Types of vegetarian cheese

All cheese is considered vegetarian (since a vegetarian diet does consist of dairy products) but if you're looking for vegan cheeses, there are some good recipes for making your own "nut cheeses." Just google "nut cheese" recipe and you should find something! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I like daiya. It has the same texture and close to the same taste I think. Doesn't smell all that great but who cares if it tastes good. I've tried a brand called veggie cheese and it doesn't melt and tastes like cardboard.

Haley is correct, googling vegan cheeses will bring you a whole variety of options.

We have been whole food plant based for over 8 months now and I truly thought that cheese would be the most challenging to give up. When I cooked pasta (at least 2 times a week) the parmesan was the main component of the dish. lol We also ate aged cheddar cheese on a regular basis and when we had a bean dish or potatoes etc we had shredded cheese on top.

I am happy to report that it hasn't been difficult at all. For our pasta I make a cashew based shaky cheeze that I learned from Anja in Australia. Basically raw or roasted cashews with garlic powder, onion powder and nutritional yeast, in a bullet blender for a few seconds until the cashews are powdered (not too long or you'll get cashew butter). This sprinkled on pasta or potatoes is delicious. If I haven't take the time to make this then we just sprinkle the nutritional yeast by itself as it gives almost everything a cheesy flavour.

As for the cheddar and other cheeses, we just don't even think about and add enough other tasty ingredients that we don't miss it. Because we don't eat foods with added oils (most crackers) it is easy not miss the cheese itself.

We do not buy the vegan cheeses because of the ingredients and the high fat content. Pizzas are still delicious without cheese.

One last thing. There is another recipe that we made that is good, we just don't eat it often. It is a stretchy cheese and it smells exactly like the cheese we used to buy for fondues.
https://cookingwithplants.com/recipe/stretchy-melted-vegan-cheese/

All the best with your journey! Emma JC

All cheese is considered vegetarian (since a vegetarian diet does consist of dairy products) but if you're looking for vegan cheeses, there are some good recipes for making your own "nut cheeses." Just google "nut cheese" recipe and you should find something! :)
Thanks for sharing such a great information..Its really nice and informative..