Suburbia

I currently live in a very unusual community of 85,000 people. I really do not know how to classify this city that was developed in the 1960's as a "bedroom community" for the major city of Orlando, Florida. I tend to call it "suburbia" because the "city" consists mainly of residences and a few strip malls. There is no downtown and no industry. Most people who live here commute to Orlando or Daytona Beach or other smaller cities around Deltona, myself included. There is literally nothing to do in Deltona.

One thing that is a positive is that there are no "bad areas", slums, or racially divided neighborhoods. Most neighborhoods are a mixture of people of all economic and social status. There are a few "better" areas but for the most part it is a big "melting pot."

I like it here in that it is fairly easy to get to the beach and Orlando, but sometimes I wish I lived within walking distance of SOMETHING.

Are the suburbs really such a horrible place to live?

The answer depends on what you consider is important.

If you just want larger yards and economical prices, the suburbs are good.

If you dislike urban sprawl, automobile-centric communities, loss of farmland, fracturing of habitat, and a host of other valid environmental concerns, then the suburbs look pretty ugly.

Reactions: kazyeeqen
My suburb has plenty of nature. Also public pools. Tennis courts, ball fields, bowling alley, book store, small movie theater, hills for sledding or sling, fields for cross county, a small nightclub, berry orchards, etc.

Not all suburbs are just static row of duplicate houses.

My suburb has nature too. Still boring.

Yours doesnt sound like a suburb, it sounds more like a small town. All mine has is a corner shop and a takeaway bar.

I think of a suburb as a bedroom community within commuting distance of an urban area. Sometimes they are separate towns, sometimes within the city but zoned residential.

Reactions: beancounter
^ This, except sometimes suburbs are not within commuting distance of urban areas. Sometimes town planners can go a bit crazy and build nothing but houses for miles and miles.

Why do people always use the term "bedroom community" when referring to suburbs. This implies that cities don't have bedrooms, which of course they do.

So where did the term originate, and why is it associated solely with suburbs?

I always took it to mean that the inhabitants commute to work by day and get home in the late evening...you don't really get to know your neighbors because everyone is always working so you don't see each other. I didn't think bedroom community went hand in hand with suburbia, however.