Stopping sugar

Oh boy!
I have at times given up sugar, using fruit in all whole forms to sub. Sugar turned out to be the one processed food that I didn't find as hard to give up as others, like processed carbs or oils.
This past year I've gotten back to eating a lot of processed foods, oils and sugars.

When I give up sugar my mental clarity is better. I've been finding myself mixing up numbers, and sometimes having to pause thinking of the proper word.
Sugar flares up arthritic stiffness (oils even worse)

When I give up, or at least cut back, on sugar I find dates to be a tremendous substitute

I can't say with any certainty, but lately my vision has gotten noticably worse and I need to really work on cleaning my diet in general and see if it helps

Do you follow Dr Greger? Nutritionfacts.org?

Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
It's a bad idea because I've attempted sugar free at the behedst of so called experts (I should have known better) and I had sugar cravings because my body likes the physiochemicals and nutrients from pure cane sugar. I like many knew nothing about sugar and that our bodies do need it, just not the processed stuff obviously.

I've been eating this for years and in 2015 and 2020 two articles were published about pure cane sugar and I will post them here since they are not behind a pay walls and post a quote from the 2020 article as a TLDR though I highly recommend reading it because it's very informative. The brand we buy is on Amazon and it's called "

Wholesome Organic Cane Sugar

Phytochemical profile of sugarcane and its potential health aspects (2015)

Antioxidant activity, nutritional and physicochemical characteristics, and toxicity of minimally refined brown sugar and other sugars (2020)
"Cane sugar is an important foodstuff traded worldwide. Its consumption remains high because of its gustative, nutritional, and preservative properties that make it an essential nutrient (Payet, Sing, & Smadja, 2005). Cane sugar is a natural sweetener rich in sucrose and contains modest amounts of phytochemicals (Godshall, Vercellotti, & Triche, 2002)."

I have about 4-6 teaspoons throughout the day in my Chai, and I use it in my home made salad dressing. Does it hurt me? Well as a 44 year old mixed race female, I am 6' 164lbs (BMI 22 ish) and my regular blood pressure is 109/61 and 122/75 after 30 minutes of exercise and NO MEDICATIONS AT ALL. I do not take vitamin supplements either so I think I'm doing very well!

• Love
Reactions: Enlightened1
Back in March I was found to be pre-diabetic, although I've been vegetarian (and eating lots of carbs) since 1972. I've been cutting back on sweet things (baked goods). Here's hoping my next results will show an improvement.

I'm lucky in that I like fruit as much as cookies, doughnuts, etc.

Back in March I was found to be pre-diabetic, although I've been vegetarian (and eating lots of carbs) since 1972. I've been cutting back on sweet things (baked goods). Here's hoping my next results will show an improvement.

I'm lucky in that I like fruit as much as cookies, doughnuts, etc.
Me too I love fruits 🍉 🍌 🍎

Reactions: Tom L.
From Silk soy milk and trace amounts from when we eat raw veggies. In the US we have to pay for getting our B12 and other non standard tests like checking PFAS levels and checking for micro plastics. So far everything is going very well.

Silk soy milk with 30% daily req of B12
So in a way, you are taking supplements, just in the form of fortified soy milk.

Reactions: Lou
From Silk soy milk and trace amounts from when we eat raw veggies. In the US we have to pay for getting our B12 and other non standard tests like checking PFAS levels and checking for micro plastics. So far everything is going very well.

Most doctors test for b12 in the blood, which can be a false result. The MMA urine test is the only one that is accurate.

I would never risk even a slight b12 deficiency, it's far too inexpensive and easy to take a sublingual. Whatever b12 may be on the soil left on freshly pricked root veggies is negliable.

Reactions: Lou

Fortified soy milk is a good way to get B12.

keep in mind that you can only absorb so much B12 with each meal. To be on the safe side, you need 4 glasses of soy milk a day - or maybe 3 with a multi. Or less if you are also eating other fortified products.

maybe a better way is just to take a B12 supplement.

Reactions: Brian W
good interesting info on sugar.

You can also find this in a podcast version - wherever you get your podcasts

Fortified soy milk is a good way to get B12.

keep in mind that you can only absorb so much B12 with each meal. To be on the safe side, you need 4 glasses of soy milk a day - or maybe 3 with a multi. Or less if you are also eating other fortified products.

maybe a better way is just to take a B12 supplement.
I take a B12 supplement- but each individual tablet has about 80 times the RDA. The tablets aren't expensive, but I usually nibble a tiny bit of a tablet with each meal. Taking that much beyond the RDA just seems strange to me.

Reactions: Qettesh
I take a B12 supplement- but each individual tablet has about 80 times the RDA. The tablets aren't expensive, but I usually nibble a tiny bit of a tablet with each meal. Taking that much beyond the RDA just seems strange to me.
I didn't understand what was going on at first either. But finally it was explained to me. The science is well established but for most of us in the Gen Pop it's not well known or understood.

But here it is in a nutshell.

The site for B12 aborbtion is in the Lower small instentine. The first half of a mcg that reaches that site get absorbed. then the "gateway" is overwhelmed and needs a few hours to recharge. in the meantime it can continue to absorb some B12 - but at a rate around 1%.
So let's take a 500 mcg dose.
the first .5 mcg goes right in but then it slows down to 1%. So you'll end up absorbing something like 5.5 mcg.

its even less efficient with bigger doses. but fortunately even 2000 mcg does are pretty cheap.

I know somewhere there is a chart for it but basically you can take 1 mcg 3 or 4 times a day.
or you can take 500 mcg every day. or 2000 mcg once a week. Older adults might want to double that.

• Informative
Reactions: Tom L.
So in a way, you are taking supplements, just in the form of fortified
I didn't understand what was going on at first either. But finally it was explained to me. The science is well established but for most of us in the Gen Pop it's not well known or understood.

But here it is in a nutshell.

The site for B12 aborbtion is in the Lower small instentine. The first half of a mcg that reaches that site get absorbed. then the "gateway" is overwhelmed and needs a few hours to recharge. in the meantime it can continue to absorb some B12 - but at a rate around 1%.
So let's take a 500 mcg dose.
the first .5 mcg goes right in but then it slows down to 1%. So you'll end up absorbing something like 5.5 mcg.

its even less efficient with bigger doses. but fortunately even 2000 mcg does are pretty cheap.

I know somewhere there is a chart for it but basically you can take 1 mcg 3 or 4 times a day.
or you can take 500 mcg every day. or 2000 mcg once a week. Older adults might want to double that.
Pretty much! It's why natural ingestion of our micro nutrients is more than enough for our bodies. IF everything in our bodies works correctly then it's stored in bone marrow, skin and a few other places. To be honest, I guess this kind of research is good to know, but for us it's pointless, because we eat to live. I don't need a study to tell me eating fruits and veggies is good for my body. It's borderline stupid imo...but again, that's just my opinion and I don't mean any disrespect to anyone in here in general. I guess it's my way of disrespecting humanity for being the dumbest and most destructive species on the planet.