US The government shutdown

Food stamps for 38 million low-income Americans would face severe reductions and more than $140 billion in tax refunds are at risk of being frozen or delayed if the government shutdown stretches into February, widespread disruptions that threaten to hurt the economy.

The Trump administration, which had not anticipated a long-term shutdown, recognized only this week the breadth of the potential impact, several senior administration officials said. The officials said they were focused now on understanding the scope of the consequences and determining whether there is anything they can do to intervene.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amph...b58616-0fa3-11e9-8938-5898adc28fa2_story.html

Trump Raises Possibility of Declaring National Emergency at Border

He wants to declare a national emergency. He'll try anything to extract a concession. The Democrats can't cave on this.

The Trumptards blaming the Dems seem to have conveniently forgotten that the Reps were in complete control of the Federal Government for the first 2 years of Trump's presidency - and they didn't give him a wall.

I agree - they can't cave. Otherwise, he'll hold the whole country hostage again every time he isn't given what he wants.

He apparently wants everyone to call it a "strike" rather than a "shutdown". I presume that's so he can claim it's the workers' fault, that they don't want to work."

The whole government shutdown concept is a bit difficult to understand for someone not intimately familiar with U.S. politics. I don't think I know of any other country that shuts down its government in this manner. How can the government not pay its employees? That's a 3rd world problem, and happens because the government runs out of money. It's the kind of thing that leads to bribes and corruption.

In Europe, if a government can't get enough support for its budget, they modify the budget until they get the support, or they resign.

The whole government shutdown concept is a bit difficult to understand for someone not intimately familiar with U.S. politics. I don't think I know of any other country that shuts down its government in this manner. How can the government not pay its employees? That's a 3rd world problem, and happens because the government runs out of money. It's the kind of thing that leads to bribes and corruption.

In Europe, if a government can't get enough support for its budget, they modify the budget until they get the support, or they resign.
Well, that would be the sensible way to proceed. There are many ways in which a parliamentary system is much superior to the one we have here.

For another example, our system is not conducive to more than two parties.

We don't have the same system in Europe so our governments cannot shut down.

This is not the first time that there has been a shutdown in the US.
I'm not sure whether I have fully understood if it is the courts that can over rule Trump's decision, who has stated it is because the country is in an emergency situation.

Government shutdowns in the United States - Wikipedia

We don't have the same system in Europe so our governments cannot shut down.

This is not the first time that there has been a shutdown in the US.
I'm not sure whether I have fully understood if it is the courts that can over rule Trump's decision, who has stated it is because the country is in an emergency situation.

Government shutdowns in the United States - Wikipedia

This current shut down is in fact the third one in 2018.

The shutdown is not a result of trump declaring a national emergency. It s a result of Congress and the president not being able to agree on a budget, even though both houses of Congress having been Republican controlled until January 3, at which point the Democrats started holding a majority in the House (the Senate is still Republican controlled).

Where the talk of national emergency comes in is that trump is threatening to declare one so that he can take funds from the military and unilaterally use them to build his wall. Whether that would be legal, I don't know. To the best of my knowledge, no president has ever tried anything like that. I'm sure the Supreme Court would ultimately have to decide.

More GOP members of Congress are supporting the idea if trump declaring a national emergency, and of course Miller and Bannon are pushing it strongly: GOP in the dark as Trump weighs emergency declaration
Scary times, folks.
Good lord, this "emergency" is completely manufactured and smacks of the actions the GOP took Obama to task for. Just because he says it, does not make it true. Talk about fake news and a double standard!

There really needs to be more attempt to reach across and make an agreement. Can Trump agree to spend $1 billion worth of wall for now, or $2 billion, kick the decision on the rest into 2021, and in return get support from enough other politicians (including democrats) to make it pass.

I think it's unhelpful for the democrats to call the wall "immoral". A country has a right to build a border wall or fence if they want to.

If the democrats were smarter maybe they could have got some concessions on other issues in return. Not that I favor that kind of strategic deal making, but....just saying.

Now the democrats have dug in so deep though it's hard to see a way out. If they cave now, it's a bad precedent.

In some other countries, mainly in Europe and Asia, a situation like this might be resolved by a public vote, i.e. a referendum. In the US, that is never even considered as a possibility (I know there is no legal framework for it).

There really needs to be more attempt to reach across and make an agreement. Can Trump agree to spend $1 billion worth of wall for now, or $2 billion, kick the decision on the rest into 2021, and in return get support from enough other politicians (including democrats) to make it pass.

I think it's unhelpful for the democrats to call the wall "immoral". A country has a right to build a border wall or fence if they want to.

If the democrats were smarter maybe they could have got some concessions on other issues in return. Not that I favor that kind of strategic deal making, but....just saying.

Now the democrats have dug in so deep though it's hard to see a way out. If they cave now, it's a bad precedent.

In some other countries, mainly in Europe and Asia, a situation like this might be resolved by a public vote, i.e. a referendum. In the US, that is never even considered as a possibility (I know there is no legal framework for it).
I think it's unfortunate that he is blaming the Democrats at all. The GOP had control of both chambers for the first two years of his administration and he still couldn't get enough support for his wall. Now he's basically being a bully by trying to circumvent the process by which Congress governs with regard to the budget. He is the one who started all of this in the first place because he couldn't get what he wanted. I really hope the Democrats don't cave, because then it just reinforces his boorish, bullying behavior. We have three branches of government, not one, and he needs to get that through his head.

Interesting take on the shutdown:

No Check, Snowed In and No End in Sight: How Black D.C. Is Surviving Trump’s Government Shutdown

You have to hand it to President Trump, the government shutdown is the perfect chance for him to advance his two main agendas, the mainstreaming of white nationalism and authoritarianism, all while dominating the news cycle. If you want to actively harm African Americans and Latinos there’s hardly a better way than shutting down the federal government to build a border wall against Mexico.
Endemic discrimination in the private sector forces many African Americans to pursue middle-class dreams through working for the federal government. African Americans make up 18 percent of federal employees, and 21 percent of SES (Senior Executive Service) positions compared to being only 8 percent of executive board members across all fortune 500 companies in America.

This is especially the case in the DMV (D.C., Maryland and Virginia area) where the bulk of employment is either directly or indirectly associated with the federal government. Everyone here knows all too well that Republican dog whistles about “lazy” federal employees have always been a proxy attack on black Americans in the same way the border wall is a symbolic attack on Latinos. He may be lazy, corrupt and a tool of Russia but when it comes to racism, Trump is pretty efficient.

Last February, the Democrats offered to approve over 23 billion dollars for trump's wall in exchange for a deal for the Dreamers. trump said he wouldn't agree to that.

After the midterm election in November, the Democrats offered somewhere in excess of one billion dollars (I think it was $1.3 billion), no strings attached, just to keep the government open. trump refused that.

Nothing immoral about the Berlin wall, eh?

What's immoral about it is that the "Build the wall!" rhetoric is that it's a clear rallying cry to the racist base - keep those brown people out. The Canadian/U.S. border is extremely porous. Just again within the last week or so, a huge drug shipment was confiscated there, yet no one is worried about building a wall there. I wonder why....

What's immoral about building a wall is the devastation to wildlife and the environment. The first part of the wall, if funded, will be built through a wildlife sanctuary that's on federally owned land. It will destroy the sanctuary, which is home to multiple endangered species, at least one of which is expected to become extinct almost immediately. The wall will disrupt migratory paths for many species, deny animals access to rivers, which they rely upon for drinking water, etc. The list of negative impacts on wildlife goes on and on.

What's immoral about the wall is that it will bisect Native lands, ranches, historic sites, etc. Tens of thousands of acres will be on the "wrong" side of the wall.

And guess what? If the wall as contemplated by trump is built, it will cover only half of the U.S./Mexico border, because the terrain in many places is simply not conducive to wall building. Actual construction cost estimates are in excess of $50 billion. So, all that money spent, all that disruption, all those animal deaths - for a wall that does nothing. Do you call that moral?

See the first part of my answer.

trump has been talking for a long time about wanting a shutdown, that shutdowns are "easy." Would you like me to provide you with links to videos of trump saying these things?

This is accurate.

Last edited:

To add to Mischief's list...there is also the issue of eminent domain. The government's "right" to seize property if it deems it necessary for the public good. There are a bunch of people who would be forced to sell their land so the government could build the wall.

To add to Mischief's list...there is also the issue of eminent domain. The government's "right" to seize property if it deems it necessary for the public good. There are a bunch of people who would be forced to sell their land so the government could build the wall.
Yup. This is why the wildlife area I mentioned above is going to be the first to be sacrificed - it takes time to seize property by eminent domain, and the wildlife refuge is already owned by the federal government, so the bulldozers can go in immediately.

They're going to be clearing large areas on either side of the wall, and keeping them clear, plus building all kinds of access roads for the construction process. The environmental impact is huge.

2017-04-21t234815z_233266403_rc1f75ec0740_rtrmadp_3_usa-immigration_b63f101fd72c2e3d5283700ba5253955.nbcnews-ux-2880-1000.jpg