Spider catcher (and other creepy crawlies)

sleepydvdr

Forum Legend
Reaction score
I bought a spider catcher a few years ago and all of a sudden, it came to me that I should write a review on it.

I ran across this device about 5 years ago when visiting Ashville, NC. It cost about $20, but it has come in handy numerous times. It is an insect pick up device (I know spiders aren't insects, but to me they are - 6 legs / 8 legs it's just a technicality) that has a hand grip and trigger on your end and plastic bristles on the other. At rest, the bristles are squeezed together. When you squeeze the trigger, the bristles open up to catch or release the creepy crawly.

It works particularly well with my common home invaders: spiders and little worm thingies. You squeeze the trigger and the bristles open up. Then, let go of the trigger and the bristles close in and hold the insect in place so you can let them outside of your home. Earlier today, I tried to use it on a water bug that was stuck squirming around on it's back. He was fairly big and kept slipping through the bristles. I had to scoop him up in a cardboard box instead. But for smaller insects, it works great. It works best for smaller insects.

I cannot provide a definitive website to buy this device. Most that sell it accept British currency, so in America, it might be harder to find. I ran across mine on a streak of luck.

Anyways, if you can find one to buy, I would recommend getting one. Below, I am including a link that shows it in operation. The audio is in German, but you don't need to understand the language to see how it works. The one in the video looks exactly like the one I have and insects freeze up when caught. Then when you release them, they move on like nothing ever happened. It's actually a beautiful way of not squashing them with your shoe.

Overall, I would give this device 4.5 out of 5 stars. It hasn't killed anything I picked up with it yet, but it won't pick up larger insects like the water bug I had today.

http://www.locotoko.com/en/aanbiedingen/spider-catcher.html

Reactions: bEt
Oh I have one of these too, it's really good, I was worried it would harm them but mines never killed an insect/spider, and only seemed to hurt one once when I tried to use it and a spider was in a corner, so I now only use it on flat surfaces. I like that it's at an arms-length, I'm not scared of most insects but I am a bit nervous around big, thick, spiders. Much easier than trying to catch a spider/insect in a jar and also long enough I can release it out the ground-floor window onto a plant easily. Mines picked up every insect I've tried, but we don't have many big-insects here. I'd give it a 5/5, as long as you only use it on flat surfaces.

:)

Reactions: bEt