The Bird Thread

Never add sugar to water for birds. Most of them do not tolerate sugar and will have serious health problems. Just leave a
bowl of plain water out for them.
Down here it’s used as a winter liquid feed for wax eyes . They turn up about May(our winter) and clean 8 litres of sugar water a day . It’s an amazing site ,like bees around a hive .They are very protective of the sugar water with the exception of tui a much larger bird .
We have two water feeders for the rest .

Down here it’s used as a winter liquid feed for wax eyes . They turn up about May(our winter) and clean 8 litres of sugar water a day . It’s an amazing site ,like bees around a hive .They are very protective of the sugar water with the exception of tui a much larger bird .
We have two water feeders for the rest .

How do you make sure that other species do not drink the sweetened water?

I don’t have to there are hundreds of wax eyes at the feeder all day and they keep all the others away except for tui.As I said they they empty 8 litres of sugar water per day.
I see. :) However, just in case other members were reading, I thought that it was important to highlight this information. Only a certain breed of birds can consume sweetened water and others should only be given plain water.

• Informative
Reactions: Deleted member 3018
Never add sugar to water for birds. Most of them do not tolerate sugar and will have serious health problems. Just leave a
bowl of plain water out for them.
Including hummingbirds? I don't feed them but I always thought it was plain white sugar added to boiled water.

Including hummingbirds? I don't feed them but I always thought it was plain white sugar added to boiled water.

I would have to google the list. However, to be on the safe side, do not add sugar to water for birds. Salt and sugar
will cause them to have serious health problems.

The problem arises if other birds come to feed on the syrup, aside the nectar feeding birds.

Reactions: KLS52
338730711_128902023481893_2999335207366670703_n.jpg

Brambles Wildlife Rescue.

Meet Felicity, a baby collared dove who arrived from our friends at The Veterinary Health Centre Ltd for help earlier this week. She has suspected calcium deficiency and general weakness after a predator attack but is doing well so far
🕊
💗