Health Issues "The Perks of Herpes"

Spang

Foot Fetisher
Reaction score
This is a great story about a woman's experience with herpes. Planned Parenthood suggests anyone who is sexually active read this. I suggest everyone read this.

[...]

That’s when I realized I was picking the wrong men.

Before herpes, I didn’t think about my body much. But the virus had jolted me into self-awareness. I ate better. I exercised more. I felt more fragile and powerful and worthy of careful handling than ever. Herpes, oddly, did not turn me into damaged goods. Instead, it became a filter for expendable men in my life.

And then one day at the office I met him, a tall, dark-haired, sunkissed drink of coworker water. It was an instant workplace romance.

Thanks to herpes, I took things slow, until the temptation to make things NSFW grew too strong.

[...]

Read the entire story here.

I have it too, I got it from an ex-partner who cheated on me. I never saw anything until I got the infection and he admitted what happened. He was not a nice guy. Thankfully, I only had that one breakout and since three years have passed.

But I can totally relate to the writer of this article, it really is a filter and it turns down all men who just want me for a night. I tell people usually on the first or second date, no surprises for them there. Only people with serious interest in me remain, and right now I am dating one really nice guy who I probably wouldn't have noticed without it :)

What I hate is the recent internet culture of saying ''herpy derpy'' or something to show something is stupid. It hurts my feelings, I trusted my ex and didn't ask for this nor did I see anything on him. It's not like I ignored something obviously dangerous.

What I hate is the recent internet culture of saying ''herpy derpy'' or something to show something is stupid. It hurts my feelings, I trusted my ex and didn't ask for this nor did I see anything on him. It's not like I ignored something obviously dangerous.

It doesn't have anything to do with herpes.

Interestingly, from what I have read recently it seems like the majority of us have herpes in one form or another... and even childhood warts are caused by the herpes virus even in those who are not yet sexually active. It's just another 'thing' we humans deal with and nothing to be ashamed or ambarrassed about.

Reactions: Freesia
Interestingly, from what I have read recently it seems like the majority of us have herpes in one form or another... and even childhood warts are caused by the herpes virus even in those who are not yet sexually active. It's just another 'thing' we humans deal with and nothing to be ashamed or ambarrassed about.

Yes 70% of humans have it in some form, it's just taboo to have type 2 (genital herpes) while it's caused by the same thing as cold sores. Gential herpes can also be derived from oral sex for that reason, so you might never know how you got it.

Since I know that, I feel less angry. Still, I feel compelled to tell people I date. So far, most have reacted very friendly :)

I have it too, I got it from an ex-partner who cheated on me. I never saw anything until I got the infection and he admitted what happened. He was not a nice guy. Thankfully, I only had that one breakout and since three years have passed.

But I can totally relate to the writer of this article, it really is a filter and it turns down all men who just want me for a night. I tell people usually on the first or second date, no surprises for them there. Only people with serious interest in me remain, and right now I am dating one really nice guy who I probably wouldn't have noticed without it :)

I'm sorry your ex was a douchebag, and I'm glad you seem to be coping well :)

Envy is right; 'herp' in Internet usage has nothing to do with herpes. 'derp' comes from the movie baseketball, which was combined with 'herp' as an evolution of 'hurr durr', which is used as a definition of something somewhat idiotic. 'hurr durr' could be considered ableist, as a lot of people believe it comes from sounds made by people with certain types of disability (this is unclear, and I believe untrue), but it definitely isn't anything to do with herpes or the people who have it :)

That’s when I realized I was picking the wrong men.

After reading the rest of TFA, I don't know whether to find this statement sad or funny. Um... better late than never I guess?

Yes 70% of humans have it in some form, it's just taboo to have type 2 (genital herpes) while it's caused by the same thing as cold sores. Gential herpes can also be derived from oral sex for that reason, so you might never know how you got it.

Since I know that, I feel less angry. Still, I feel compelled to tell people I date. So far, most have reacted very friendly :)

Pretty sure it can also be Type 1. I don't know what the difference is but apparently one of them is less likely to recur (forget which).

After reading the rest of TFA, I don't know whether to find this statement sad or funny. Um... better late than never I guess?

Pretty sure it can also be Type 1. I don't know what the difference is but apparently one of them is less likely to recur (forget which).

I have no idea which one is ''less likely to recur'' all I can say is that I haven't seen or felt any outbreaks since 3,5 years ago when I had my first. Taking care of your health helps, it only breaks out when your immune system is weak.

Still, wheter the infection is only in your mouth or genitals doesn't matter when having sex during an outbreak, you can get genital herpes from oral sex with someone with cold sores in his/her mouth. So people who are ''happy not to have herpes' but have cold sores should also be careful. It's most likely I got it from a cold sore my ex had, and a LOT of people have cold sores.

Wikipedia says type 1 (which is what most cold sores are) is less likely to recur. So I guess if you got it from that, that's probably why it hasn't done.

Wikipedia says type 1 (which is what most cold sores are) is less likely to recur. So I guess if you got it from that, that's probably why it hasn't done.

It could be that the virus is less agressive because of that then :) Wow, I almost feel lucky :p

Well I guess I am then. It could've been much worse, and when I inform potential sexual partners about the details of what it entails and when my last outbreak was, they usally calm down about it :)

Still thank God that he didn't give me something worse!

I am not going to post it again. Not unless someone wants me to. I just thought it would be nice to read an article on the term and its origins.