The MorningStar Controversy

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I hadn't realized there was one till this morning and perusing Reddit. Turns out there are several and it's been going on for a while. I intend to do a deeper dive into this later and report back. In the meantime I thought I'd give the community to respond.

I'm not up on what the controversies are, as I don't typically get MorningStar products because they haven't been vegan. I do remember reading that they were now making some vegan items, but I think I've tried only a couple, and I wasn't too impressed.

I hadn't realized there was one till this morning and perusing Reddit. Turns out there are several and it's been going on for a while. I intend to do a deeper dive into this later and report back. In the meantime I thought I'd give the community to respond.
Are you sure they aren't talking about the investment firm Morningstar, and NOT the food company? 🤔

I did hear they're bringing back the BBQ Riblets

Sorry. it took me longer to get back here.

there are quiet a few controversies floating around about Morning Star.
I only just started recently getting some of their products. I sometimes buy their breakfast sausage and sometimes their patties.

But according to one careful ingredient reader the "veggie burgers" contain "egg and milk" ingredients.
I had been assuming they were vegan.

Their bacon strips say "100 % Vegetarian" and they also contain "egg and milk" ingredients.

In 2019, MorningStar Farms, a subsidiary of Kellogg, made a promise to the public that its products would be fully vegan by 2021. It launched a big media campaign and received a ton of press including feature articles by VegNews, PETA and Vegconomist.

Fast forward to 2024, Morningstar Farms now labels itself and its products “plant-based” while still using eggs and dairy in most of them.

in 2022, Morning star beat a proposed class suit alleging it deceptively markets “veggie” products, as a federal court in California said the word describes meat substitutes rather than implying the fare contains mostly vegetables.

At least one of the products tested positive for GMOs.

I just heard about all this. And some of this is "old news". So maybe some of you have heard some new good news?

I only just started recently getting some of their products. I sometimes buy their breakfast sausage and sometimes their patties.

But according to one careful ingredient reader the "veggie burgers" contain "egg and milk" ingredients.

Their bacon strips say "100 % Vegetarian" and they also contain "egg and milk" ingredients.

In 2019, MorningStar Farms, a subsidiary of Kellogg, made a promise to the public that its products would be fully vegan by 2021. It launched a big media campaign and received a ton of press including feature articles by VegNews, PETA and Vegconomist.

Fast forward to 2024, Morningstar Farms now labels itself and its products “plant-based” while still using eggs and dairy in most of them.

in 2022, Morning star beat a proposed class suit alleging it deceptively markets “veggie” products, as a federal court in California said the word describes meat substitutes rather than implying the fare contains mostly vegetables.

I just heard about all this. And some of this is "old news". So maybe some of you have heard some new good news?
While I did hear that Morningstar was going to increase their vegan offerings, I didn't really pay too much attention. I read labels :shrug:. If it doesn't say vegan I don't assume!
Morningstar has had mainly vegetarian things, like the bac'n and classic burgers, and some vegan things like their grill'n burgers, chik'n nuggets and patties, and riblets.
100% vegetarian includes the use of egg and dairy. I don't understand the controversy.
How is 'veggie' deceptive?

And why pick on Morningstar? Boca and Quorn have vegetarian products

I was at the store today and saw a vegan product labeled "chicken". Don't remember what it was, but I truly despised the fact it was spelled out like that. I believe it said either vegan or plant based.

Reactions: Lou

I never trust "plant-based" unless it says 100%, and then I still read the label. :D Yep, now I remember their big splash about offering more vegan items. I can't believe it was several years ago, though. Time flies! At least Boca uses the vegan label for its chik'n patties. I haven't had those in a while. Boca is my favorite vegan chik'n patty.

Reactions: Lou