Summer Pudding

shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
It is one of the most traditional British puddings served during the summer months. It is made in a pudding basin with a few basic ingredients ; berries, sugar and bread.
It is left to soak overnight and turned out onto a plate and usually served with cream.

The dessert was most popular from the late 19th to the early 20th century. However in modern Britain, all the well known chefs still debate on the best techniques for making this rather basic pudding.

00852127.jpg

How to cook perfect summer pudding | Life and style | The Guardian

Summer-Recipes_640x360_Web-Image-SummerPudding.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: CrowCaw
I don't think I've ever seen red currants here. What is a similar fruit that could be used in its place?

I have never seen anything like that before. Interesting concept and recipe.
Soggy bread does not appeal to me at all though, but the berries look delicious. Has anything ever been substituted for the bread part?

I have never seen anything like that before. Interesting concept and recipe.
Soggy bread does not appeal to me at all though, but the berries look delicious. Has anything ever been substituted for the bread part?

No; it holds the pudding together and it doesn't taste like a soggy jam sandwich. :p

Prehaps you should read Nigel Slater's article. He really is one of the best cooking writers in the UK.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2001/aug/05/foodanddrink.recipes

I don't think I've ever seen red currants here. What is a similar fruit that could be used in its place?

You can use extra brambles or raspberries.:)

Reactions: thefadedone
Ooooooo, yum...I wonder how it would work using a nice pound cake instead of bread...

Reactions: ledboots
Ooooooo, yum...I wonder how it would work using a nice pound cake instead of bread...

It would as long as you use the exact method, however it wouldn't be anything like Summer pudding. You really do need good quality sliced bread and the end result is really tasty.

Reactions: KLS52
Well, you know me...always trying to ruin a good thing by making it less healthy/more fattening, lol.

Reactions: RascalsMom
I find James Martin's ( a young UK chef) excellent as he gives you one or two tips and techniques. Don't be put off by the beginning of the video as they discuss how much food we waste in the UK.

He shows you how to make Summer pudding, step by step. The only thing that differs is that I think you really should put a weight over the basin and leave it for a few hours in the fridge and you have to serve it with cream.

Reactions: KLS52