News Unprecedented Ebola outbreak in West Africa

The World Health Organization is being blamed on this. The UN loves to talk about things but when it comes to actions they fail almost all the time.

In the U.S., the spread is being blamed on the hospital for not following protocol. One thing that no one seems to have considered is the virus itself.

With all the people that have been infected so far, it would seem possible that the virus could have had ample opportunity to mutate to a more dangerous strain.

In the U.S., the spread is being blamed on the hospital for not following protocol. One thing that no one seems to have considered is the virus itself.

With all the people that have been infected so far, it would seem possible that the virus could have had ample opportunity to mutate to a more dangerous strain.

It's complete BS that they are throwing the 2 nurses under the bus for "not following protocol" after they cared for a dying, contagious man and then contracted his usually fatal disease. Throwing them to the wolves and under the bus--a bus full of wolves, I guess, mixing my metaphors.

The CDC is calling Ebola a contact precaution virus. Is it still, though? That means mask, gloves, gown in hospital terms. These hazmat suits I see health care workers wearing while caring for Ebola patients are *not* standard issue in US hospitals, and not used for contact precaution patients. Up until a few years ago, masks were not even considered necessary for contact precaution patient care. Just gloves and a gown.

The question of the length of time between Ebola transmission and symptoms occurring is set at 21 days by the CDC, but it can be up to 40 days in some cases. In addition, how long does the virus live on surfaces? Some viruses last a long time.

I am very unpleasantly surprised at the poor reaction by the CDC and the US government to this very real threat. I hope that the US soldiers sent to the hard-hit areas in west Africa are given proper instruction and supplies to keep themselves and others they contact safe.

Reactions: KLS52
So from the CDC, to answer my question:
"Ebola is killed with hospital-grade disinfectants (such as household bleach). Ebola dried on surfaces such as doorknobs and countertops can survive for several hours; however, virus in body fluids (such as blood) can survive up to several days at room temperature."

It's inevitable that it will mutate and spread regardless of whether or not precautions are implemented and adhered to. That's why getting the research done at all costs is stood critical.

I don't know much about viruses, but I would assume that a properly worn has-mat suit would be sufficient to protect the hospital workers. I understand that the suits the nurses were given left areas of skin exposed. If this virus mutates to an air-borne pathogen, it will be more than chocolate that "gets real." :p

There are certainly precautions that can been taken, but making sure that happens is impossible to the point that we might as well assume that it won't.

The plague spread throughout most of the world when travel between continents was an undertaking of several months, and done only by a select few. Now we can be anywhere in the world in a matter of hours, and many people do.

Even with a level of control only seen in conspiracy theory inspired movies, attempts to control the spread would ultimately fail, whether because of inadequate safeguards or the unwillingness of people to adhere to those safeguards.

The development of effective treatment is the best defense we can hope for in a worst case scenario.

Last edited:
I certainly agree 100% containment is next to impossible, but I think the various authoities could have done better. It doesn't take a doctor to figure out that a hasmat suit with holes is almost useless.

Its that same "it can't happen here" arrogance that we have seen before. The last time that type of blatant arrogance reared its ugly head was the Bush administration and Iraq.

QUOTE="yakherder, post: 204808, member: 86"]There are certainly precautions that can been taken, but making sure that happens is impossible to the point that we might as well assume that it won't.

The plague spread throughout most of the world when travel between continents was an undertaking of several months, and done only by a select few. Now we can be anywhere in the world in a matter of hours, and many people do.

Even with a level of control only seen in conspiracy theory inspired movies, attempts to control the spread would ultimately fail, whether because of inadequate safeguards or the unwillingness of people to adhered to those safeguards.

The development of effective treatment is the best defense we can hope for in a worst case scenario.[/QUOTE]

I am very unpleasantly surprised at the poor reaction by the CDC and the US government to this very real threat.
After watching a government cause war after war with some of the worst animal rights policies the world has ever known among other things, some of us should be far more realistic about our government's character. No surprises here.

After watching a government cause war after war with some of the worst animal rights policies the world has ever known among other things, some of us should be far more realistic about our government's character. No surprises here.

Passing the buck and covering your ars are commonplace tactics used by a wide variety of people, not just gov't officials.

The Texas hospital has taken responsibility for its mistakes in caring for the patient with ebola and is not blaming the nurses, as I had thought was the case.

Florida is presently buying full body protective suits for the hospital workers, has a 16 member trained team to respond to an ebola case, and our senior senator is calling for passenger screening for fever in flights from affected areas in Florida's airports.