Life Sciences The forest-destroying invasive species you've never heard of

I heard of them as well. ;) I didn't realize that most species aren't native to North America, nor that they destroy forest ecologies.

Earthworms are pretty dang powerful.

I have some huge ones in the garden. Thought I was doing pretty good for the soil until I learned that earthworms aren't even native to my state!

I have some huge ones in the garden. Thought I was doing pretty good for the soil until I learned that earthworms aren't even native to my state!

Still good to have in your garden. Whatever native worms were there if there were any probably wouldn't be suited for yard-living. The other great earth-mover is the ant, and I don't know about you, but I certainly don't want ants in the garden. :no:

We had a native prairie worm that's now possibly endangered (if anyone cared about worms, or could even find them to figure out if they are endangered, that is) in my area, but they are only suited for the prairie that was, and it's gone forever now...

I like what Paul Watson has to say about worms. That they are more important than people. Not just because it outrages people when they hear it. That's a bonus. But because it is true. He says that the world can survive perfectly well without people, but not without worms. There are countless "humble" life forms without which the biosphere wouldn't even have developed in the first place. People need to remember that. :worms:

Probably in part because 'worms' is a spectacularly broad collection of creatures. 'People' is pretty limited by comparison.