TV & Film The "Up" Series Documentary.

Joe

Forum Legend
Reaction score
The Public Broadcasting System (PBS TV) is showing "56 Up" currently, the latest installment in the documentary series that started in 1964 with "7 Up," chronicling the lives of 14 British school children, age 7, and then revisiting them every seven years. This is the first segment of the documentary series I have seen--having heard about it for years.

It seems remarkable to me that all of the original participants are alive some 50 years later. As an American who thinks of Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Gram Parsons, etc., it seems remarkable that none of the original participants has died of drink or drugs.

I also found very strange the story of Tony the cabdriver, who picked up Buzz Aldrin (the astronaut). Another cabbie drove up and thrust a piece of paper into his hand and asked for his autograph. Tony turned to Aldrin and politely asked for his autograph. "No, no, no!" said the other cabbie. He wanted Tony's autograph, not Aldrin's. (!) It is just remarkable to me that these documentary participants could have such fame in Britain and still lead fairly normal lives.

I'd be interested in your thoughts on this series. Looks like I'm going to rent the series through Netflix.

Last edited: