Tips-Cooking for a Vegan

Bonus points for the vocabulary word.

some vegans have an issue with the word flexitarian because it is so vague. But its just another word based on the intent of a person. In this case, the intent is to eat mostly plants.

A flexitarian diet is becoming very popular in the UK. Here is BBC's GF definition which isn't vague at all :

Following a flexitarian diet highlights an increased intake of plant-based meals without completely eliminating meat

Flexitarian has become the new marketing trend here in Canada, supermarket boxes/packets having the word flexitarian on them. Of course they're gonna charge twice the price than their 100% beef, just for adding carrots, corn, kale, peas. Healthy people already follow a balanced clean diet.

21246867_front_a06.png

These mouth-watering lean beef burgers are packed with carrots, corn, kale, peas and a blend of herbs and spices – a great way to beef up a flexitarian diet!

• Disagree
Reactions: silva
A flexitarian diet is becoming very popular in the UK. Here is BBC's GF definition which isn't vague at all :

Following a flexitarian diet highlights an increased intake of plant-based meals without completely eliminating meat

An "increased intake of plant-based meals" - is that once a week or 20 times a week. a 2% increase or a 200% increase? Occasionally buying a bottle of plant milk or never buying a bottle of cow's milk.

Although I really don't have an issue with the vagueness. Its sort of like how I feel about self-labeling vegan. If you want to call yourself flexitarian that is fine with me. Again in my mind its more about intent.

I still like the haiku. "Mostly plants" seems like a good description.

Flexitarian has become the new marketing trend here in Canada, supermarket boxes/packets having the word flexitarian on them. Of course they're gonna charge twice the price than their 100% beef, just for adding carrots, corn, kale, peas. Healthy people already follow a balanced clean diet.

21246867_front_a06.png
To me that's blatantly shameful! The burger itself is mixed with vegetables? I don't anyone who would want that!
Even being veg I like a distinction between a Beyond Burger and a veggie burger!
My co worker is exactly what I'd refer to as a flexitarian, as she only occasionally eats meat, mostly fish when she does. She doesn't use the label, just says mostly plant based. I admit, when I hear the term flexitarian I'm distrustful. Like that burger, it's more for show. :shrug:

An "increased intake of plant-based meals" - is that once a week or 20 times a week. a 2% increase or a 200% increase? Occasionally buying a bottle of plant milk or never buying a bottle of cow's milk.

Although I really don't have an issue with the vagueness. Its sort of like how I feel about self-labeling vegan. If you want to call yourself flexitarian that is fine with me. Again in my mind its more about intent.

I still like the haiku. "Mostly plants" seems like a good description.

I don't think that it really matters as long as people are consuming more and more pb'd products.

• Agree
Reactions: Lou