Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Convince them SOMEHOW

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pola

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hello I’m Pola I’m from Poland and I’m 14 years old.I educated myself on veganism and for a year now I’m a vegan who eats fish because they wouldn’t let me go fully vegan.My parents started to hate me , because they think that you need dairy to grow.I have type 1 diabetes for three years now and my doctor says that I shouldn’t be vegan but she didn’t give me the reason why so....Parents complain A LOT and say that I have to consume dairy and all and can be a vegetarian,but I can’t eat it if I know what it did to the animals.They say that if I don’t do it I have to quit dance.My Grany just called me that she worries about my health and that I should stop my “way” of eating for 3 months.I CANT.Please help me ,I am desperate.Sorry that my writing skills are not the best but my lead language is polish so..JUST HELP.

Hey there Pola, i'm sorry that you're going through this. I can't imagine what your family is going through but I have some general tips that might help:
-If you're parents are threatening to cut off something really important to you like dance, sit down and tell them that you going vegan is really important to you. Explain how you'll pull your own weight in the kitchen as well so its not too hard for them to cook for you.
-Start making easy recipes for yourself and make them for your family as well, if it tastes good it might help the family be a bit more accepting
-Ask your folks if they're willing to watch a documentary or two to understand why you want to go vegan
-Remember, you're 14, no one rational will judge you if you have no source of income and literally have to consume animal products because you're dependent on your parents, just work towards being able to afford your own food needs as best you can
-You can still engage in vegan practices by not buying fur, animal tested objects, etc... Try your best until you can transition to a fully vegan lifestyle

I'm proud of you for choosing this lifestyle at your age, reach out here whenever you need to. You're not alone

Reactions: S_t_e_v_e
Hey there Pola, i'm sorry that you're going through this. I can't imagine what your family is going through but I have some general tips that might help:
-If you're parents are threatening to cut off something really important to you like dance, sit down and tell them that you going vegan is really important to you. Explain how you'll pull your own weight in the kitchen as well so its not too hard for them to cook for you.
-Start making easy recipes for yourself and make them for your family as well, if it tastes good it might help the family be a bit more accepting
-Ask your folks if they're willing to watch a documentary or two to understand why you want to go vegan
-Remember, you're 14, no one rational will judge you if you have no source of income and literally have to consume animal products because you're dependent on your parents, just work towards being able to afford your own food needs as best you can
-You can still engage in vegan practices by not buying fur, animal tested objects, etc... Try your best until you can transition to a fully vegan lifestyle

I'm proud of you for choosing this lifestyle at your age, reach out here whenever you need to. You're not alone

Thank you that you took time to write this reply.I cook for my parents ,don’t buy and not Cruelty-Free products and all,educated some of my friends.But my parents just don’t want to watch documentaries and don’t listen when I talk about the diary industry and tell them why we don’t need to eat animal products.I feel like I am vegan at my heart.One last question to you maybe I can become vegetarian (but not everyday) as they let me and convince them to become fully vegan at 2019, but I just have so much energy at this lifestyle and every time I would eat diary I would picture a baby cow screaming in my head.What do you think?

Hello Pola
I can feel so relate to your story, growing up I was always afraid to become vegan cuz I knew my parents wont support me.
I have an idea, that maybe it could help.
I was thinking, what if you gather a lot of information ( like a portfolio) about the vegan people who reversed diabetes by having a plant base diet, you can also check on my amzing doctors online talking about how a plant base diet is the best diet.
I don't know what kind of parents you have, but if anyone came to someone and show them how passionate they are about it, it you can show them that they have nothing to worry about and how committed you are to your decision of being vegan, maybe that way you will convince them . I wish you good luck!! :) and remember fight for what is right for you and what you want, never wait for other to understand you, cuz nobody will. And you don't need it, Be who you are.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jinendra Singh
Hello Pola
I can feel so relate to your story, growing up I was always afraid to become vegan cuz I knew my parents wont support me.
I have an idea, that maybe it could help.
I was thinking, what if you gather a lot of information ( like a portfolio) about the vegan people who reversed diabetes by having a plant base diet, you can also check on my amzing doctors online talking about how a plant base diet is the best diet.
I don't know what kind of parents you have, but if anyone came to someone and show them how passionate they are about it, it you can show them that they have nothing to worry about and how committed you are to your decision of being vegan, maybe that way you will convince them . I wish you good luck!! :) and remember fight for what is right for you and what you want, never wait for other to understand you, cuz nobody will. And you don't need it, Be who you are.
yes right; gather maximum information and share with your parents so that they can feel you

This is tough. Since you are a minor you really are under the care and protection of your family until you become a legal adult and can move out and support yourself and make your own decisions.

I know when you're young that time seems to just stand still and creep along, but remember that you'll be an adult soon enough and at that point can do what you feel is right.

I think the less you discuss your passions about veganism with your family, the more they'll stop fussing over you. My experience is when you make something not be an issue anymore, others fall in and won't make it an issue, either.

I`m sorry that you parents doen`t support you. But your doctor has to give you sound arguments why you shouldn`t be vegan. And I agree with previous comments, that you need to gather more information about veganisn and diabetes and to show these facts to your family. Good luck!

Goodluck. It's a good idea to gather information online about how healthy a plant based diet is. My parents weren't supportive when I once tried to go vegetarian as a teenager, or later when I went vegan first in my twenties then my thirties. Now my dad takes me to vegan camp every year so he's started to accept my diet.

Just do your best and with luck when your parents realise you don't really need meat or dairy they will let you go vegan.

Hi,
I would recommend that you ask your doctor why they say that you shouldn’t go vegan. Also, think about the doctor’s age. Not meaning to offend anyone, but sometimes older generation people don’t get the whole vegan thing as well as some younger generation people do. Also, speak to a different doctor (perhaps, one that is more highly qualified) and ask for their opinion on this.
I’m afraid I don’t know too much about Diabetes, but some of the vegan foods that you might find in health food shops might also be suitable for diabetics, ask the staff at the health food shop/s about this.
As for your parents, maybe talk to them about veganism more. Explain that you need calcium, but this doesn’t necessarily have to come from dairy. It can come from oranges, kale and calcium-fortified dairy-free alternatives. Also, if they are worried about your health, try telling them all about athletes and bodybuilders who are vegan. Try telling that, while veganism may not work for some, it can work for others. Try asking them kindly to read a book about veganism. I would suggest the Veganuary book “How to go vegan” (look it up on Amazon).
Be kind when talking to your parents and the doctor/s about this, even if you feel angry/stressed/upset. Being kind can make others happier, and it could help your cause. It could also make you happier in the future...