Vacancy: moderator

Just thought I would post a few thoughts on my experience over at VB. I've honestly enjoyed modding. I like the investigative side of things - issues such as: is this new person a resurrection of the last troll we banned? or has this person created a new account and used to be that person? And I love banning spammers! What gets difficult is when you get reports of posts that are borderline. Read one way, they might be insulting, but read another, maybe not so bad. Of course the people who report the perceived insults don't like it if you don't agree, and that happens. The best thing about modding, and think it will certainly apply here, is that you usually feel that you are helping to make the whole site better. There were/are some rules on VB that limit what the mods there can/could do. I think that's changing a bit. And I'm sure this forum's administration will have learned a lot of things from the VB experience. So I'm sure it will be good. It is a commitment, and sometimes you just want to slap people, but it's worthwhile, it really is. :)

Just thought I would post a few thoughts on my experience over at VB. I've honestly enjoyed modding. I like the investigative side of things - issues such as: is this new person a resurrection of the last troll we banned? or has this person created a new account and used to be that person? And I love banning spammers! What gets difficult is when you get reports of posts that are borderline. Read one way, they might be insulting, but read another, maybe not so bad. Of course the people who report the perceived insults don't like it if you don't agree, and that happens. The best thing about modding, and think it will certainly apply here, is that you usually feel that you are helping to make the whole site better. There were/are some rules on VB that limit what the mods there can/could do. I think that's changing a bit. And I'm sure this forum's administration will have learned a lot of things from the VB experience. So I'm sure it will be good. It is a commitment, and sometimes you just want to slap people, but it's worthwhile, it really is. :)

I didn't feel like I was really friends with anyone on VB until modding. That's not an insult to anyone, but VB is so huge. Having a smaller group to get to know a bit better was a nice thing.

I think you need a tough skin to do it, which I don't even know yet if I have. I really dislike conflict and confrontation, which sucks, because people get mad at you occasionally as a mod. There is no way to avoid it. For some you will be too strict, for others you will be too lenient, and you will be accused of playing favorites.

Zapping spammers is fun though. The detective part is also fun sometimes. This element made the duck-hunter invasion engaging.

Reactions: KLS52
Banning spammers and trolls before they can even post brings a special sort of smile to your face. :p

i don't care enough to lose my temper anymore, so i would be banned like a Christian at a satanic midnight mass.

Not banned, in that case - used as a blood sacrifice.

Oh, Uno................................................................................................

Not banned, in that case - used as a blood sacrifice.

Oh, Uno................................................................................................
are you saddened by my apathetic stance, or just sad that i'd be sacrificed? hopefully the apathetic stance and happily rejoicing my bloody death..

No, that was a call intended to lure you to the midnight mass. It lost something in the translation to the keyboard.

Just to let you know Uno, I'd never condone letting you be sacrificed at a satanic midnight mass. Now if you go and get yourself bug-squashed by a cross-town bus that's another story, but generally I think you'll live a nice long life so go out there and do good deeds!

Just to let you know Uno, I'd never condone letting you be sacrificed at a satanic midnight mass. Now if you go and get yourself bug-squashed by a cross-town bus that's another story, but generally I think you'll live a nice long life so go out there and do good deeds!
generally. lol.

I just hope whoever becomes mod is not ban-happy or thread-lock happy, except with regard to spammers and obvious non-veg trolls.

I just hope whoever becomes mod is not ban-happy or thread-lock happy, except with regard to spammers and obvious non-veg trolls.

I agree that locking threads is silly.

And I have no problem in going toe to toe with bigots of any stripe rather than banning them. (Although the danger is that that can suck all the air out of a forum.)

But tolerating bigotry, or acting as though it's just another opinion, as valid as any opinion, is not cool in my book, and not something I want to be around.

I didn't remember reading you and your lady were expecting. Congratulations on the little one, Indian.

I am a mod on a pet site, which sounds really stupid seeing here... wow. Spammers and fights about pet ownership, hard stuff, yo. :cool: