Slow Computer

Lord Snot

Parsley Provider
Reaction score
In the past few days my laptop keeps having episodes where it goes very slowly. It's as if I'm starting up a huge programme, or running too many things at once. But all I have open is Chrome.

I've checked task manager and nothing is taking up large amounts of physical memory. Chrome is top of the list (running one extension - AdBlock Plus) and there's nothing there out of the ordinary.

I'm okay with software, but when it comes to hardware I'm useless. Is there anything I can do to troubleshoot and narrow down what might be wrong?

Hmm, usually if it's a hardware problem, things will stop working, not just slow down.

I know Firefox can be set up to download new versions of itself in the background, and that can make stuff really slow. I'm not sure that Chrome does the same though.

Is this on Windows? Maybe some trouble with anti-virus software? For something to slow down your computer it doesn't have to be consuming a lot of memory. Consuming CPU time is also a possibility.

How can I check what's consuming CPU time?

It hasn't happened in a while, fingers crossed whatever it was has sorted itself out.

Take some canned air and blow out the vents of our laptop. It sounds like a heating issue with the laptop. It might help somewhat

It's happened to me in the past. The computer won't overheat, it just stutters a bit when the vents and sinks are clogged. Just a thought, though. I'll think about it and come up with something else