Stressed out about medication

I doubt if there is any truly vegan or cruelty-free medication.

Oh, there are a number of things you can do to increase the "kindness" factor of medication. Maybe someone here has some more experience and can tell you about it.

I don't worry about it because I take almost no medication. Sort of I'll cross that bridge when i get to it. But I think when I get to that bridge I will firmly close my eyes and run across it.

Modern medicine is almost always tested on animals. And whether or not the animals are killed during testing, they are almost always destroyed after the test. Plus they are all bred and kept in captivity just for that purpose.

If you ever wondered why most of the cruelty-free promoting organizations use the word bunny or pictures of bunnies, its because rabbits are very popular in the animal testing programs. Rats are still more popular but I imagine that Cruelty-free Rat or Rat Free just didn't have the appeal.

I'm not sure what its called... I'll call it Legacy Medicine. That would be un-modern medication. Things like Aspirin and Penicillin. If there were animal testing programs back then - well those animals died a long time ago. I'm not sure we can be held responsible for them. Sins of our fathers or something.

There is also what I guess we have to call the cost-benefit ratio. If you would kill a shark that is about to eat your baby brother, isn't that more ethical than to let him eat your baby brother? How about parasites that have invaded your body? Your home? your cupboard? Taking medicine - even one that has been made by grinding up kittens - to save your life - is still pretty ethical. Think of it this way. You can do a lot more good in the world if you are still alive.

There is something else to consider. How necessary is animal testing? I am very sure that there is a lot of animal testing that is very necessary. But I am also sure that there is some that is not at all necessary. Here in the 21st centrury, there is a lot of awareness in the medical community. But that awareness was sort of forced on them by animal activists. There is not much you can do on your own to shape policy in this area. But IMHO, PETA has an excellent track record in this area. Join PETA, its membership dues are less than $20/year. And besides the satisfaction of feeling like you are doing something, you get a newsletter and a calendar. :)

Oh, shoot. I just realized that you may have used the word "medication" to include things like supplements. Just look for Vegetarian on the label or use google to find the vegan version. The trickiest one is vitamin D but even that one has lots of vegan alternatives available. oh, and avoid the ones in gelatin capsules unless the word vegetarian is on the label.

Thank you thats great information. where would i find vegan medication online or in a store (as there are animal by-products in medicines). :)

Are you using the word "medication" to include supplements?
You usually need a prescription to buy real medicine. Oh. I guess there are also plenty of Over-The-Counter meds.

Most prescription meds you can't buy online. Although I did hear an ad on the radio for online ED meds.

The other thing - that I brought up and discussed in detail was that Almost Everything medication -wise has been tested on animals. So ultimately they are not vegan. And if you really need the medication - it shouldn't be something you think about too much. the phrase "whenever practical" comes to mind.

Although I did a little extra googling and did find that some organizations, like the Vegan Society to have a database of animal-free medications. Just remember that they may not contain animals but they most likely have been tested on animals.

One highly thought of YouTube Vegan, BiteSizeVegan has written and YouTubed extensively on this subject. You may want to read this post
http://www.bitesizevegan.org/bite-size-vegan-nuggets/qa/is-medication-vegan/

and here is the list from the Vegan Society. It seems to be a UK list. I didn't find anything similar for the US.
https://www.vegansociety.com/resources/nutrition-and-health/medications/list-animal-free-medications

The Thrive Market has a lot of vegan supplements. but you can also go to Amazon or really any online vitamin and supplement shop, and search for "Vegan _____" and get some good results.

Here is a very NON-comprehensive list of OTC meds that do not contain animal products.
Bayer Aspro Clear tablets, Beechams Flu Plus Caplets, Alka Seltzer, and Tums.
I actually take Tums regularly - so this made me feel a little better.

I take medicine because I NEED to. I've been taking thyroxine since I was an 8 month old baby as I was born with an under active thyroid. I now take it in liquid form as the tablet form contains lactose. I can't not take this medicine. Even failing to take the odd dose makes me sluggish.

I also take pain medicine, anti depressant and anti psychotic drugs as I suffer from mental health issues and have been having eye pain and other pain since the summer.

I'm totally against animal testing but I need the medicine and the definition of veganism ends with 'as far as possible' so as doing without medicine for me isn't possible I just have to do it and hope one day their will be a cruelty free alternative for people like me.

I take medicine because I NEED to. I've been taking thyroxine since I was an 8 month old baby as I was born with an under active thyroid. I now take it in liquid form as the tablet form contains lactose. I can't not take this medicine. Even failing to take the odd dose makes me sluggish.

I was recently diagnosed with an under active thyroid and prescribed meds to correct it. The initial meds my dr prescribed were not vegan friendly. I spent half an hour with my pharmacist researching alternatives. He found one -- levoxyl!

Yes, life is a very complicated thing right now, and I understand you.