So so much judging by family about being vegan

mrvegan

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
So so much judging by family about being vegan. Getting to be very tiring..

My wife and I are vegans now, for 3.5 years. We just had our 1st child who is now 3 months old who we are raising vegan. Both her parents and my mother are quite often telling us how bad this decision is, both being vegan and now raising our child vegan. How we simply are not getting the nutrition that our bodies need and that a bit of meat and dairy will I guess "magically" fix all of this. That our newborn isnt going to get what he needs from the breastfeeding. We both are quite careful about our food intake and do supplement daily with some vitamins (B12 and Omega3's). I'm not saying we are eating exactly PERFECT every single meal and every single day, but I think we do quite a good job and keeping healthy. Anyway, who the heck does eat perfectly everyday whether you are vegan or not. I'm just so growing tiring of all this judging. I'm thinking to go get a full blood exam (both of us) just to see the results, then go from there. I'm guessing we're just fine but if we aren't, then I suppose we would potentially reconsider our vegan lifestyle but this is something I DO NOT want to do....

Last edited:
Hi. You've posted here before with more or less the same problem. Seems like you got some pretty good advice before so I'm assuming you are just venting. which is cool. Whatever it takes.

Getting check ups that include some blood work is never a bad idea. Not sure how it works in Europe but over here in the US, full work ups are expensive and if a person is healthy they are unnecessary. So doctors are reluctant to require them. Paying for them yourselves is an option. over here there are companies/labs that do that.

at your next physical ask for a print out of your results. I can view my blood work at home on my computer and they even show the healthy/normal ranges for the test. But there are lots of tests that they don't regularly perform. Sometimes you can ask for one specifically and get it. Just admit you are vegan and they might test for B12. They probably will test your wife and baby for Iodine. You could also consult a Registered Dietician. They can maybe save you some bucks on testing by not including the truly unnecessary ones.

My advice is not to spend any money on the tests and just continue with your regular checkups. Chances are medical facts are not going to shut these people up.

Probably my favorite piece of advice is to check out the app and website for CronOmeter. It allows you to see how healthy your diet is. Just leave the targets set to the defaults. They are customizable but you really should know what you are doing before you mess with them. Just setting it up and learning it is a little time consuming but once you have used it for a little while it really only takes a few minutes a day.

It only shows the amount of nutrients you are consuming. Absorption is another matter. You need a blood test to check how your body is absorbing the nutrients. But consuming the nutrients is the issue here. We have a thread all about Cronometer or you can shoot me a PM with questions.

IMHO, when Carnists attack vegans its because they are acting defensively. they know eating meat is wrong. they have many excuses and rationales for not changing. Your existence challenges their rationales and makes them uncomfortable. Then they become defensive.

Its irrational behavior and not much we can do about it. Maybe the best thing is just to live a happy healthy vegan life. Quietly being a good example is more than enough.

For more on this check out Dr Melanie Joy's books and videos. "Why we eat..." is an especially good read.

Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
Hi. You've posted here before with more or less the same problem. Seems like you got some pretty good advice before so I'm assuming you are just venting. which is cool. Whatever it takes.

Getting check ups that include some blood work is never a bad idea. Not sure how it works in Europe but over here in the US, full work ups are expensive and if a person is healthy they are unnecessary. So doctors are reluctant to require them. Paying for them yourselves is an option. over here there are companies/labs that do that.

at your next physical ask for a print out of your results. I can view my blood work at home on my computer and they even show the healthy/normal ranges for the test. But there are lots of tests that they don't regularly perform. Sometimes you can ask for one specifically and get it. Just admit you are vegan and they might test for B12. They probably will test your wife and baby for Iodine. You could also consult a Registered Dietician. They can maybe save you some bucks on testing by not including the truly unnecessary ones.

My advice is not to spend any money on the tests and just continue with your regular checkups. Chances are medical facts are not going to shut these people up.

Probably my favorite piece of advice is to check out the app and website for CronOmeter. It allows you to see how healthy your diet is. Just leave the targets set to the defaults. They are customizable but you really should know what you are doing before you mess with them. Just setting it up and learning it is a little time consuming but once you have used it for a little while it really only takes a few minutes a day.

It only shows the amount of nutrients you are consuming. Absorption is another matter. You need a blood test to check how your body is absorbing the nutrients. But consuming the nutrients is the issue here. We have a thread all about Cronometer or you can shoot me a PM with questions.

IMHO, when Carnists attack vegans its because they are acting defensively. they know eating meat is wrong. they have many excuses and rationales for not changing. Your existence challenges their rationales and makes them uncomfortable. Then they become defensive.

Its irrational behavior and not much we can do about it. Maybe the best thing is just to live a happy healthy vegan life. Quietly being a good example is more than enough.

For more on this check out Dr Melanie Joy's books and videos. "Why we eat..." is an especially good read.
yah, you're right. im just angry and venting. sorry to post again..and thx for the reply

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou