US The Big C and making the jump

Being a healthy vegan doesn't have to be expensive. You don't have to grow your own food. Things like brown rice, lentils, beans, and potatoes are cheap and healthy. Even green vegetables are cheaper than meat, dairy, and eggs.

The idea that being vegan is expensive is misinformation spread by the meat, dairy, and egg industries. When my husband and I first went vegan, our shopping and restaurant costs went down, even though we were eating a lot of processed vegan foods at the time.

Check out Dr. McDougall's starch diet. It's inexpensive, and it's really good for preventing or curing all sorts of diseases.

I have a coat tree with planter baskets hanging from it.

The downside is that it needs to be equally weighted on all sides so it doesn't fall over. Right now, all the weights are planter baskets, so I'm growing some shade tolerant plants in the back (pothos). The front baskets have tomatoes, thyme and Swiss chard.

I have other planter baskets hanging in the windows too. I'm growing all kinds of things.

Gardening can be expensive at the beginning, but there are ways to cut costs - building your own containers, repurposing things into containers, finding free containers, finding free dirt, asking friends for cuttings you can propagate, etc. If you take the time to explore those options, it's cheap to free.