The Grilling/BBQ Thread

Amy SF

Dweller in nature
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
Since Memorial Day in the US is the unofficial start to the summer season and it's coming up on Monday, everyone is talking about such summer activities as grilling and outdoor parties. So I was wondering:

Who here is going a-grillin' this summer? :)
hungry-gif.2432

Here's something to get you started: http://www.kitchendaily.com/read/ve...00009&icid=acm50_memorialdaymodulelink3_main5

Ignore the recipes at the bottom of the page. It's ridiculous, I know, but they stuck some beef/omni recipes at the bottom of an article reminding readers that not everyone will be eating beef/omni food at their next BBQ. :rolleyes: Start the slideshow at the top of the page, and the description for each menu item includes a link to the recipe for that item.

I actually find Memorial Day to be pretty somber. I'm going to go to a silent run on Monday to commemorate war dead.

I found this article and I didn't want to start a new thread. so I'm breathing life into an old one.

The article itself I found both uplifting and disappointing.

Just the articles existence is uplifting. Wow. That is great that people should be concerned about their vegan guests.

The disappointment came from the article itself. Nothing about veganizing the potato and macaroni salad with egg-free mayonnaise. Nothing about making the baked beans vegetarian. Or providing a vegan or veganized dip for the chips. vegan salad dressing are easy enough to figure out but often overlooked.

Maybe Its too much to ask for some homemade alternatives but certainly vegetable Kabobs should be on the list.

All the suggestions were about products. Highly processed alternatives meats. They did put the Field Roast Stadium Frankfurters on their list. I just recently tried them and thought they were good, too. And now I want to try the steak and drumsticks - if I can find them.

But, Yeah. when I attend a BBQ I have always brought my own stuff. It would be so cool if the host made some accomadations for vegans. Even if its is just throwing in a package of Beyond Meat Patties into their shopping cart.

Reactions: Amy SF
I think more and more barbecue events are taking vegetarian and vegan options into consideration. Although, that depends on the organizers of course.

The last outdoor BBQ event I went to had veggie burgers and dogs available. They had reserved a small part of the grill to cook the veggie options, but in my observation there was lots of cross contamination potential. I reluctantly had a veggie burger anyways, as I didn't want to be one of those vegans that are never happy or ungrateful for their efforts to accommodate. The worst case scenario was the spatula that handled meat touched my veggie burger. Not the end of the world. I'm careful in picking my battles as a vegan.

As for grilling...I love BBQ season in my backyard. Often I use a combination of smoke and grill. I just did some Trumpet Mushrooms in my smoker yesterday. They were amazing grilled on kebabs. I have been serving my BBQ main dish with cold salads lately, as the temps here are in the high 30's C. Homemade Dijon red potato salad, fennel coleslaw, assorted pickles, with some sliced watermelon on the side.

Reactions: Amy SF and Lou
At the job I worked between 1999 and 2008, the owners of the office building I worked in had a tenant appreciation day every summer, for everyone who worked in the building. They’d clear out half the rooftop parking and grill burgers for us, with tables of salads, sides, condiments, etc, and we could either eat there or take our food back to our desks. The first time I went to get my lunch, I expected to have maybe a little green salad and potato chips, but they surprised me by offering a veggieburger. I think it was Morningstar Farms, which is often the default brand for anyone who doesn’t want to take the time to research veggieburgers, but I was grateful anyway. I could have a “real meal” just like everyone else. It might have been highly processed and so forth, but they made the effort and that’s what counts. I made sure the owners knew how thankful I was, and they continued to offer it every year I worked there.

Reactions: Veganite
When my friend's have a BBQ get together I always bring my own burger or the Beyond brat. Kevin cooks mine first so there is no cross contamination. They always get the vegetarian Bush's beans and nobody can tell the difference. The only other cook outs I might attend would be with family and my sister will be very accommodating.

We tried to have a BBQ the other day to celebrate the longest day and it just would not light. Usually they're very successful but all we got was smoke and nothing more.

We tried to have a BBQ the other day to celebrate the longest day and it just would not light. Usually they're very successful but all we got was smoke and nothing more.
do you know the coffee can trick?
oh, do they still make coffee cans?

Trust me, if you like charcoal barbecuing you have to invest in a chimney starter. They are cheap and will literally last forever. It will take all the hassle out of lighting the coals. This method also doesn't use any liquid starter fluids. All you need is a little newspaper and you are in business. This method of lighting coals has never failed me even once. Unless you have super damp or wet charcoal, this should work every time.

1625056054134.png

Reactions: Chryssie and Amy SF
Trust me, if you like charcoal barbecuing you have to invest in a chimney starter. They are cheap and will literally last forever. It will take all the hassle out of lighting the coals. This method also doesn't use any liquid starter fluids. All you need is a little newspaper and you are in business. This method of lighting coals has never failed me even once. Unless you have super damp or wet charcoal, this should work every time.

View attachment 24879

OH. That is the coffee can trick! with a fancy high Falutin' coffee can.

• Haha
Reactions: Amy SF
Yes I know that trick though I myself never grill. A friend showed us years ago. She didn't have a fancy thingy just a metal can like thing.

We would use a coffee can. we would punch holes in it around the bottom with one of those things you used to find on the opposite side a bottle top remover. (what are Those called?)
But I remember removing it from the BBQ was a little tricky and dangerous. So this new fangled tool with the handle looks to be a great impovement.

I threw away mine when I got a gas hibachi.