidectomy? I had my thyroid removed 12 months ago and have since gained about 25 pounds. We have transitioned to vegan for all the reasons but hoping that I benefit from this with weight loss even with no thyroid.

Any tips related to this topic?

Thanks!!

Hi Amy,

Because thryroid disease increases certain other disease risk factors (https://www.todaysdietitian.com/pdf/courses/HarrisThyroidDiet.pdf ), it might be a good idea to plan your nutrition with the help of a Registered Dietitian. Your physician should be able to refer you to a local RD (be sure to request an RD that is willing to work within your vegan eating pattern). Because you are seeking nutrition therapy as part of your thyroid disease, your insurance may cover the cost of your seeing a Registered Dietitian.

Reactions: Lou