Some theory needed

Katt

Newcomer
Reaction score
Ok guys, please excuse my totally pagan question, but what is the difference between vegan and vegetarian? I am totally new to this.

Hey Katt basically..

Vegans do not consume meat, dairy or use products that contain animal ingredients and are against animal testing.

Vegetarians do not consume meat and I believe that's basically it.

Anyone else want to add?

And if you only consume fish and seafood how are you called? Is there a name for that?

It's still meat isn't it so you'll generally be classed as a meat eater or as I've heard some vegetarians/vegans call them "carnivores"

One of my friends has a friend that calls herself vegetarian but eats chicken occasionally...

There are also lacto-ovo , lacto or ovo vegetarians. I personally don't think labels matter, it's up to you and what you decide to eat. Generally vegans are stricter, but fruitarians are even stricter.

I consider anyone that eats any animal products is not a vegetarian, but if they want to call themselves that then it's up to them.

I understand why people don't eat meat but what is the explanation behind not eating eggs or drinking milk? Is it health related? A hen lays eggs anyways and a cow has to be milked, otherwisee the cow would be in pain.

Wow I didn't know about these labels and classifications before. Correct me if i'm wrong... from what I understand vegans don't consume meat for health and ethical reasons and vegetarians are just the general term right?
I think you would call a vegetarian who eats fish as pescatorian...

Katt said:
I understand why people don't eat meat but what is the explanation behind not eating eggs or drinking milk? Is it health related? A hen lays eggs anyways and a cow has to be milked, otherwisee the cow would be in pain.

I am confused about this also. Maybe eggs turn into chickens and the milk should be reserved for the calf?

Katt said:

Cows are constantly impregnated by farmers and are milked for many hours during the day, once cows have gave birth their young are taken away from them, female calf's are raised to become dairy cows and male calf's are raised to be slaughtered, the process keeps recycling. On top of this cows are likely to never see their young ever again, cows live a lot less because of exhaustion and illnesses.

Hens are genetically modified/bred to produce a lot more eggs than they would naturally produce in the wild and are caged for most if not all their life until the same as the above happens they either die of exhaustion of illness.
The reproduction process Is just as messed up as the cows, chicks are separated males are either sold for slaughter or killed where as female chicks are raised to produce eggs and then the process is repeated.

I'm sure I may have missed something else from the above, I've found a short video for both I recommend you watch.

You really need to ask yourself, "do you think this is natural? Do you not find this morally wrong?"

EDIT: Milk should be reserved for cows young rather than being mass produced for human consumption, do you know of any other mammal or race on the planet that takes milk from another animal?

"Just because you can doesn't mean you should.”

Often the baby cows are slaughtered for veel and the male baby chicks are ground up alive. Birds get their beeks melted off or chopped off and mother cows have hearts.. they suffer when they lose their babies over and over again until they can't produce milk (at young ages) then they too are shipped off for slaughter. And they suffer when their udders grow to feed a bunch of babies (sorry, grown adults) instead of just the one it gave birth too. Ladies who have given birth.. remember how painful it was filling up for just one? Imagine it. Then imagine having them attached to machinery all day. Imagine being forcefully impregnated over and over and chained up your whole life. Or crammed in tiny cages or set "free" to trample each other and live and eat in your own excrement.. if you don't die diseased and broken first. It's just a horrible industry. Even the ones who aren't literally beating up and torturing their animals aren't good places for them. It's torture to the ones that matter, regardless. But we're extremists for being so upset about this :/

what about chickens and cows you raise yourself in a healthy, nurturing, and safe environment? The chickens are going to lay eggs around your yard. There's no way around it. And once they lay they just abandon it. Same with the cows producing milk. If you reap the benefits, but in no way force them or try to manipulate them is it okay then?

what about chickens and cows you raise yourself in a healthy, nurturing, and safe environment? The chickens are going to lay eggs around your yard. There's no way around it. And once they lay they just abandon it. Same with the cows producing milk. If you reap the benefits, but in no way force them or try to manipulate them is it okay then?
Cows physically stop producing milk naturally just like human mother's do. It is meant to dry up and stop, but modern practices force it for much longer than they should, causing continual harm to the cow's body.

As for chickens and ducks etc, it is more interesting. I have a free access to duck eggs and I know those ducks. Are they forced to lay eggs - they are encouraged by feeding them a higher calorie diet through the winter and spring which stops them from stopping laying eggs because it is not taking too much out of them (they get the same supplement year round I will add). Would they naturally lay an egg everyday? Do I agree with it? I don't know, they have had their wings clipped so can't fly far, but they are happy, healthy and are pets and that is the point - they are pets! In the wild? I doubt they would lay an egg each each day. isn't that why we have flock of ducklings that go out with their parents onto the water... is mum still laying one egg each day at this point? How long do they take to incubate? If she laid an egg every day naturally even through incubation, then should she not be having a new baby duckling to look after say every other day (allowing for some to die)? Is it wrong to eat the eggs of rescued hens that lay? Surely we should not have to be rescuing hens as it is? but if we didn't what happens to them? They are no longer laying enough to keep themselves alive in the egg industry and will just get killed otherwise. Rescuing in them and eating those eggs if they lay, is that a problem? If we then feed those hens well enough through winter and the colder months, we are then encouraging their bodies to continue to lay eggs... Where do we draw the line?

Ok, I can deal with that. There are substitutes for all of it, so the eating habit changes aren't so severe and drastic.