Useful Smartphone Apps

There is definitely something similar for Iphones as I've seen musicians tuning up with them at gigs. :)

For UKers that travel by train a lot the official National Rail app is pretty useful for planning routes and finding out about the inevitable delays.

in addition to many previously mentioned, some other must-have apps are:
  • Readability: makes web pages readable with your choice font size and no ads, pics and text only
  • Nag: super easy timer that nags you until you reset or stop. mine goes off every 30 minutes so i'll swig some water!
  • Focus Time: automatic timer using the Pomodoro Technique (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pomodoro_Technique) for long term tasks
  • CheckPlease (Catamount Software): for tipping and bill splitting. tried a bunch and this one's the best.
  • DataMan: real time data usage tracking
  • Awesome Photo Calendar (Kim Jong Seok): syncs photos by date and location, like a photo diary

Twitter has an official twitter app that I installed recently. Seems to work better than the ones I've used before. (This is on Android.)

Today I found an app called DuoLingo, which is for learning languages. It's structured kind of like a game, starting with easier "levels" and working upwards in difficulty. (There's also a website, plus a social and crowd sourcing element.) Seems to get decent reviews.

I could probably benefit by learning Spanish, but I'm going to try it out with German first. My German is super rusty, and I think a refresher could be fun.

Oh yeah, and it's free on all platforms.

Reactions: thefadedone
Today I found an app called DuoLingo, which is for learning languages. It's structured kind of like a game, starting with easier "levels" and working upwards in difficulty. (There's also a website, plus a social and crowd sourcing element.) Seems to get decent reviews.

I could probably benefit by learning Spanish, but I'm going to try it out with German first. My German is super rusty, and I think a refresher could be fun.

That's how I'm practising French, but online. Devon uses the app.

Reactions: RabbitLuvr

My friends are using this to teach themselves and their son different languages. They started with an app for learning sign language right after their son was born and had a lot of success with it and now are moving on to DuoLingo.

Reactions: RabbitLuvr
DejaOffice - Totaly synchronises your phone with MsOutlook and Outlook CRM.

Fidall - Unlimited loyalty/discount cards. Scan the barcode onto your phone (from card/paper/net) most shop scanners can read it back from the phone.

Genius Scan - Turns anything you can take a picture of into a pdf doc.

Talking Tom - Gives hyper active grandchildren an ear to bend other than your own.

Earlier this week, an app called Plant Nanny was free on iTunes. I downloaded it. Supposed to help you drink enough water by turning it into a game.

I always have up on the basic water reminder apps after about three drinks, so I guess I'll see how long I last with this. It was free though so :shrug: