The Everything Animal Thread

I always wonder about fostering and whether you know beforehand how long the animal would be staying with you. I would find it difficult to do if you didn't have a rough idea if it was 3 months or 3 years.🤔

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
I always wonder about fostering and whether you know beforehand how long the animal would be staying with you. I would find it difficult to do if you didn't have a rough idea if it was 3 months or 3 years.🤔

That indeed would help the rescue centres and sanctuaries as they are overflowing with abandoned dogs. People's animal welfare society do a fantastic job and volunteers are based all over the UK. You could call Hannah (I have her phone number) who could help you to become
a foster mum. I know that this network would appreciate any help when possible.

• Friendly
I might do it when I don't have my pets. I don't know how my dog would react to a cat she doesn't know. I wouldn't want to take a risk. She is always fine with my cats, but she grew up with them.

I did look at one centre in London just now and they said the average a cat stays with you is 2-3 months and by that time they are normally adopted.

I heard about this a bit on the news but I didn't look at any photos or read about it. What I heard is that it was fuel for several conspiracy theories - like if Kate had died and they were covering it up.
I had no idea it had to do with ducks or cats.
what is the significance of those red circles?
(bold emphasis mine) I couldn't tell for sure... but there seemed to be several almost-identical photos that differed slightly, and the circles indicated areas of the photo that might have been photoshopped, or edited in some way from one original photo. But it's comical to imagine the four of them holding very still, smiles included, while someone else scoots in between taking each picture to place a cat, or cats, or a sign, or a seagull...

Upon second look, I think some of them WERE photoshopped. One photo appears to have Kate's two hands around the two boys' waists, but the photo with her holding the sign still has two hands around the boys also.

(bold emphasis mine) I couldn't tell for sure... but there seemed to be several almost-identical photos that differed slightly, and the circles indicated areas of the photo that might have been photoshopped, or edited in some way from one original photo. But it's comical to imagine the four of them holding very still, smiles included, while someone else scoots in between taking each picture to place a cat, or cats, or a sign, or a seagull...

Upon second look, I think some of them WERE photoshopped. One photo appears to have Kate's two hands around the two boys' waists, but the photo with her holding the sign still has two hands around the boys also.
The photo that was in the news was supposedly photoshopped. Then the internet being the internet thought it needed to be photoshopped some more - hence the ducks, cats etc.

• Agree
Reactions: KLS52
Well you don't know when they'll get adopted...
Every cat we've had had been a foster, and the ones I rescued. Mostly moms whose kittens got taken quickly, but no one took them :(. I always wonder about those kittens.

• Friendly
  • Informative
Reactions: KLS52 and Raven
Well you don't know when they'll get adopted...
Every cat we've had had been a foster, and the ones I rescued. Mostly moms whose kittens got taken quickly, but no one took them :(. I always wonder about those kittens.
I felt guilty after fostering Stella (whom I kept) and her mom and six siblings. The kittens all got adopted and I would see the mom on their website looking for a home for her. She wasn't the nicest of cats and didn't fit in with the rest of my crew at the time. I did consider it briefly but ended up keeping Stella because she had the problem with aspirating when she ate/drank and I felt like she needed special care.

• Friendly
Reactions: shyvas
I felt guilty after fostering Stella (whom I kept) and her mom and six siblings. The kittens all got adopted and I would see the mom on their website looking for a home for her. She wasn't the nicest of cats and didn't fit in with the rest of my crew at the time. I did consider it briefly but ended up keeping Stella because she had the problem with aspirating when she ate/drank and I felt like she needed special care.

Thank you for adopting Stells. I do remember you posting pix of her when she was a youngster.

• Friendly

Brighton: Southern Rail halts trains to move seagull from railway

1712129686223.png

1712130423506.png

1712130760391.png

This baby caused some commuter chaos at Brighton station yesterday causing delays to and from London/Gatwick and Brighton. The disruption lasted for one hour 30 minutes. Passengers were advised to add an extra 20 minutes of travel time. Even the usually fast Gatwick Express was delayed.

One of the rehabbers spotting the poor baby on the railways tracks when she was boarding a train. So, an alert was sent to the
rescue group via WA and the staff at the station were contacted. The person in charge of the rescue and a member of staff captured it
below the platform once the electricity was cut off. The rescue did take a few hours to complete (it was cornered by a member of staff and the rescuer who caught it in a net) but there was a happy ending. Awaiting to know how the baby is doing. One thing for sure is that she/he doesn't life frankfurters and refused to eat them.

I'm so proud to be part of this rescue group which work wonders to save our beautiful wildlife.

This is one of the things that I miss about the UK as over here there is no way that trains would have been stopped for a gull. Sadly, two years ago when a pet cat managed to escape from her carrier at a railway station she was run over by a TGV train. The staff simply refused to switch off the electricity to be able to rescue her. She was run over by a TGV train in front of her human family.

• Friendly
Reactions: KLS52 and KellecoUK
I'm the worst foster person ever. I can't give them up if I've had them longer than a few days. I admire people who do it. Thank goodness for people who foster. 🥰
I truly believe you have to be a special type of person to foster [animals or children!]. I think I'd quickly become to attached and struggle to let them go.

Brighton: Southern Rail halts trains to move seagull from railway

View attachment 30488

View attachment 30489

View attachment 30490

This baby caused some commuter chaos at Brighton station yesterday causing delays to and from London/Gatwick and Brighton. The disruption lasted for one hour 30 minutes. Passengers were advised to add an extra 20 minutes of travel time. Even the usually fast Gatwick Express was delayed.

One of the rehabbers spotting the poor baby on the railways tracks when she was boarding a train. So, an alert was sent to the
rescue group via WA and the staff at the station were contacted. The person in charge of the rescue and a member of staff captured it
below the platform once the electricity was cut off. The rescue did take a few hours to complete (it was cornered by a member of staff and the rescuer who caught it in a net) but there was a happy ending. Awaiting to know how the baby is doing. One thing for sure is that she/he doesn't life frankfurters and refused to eat them.

I'm so proud to be part of this rescue group which work wonders to save our beautiful wildlife.

This is one of the things that I miss about the UK as over here there is no way that trains would have been stopped for a gull. Sadly, two years ago when a pet cat managed to escape from her carrier at a railway station she was run over by a TGV train. The staff simply refused to switch off the electricity to be able to rescue her. She was run over by a TGV train in front of her human family.

Update: The poor gull has a old wound on it's wing and is in safe hands at Bird Aid.

Judging by the comments a lot of viewers thought this was satirical or ironic or something. but I think the poster is really a dog lover. Most of her videos include her dog.