Nutrition & Diet The Minimalist Baker's Blog-No Longer Vegan

shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
I wasn't aware of the fact (@Danielle's post) that Dana who is the blogger on The Minimalist Baker is now an omni due to health reasons. She has
received a lot of backlash from vegans as her blog and books are very popular with the latter.

This makes me wonder whether a vegan diet may not be for everyone as far as health issues are concerned. Nobody can say what another person feels within their body or mind.
Can a former vegan blog still exist if it starts to include meat/dairy recipes ? I have not found any information on her blog stating that she is going to introduce meat recipes in the near future. I believe that she will lose a lot of followers despite her claims of bad health being legitimate.

• Sad
Reactions: KLS52
I couldn't care less what she does, but I am sick of people promoting veganism, then going against based on what research finds not to be true.
If you have food sensitivities it certainly does make it harder to be vegan because you have a more limited diet, when animal products don't bother you and would add variety and simplify your life. What they don't mean is that you're going back to animal products for health reasons--just your own preference
I would have had a more favorable view if she would have just come out and be open it rather than stating "B12 and iron" and digestive problems.

I so wish I could find that youtuber video I had posted here once. It was from a physician who specialized in nutrition breaking down a response from a couple who had been vegan, but suffered from ongoing digestive issues and went back to meat.
It was on a thread started on a similar topic to this, but I can't locate it. I believe the Dr was Australian, ,maybe British

We don't know the truth behind her decision to quit veganism. It's possible that she is merely claiming health reasons, because health reasons are the only reasons that might be acceptable to her vegan subscribers. Other reasons (relationship pressures, taste dissatisfaction, etc.), would be met with greater anger. I'm 100% speculating, though.

• Agree
Reactions: Mischief
We don't know the truth behind her decision to quit veganism. It's possible that she is merely claiming health reasons, because health reasons are the only reasons that might be acceptable to her vegan subscribers. Other reasons (relationship pressures, taste dissatisfaction, etc.), would be met with greater anger. I'm 100% speculating, though.

I assume that what she is stating is true and was just wondering about the future of her blog. Will the vegans stand by her or will they shun her?

I never liked her stuff anyway
As I said, what people do is what they do. I do get upset when people make a name for themselves advocating veganism then come out against it. If a person was truly sorry but felt they had no choice for her specific problem but to consume some animal products, why would they keep their blog but add animal foods for everyone else? She's not sorry she's eating meat-she's pushing it for others, or else she'd continue her blog with vegan recipes.

I knew she'd gone omni and unfollowed her on Insta, because I don't want to see meat in my feed. I'd still use her vegan recipes from her blog and as long as there's a vegan tag for filtering, I'll go to any blog for recipes, tips or ideas.

Unless she has something seriously wrong with her that she wasn't comfortable disclosing, I call shenanigans. I think she got lazy and slipped in a 'backyard' egg or two and remembered how much she liked them. Then started making excuses for more rather than owning that she wanted omni food.

Using digestive reasons and nutrient deficiencies as an excuse makes me raise an eyebrow. I take a Deva mini multi and vegan gummies for D3 and B12. Most days I don't need to take them to meet my RDA's, and I could tell you the foods I can digest healthfully far faster than listing the ones I can't.

I will concede that if she developed an intolerance for galacto-oligosaccharides (legumes) while not eating gluten or soy then meeting her daily RDA's would be harder. It would require research, effort and dedication. That said, a tablespoon of Nutrex Hawaii spirulina powder has 9mg of iron and 6g of protein. A cup of oyster mushrooms has 28g of protein, which I know because they're the only mushroom I can eat. Bob's nutritional yeast is GF and 15g(1/4c) provides 730% of B12, 1mg of iron and 8g of protein. I mean, come on: russet potatoes, cooked spinach, hemp seeds, quinoa, blackstrap molasses, black rice, and oats are all iron and/or protein rich, and that's off the top of my head! Beyond that... all the other foods add up as well... a freakin kiwi has a gram of protein with a wee bit of iron!

It's all a question of how badly one wants to be vegan.

Ahem, sorry for the rant, but I must say I do feel better having let that out :laughing:

Reactions: Mischief
I thought I read somewhere that she went omni because she was pregnant. but I could be misremembering it.

I don't feel there is any reason to shun her. Lots of plant-based diet books include some non-vegan dishes. Not positive but doesn't the Forks Over Knives Cookbook include some chicken? And I'm pretty sure Dr. Fuhrmans Eat To Live Cookbook includes some non-vegan dishes too. I don't have either books here with me so feel free to correct me if you have those books.

I know that some vegans believe that you can't be really vegan unless you are 100% vegan. But IMHO no one living in the modern world can be 100% vegan. Eating meat like once a month might make you like 98% vegan. So really. Why quibble about a percent or two?

But I agree with the sentiment here with the terminology not being specific enough. To me, veganism is more about intent. So if you want to be vegan, and are really trying - poof you are vegan. However, I think the intent is not to be healthier or save the planet. For me, it's all about the animals. The other stuff is just extras.

• Agree
Reactions: shyvas
Unless she has something seriously wrong with her that she wasn't comfortable disclosing, I call shenanigans. I think she got lazy and slipped in a 'backyard' egg or two and remembered how much she liked them. Then started making excuses for more rather than owning that she wanted omni food.

Using digestive reasons and nutrient deficiencies as an excuse makes me raise an eyebrow. I take a Deva mini multi and vegan gummies for D3 and B12. Most days I don't need to take them to meet my RDA's, and I could tell you the foods I can digest healthfully far faster than listing the ones I can't.
:laughing:

I understand and respect her not wishing to disclose health issues over the internet. Some nutritional deficiencies can lead to serious and irreversible conditions. The body is complex and nobody can judge how a person feels.

I thought I read somewhere that she went omni because she was pregnant. but I could be misremembering it.

I don't feel there is any reason to shun her. Lots of plant-based diet books include some non-vegan dishes.

I find that it's actually disheartening to read some of the comments made by her followers.

Her blog is no longer plant based but flexitarian which will obviously turn off many vegans. Perhaps her blog is just a relection of life;
things change and one has to adapt in a positive manner.

Dana Schutz.jpg

Reactions: Lou