Soy curls

My issue will always be my sensitivity…aka disdain taste wise…to flavor/seasonings.
I tried them in my soup and it didn’t work out. I think my next endeavor will be to do a chick’n seasoning and then maybe make a gravy…they might be good as a kind of turkey with stuffing and mashed potatoes dish. And definitely cranberry sauce lol.
I don't like them in soup, don't like seitan in soup either
I do like them in gravies--Shepard pie was super good, and I'd like a pot pie too

I make a casserole like those leftover thanksgiving things. Layers of stuffing, curls in gravy, broccoli, cheese shreds, baked. Always have to rethink how I like the layers 🤔. Cranbery sauce side!!

I don't like them in soup, don't like seitan in soup either
I do like them in gravies--Shepard pie was super good, and I'd like a pot pie too

I make a casserole like those leftover thanksgiving things. Layers of stuffing, curls in gravy, broccoli, cheese shreds, baked. Always have to rethink how I like the layers 🤔. Cranbery sauce side!!
Your casserole sounds great! I might try that with leftovers.

Reactions: Emma JC
I love soy curl jerky! My first stab at it was a major success. I was worried that I had smoked them too long or too dry. I only did one pan of wood chips, but left them in the smoker to dehydrate an additional hour without smoke. I thought they were crispy at first glance, but they are perfect. They have retained just the right amount of moisture, and the flavour is amazing. They have a real meaty chew to the texture. I am beyond happy with the end result.

I took the ingredients from the recipes I thought looked tasty, and created a custom recipe mix. The end result must have been a stroke of luck. I am so impressed with these. What a darn tasty snack!

Here's what I used:

• ¾ cup hot water
  • ¼ cup tamari sauce
  • 2 teaspoons steak seasoning
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
  • 1 tablespoon avocado oil
  • 1 tablespoon Marmite
  • 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire
  • ½ teaspoon Sambal Oelek (garlic chili paste)
I put a squeeze of freeze lime juice in mine and sprinkled the moist soy curls with smoked maple sugar before putting them in the smoker. They probably spent two hours total in the smoker. I lucked out! I wouldn't change a thing to this recipe.

My process was a quick re-hydrate in hot water first. I then squeezed the water out. Now I put them in the marinade. I only did this because I recalled hearing, might have been Sauce Stache, saying if you don't rinse them first, they tend to have a funky taste to them. So I did it that way. They still soaked up more than enough of that marinade flavour. So having a nice texture, good flavour and real infused wood smoke, I could not ask for a better vegan jerky, imho.

Hello Veganite, I'd like to try your recipe but wondering what quantity of soy curls you used? Thanks!

Hello Veganite, I'd like to try your recipe but wondering what quantity of soy curls you used? Thanks!

Hello Lisa

I honestly don't remember the exact amount. Even my jerky ingredients list is subjective to changes and/or embellishments. What I did was select the biggest pieces from about 4 x 8 oz packages. It probably totaled just over a single package, but not by much. I hope that helps.

Hello Lisa

I honestly don't remember the exact amount. Even my jerky ingredients list is subjective to changes and/or embellishments. What I did was select the biggest pieces from about 4 x 8 oz packages. It probably totaled just over a single package, but not by much. I hope that helps.

Yes, that's great, at least I have an approximate idea. Thanks!

• Friendly
I just thought of another question, for approximately how long did you marinate? Thanks again!

It's basically in and out of the marinade. It does not need to soak. The soy curls are very absorbent. They will soak up the flavour immediately. So no marinading required. Let us know how your jerky comes out. I think you're going to love it!

It's basically in and out of the marinade. It does not need to soak. The soy curls are very absorbent. They will soak up the flavour immediately. So no marinading required. Let us know how your jerky comes out. I think you're going to love it!

I'm anxious to try it, won't be soon though because we just did a shitload of and we like to do multiple items at a time, once we've got the smoker fired up. Thanks again!